Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #1
foldbak

Weight distribution hitch

I'm looking to purchase a new weight distribution hitch and looking at the Anderson unit. Does anyone have any experience with these?

https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...e-wd-kits.aspx
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:25 AM   #2
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
I'm looking to purchase a new weight distribution hitch and looking at the Anderson unit. Does anyone have any experience with these?

No experience, but I looked into it at one point. Seems good and convenient for smaller trailers, but once past 7K they don't seem to work as well.

THat's only based on what I read about them a few years back. I went with an Equal-i-zer I found used instead.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
steve james

anderson hitch

I specifically ordered an Anderson Hitch when we purchased our Cougar 22rb . towed it appx 950 miles round trip, no problems ,no noises , no pops no cracking sounds easy to hook up and no disconnect backing in a tight spot , that was easy. trailer dry 5.5K appox 6.5K with all our stuff. I would buy again.
steve james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
rfloyd

I have no experience with an Anderson however I have had 3 different weight distribution hitches until I purchased a used Hensley. I will never tow a travel trailer without a Hensley. Best money ever spent hands down.
rfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
steve james

hum, I haven't heard for Hensley hitches but I'm sure they are great. Most all the RV dealers in our area carry and recommend the Anderson hitch, glad we went with it. Thank you for the heads up on Hensley
steve james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #6
Bisjoe

We went with the Fastway, WD with sway control, and have been very happy with it. Easy and quick to set up for a trip and take down after.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...2-00-0600.html

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:28 AM   #7
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfloyd View Post
I have no experience with an Anderson however I have had 3 different weight distribution hitches until I purchased a used Hensley. I will never tow a travel trailer without a Hensley. Best money ever spent hands down.
I agree. The Hensley's and Proprides are expensive but worth every penny IMO. I started out with a Blue OX Sway Pro hitch that worked for 2 months, up until we drove through a wind storm on the way home from a weekend camping trip. We looked into a Hensley and found a remanufactured unit for about $1000 less than retail. It came with a lifetime warranty.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:49 AM   #8
KSH

They are literally worth their weight in gold. My propride has been great.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:31 AM   #9
foldbak

Well I've read the reviews and it appears to have a relatively good overall rating. Most of the negative reviews were referring to the friction material in the ball assembly wearing out over time which can be replaced. I like the fact that it doesn't weigh 100 lbs. I'll give it a shot and update.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #10
BadmanRick

You can spend all kinds of money on a Henesy. 2500$.00 or more and add about 250 lbs to your hitch weight. Or you can spend 250.00 on a camco Eza-lift with sway bar and it will work just as well. You are looking at poverty 500.00 for an Anderson. I like the idea but I’m cheap and bought the best for the least money. Yes the sway far moans and growns in a turn but not for long after it removes the rust off. It works the same as the breaks on your vehicle. You don’t hear the breaks after applying a couple of times.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
Bttravel

Have used one since September 2015 and wouldn't have anything else. Pulling 10K trailer and no noise, no grease and easy quick hitch up and off. Great customer service. Had some problems after one year with the ball unit an they sent me a new replacement that had been upgraded to eliminate the problem.
1997 Ranger Rebel
Bttravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:00 PM   #12
Bamabox

We have a Cougar XLite 22 RBS. Bought an Anderson from the hit, so have no frame of reference to anything else, especially ones with bars. It seems very good for anti-sway. Still feel a little movement when a tractor trailer goes by at 10 mph above my speed, but very minimal. As far as weight distribution goes, I have a Ram 3500 with that relatively small trailer. I’m not sure that chains can physically act the same as a bar when it comes to WD, but as I said, I have never had anything else so I cannot judge. Having said all that, I’m very happy with it. And would recommend to anyone with a trailer in my weight class.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:33 PM   #13
foldbak

Well I did it. I just towed it home from the dealer. The trailer sits level and the Exposition sits about the same as it did with the husky. It towed great! Zero noise! I cant rate the sway control yet as there was no wind. We'll be taking it out in 2 weeks and I'll update then. So far a good purchase for $695 installed. A third the weight of the Husky!
Old 05-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Good luck and keep us in the loop on how it works for you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #15
bryon4

We have the 10,000 lb. Equalizer. Love it.
bryon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:08 AM   #16
foldbak

The verdict is in! I give the Anderson weight distribution hitch a 9 out of 10.

Pros

1. Weight distribution performed as expected. Same as my old Husky. Much lighter components.
  2. Sway control exceeded my expectations. Better then my old setup "2 Friction Sway Controls". 300 mile drive on freeway and windy coastal roads. Speeds from 55 to 70. It felt better at 70! At one point my wife said "I cant feel the trailer" I could feel the initial contact but the hitch corrected immediately.
  3. Zero creaks pops or noise of any sort!
Cons
  1. Hookup is awkward. Have to lower trailer onto the ball to lock the tongue and then remove all of the weight by raising the tongue in order to pin the plate to the ball.
  2. Must connect and disconnect with the truck and trailer straight inline.
All in all I'm very happy!
Old 06-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #17
MVBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post

The issue with the Anderson, and most units like it. Is that they only act to dampen sway after the fact. The Reese "Straight-Line" Dual Cam system actually acts real time to counteract sway as it is happening. Rather then trying to dampen it once it has happened.
MVBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #18
MVBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve james View Post
hum, I haven't heard for Hensley hitches but I'm sure they are great. Most all the RV dealers in our area carry and recommend the Anderson hitch, glad we went with it. Thank you for the heads up on Hensley
The Hensley Arrow is the best unit you can get; however they are VERY expensive (like $2K), so most folks don't drop the $$$ on one.
MVBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #19
Northofu1

LOVE my blue OX 1500, would buy it all over again.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:59 AM   #20
jst4fn

You don't have to be straight inline to disconnect and connect. You can connect at an angle if you back in close to the same angle you disconnected at. If you are too far off the angle just connect the chain that is closest and then drive forward and turn the opposite direction and connect the other chain. There's a page in the manual that describes the procedure.
jst4fn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch