Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
Lpmt

1st trip in the books!

We were finally able to go to a campground with the new trailer.....some big learning curves, but most of concerns put to rest about how things function. 1st off campground was close to our home, so I did some recon prior to going to see where site was, where I was going to park, etc....nicely see that there is a water tap at the site, yay, Ontario parks don't have water hook-ups, this is new! Since I was going to be setting up myself as the DW wouldn't be arriving till later that night I wanted as much info as possible. So Scout and I arrive, she patiently awaits in the truck while I pull in, level up and get ready to go, we are pretty proud of ourselves...until I am standing at the tap with my fancy water pressure/filter hook-up dealy...only to realize that the tap isn't threaded and I don't have the fancy connector. So back in the truck Scout goes, button up the trailer, because now I have to go fill the water tank!
All filled up, we get a do over on setting up the trailer, practice makes perfect, right! Scout happily follows me around while I get it set-up...again. She felt that perhaps some supervision was in order this time.
DW shows up, questions Scout and I on some items we forgot to bring...but we set up alone, twice!
Tear down was seamless, first time dumping tanks caused a giggle as we both stood there watching the yuckies drain.
Still at rookie level, but learning everyday we are in it. So much fun to be had!
All in all an amazing weekend, will be better when the blackflies are gone.
Lpmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Ecellent!! your going to be a seasoned pro in no time

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
Logan X

Congratulations on your maiden voyage! It sounds like it was a great trip! All the little things that go wrong just add to the adventure.

You may want to pick up a water bandit. It will hook up to a hose bib that isn’t threaded and let you connect your hose.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Plumbing-Ho...ces/B000EDOSKG
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Lpmt

Perfect! Thanks I'll pick one of those up!
Old 05-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
notanlines

LPMT, glad it worked out for you! I always suspected our doxie ran and told my DW when I did stupid things....
About our third year in Florida we had a neighbor for a month who would dump his tanks every third day or so while we sat out under the canopy. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he didn't pick good times for that particular task.
He picked the same task one afternoon when we were hosting 'happy hour' and the other ten or twelve people immediately clued him in to his social faux pah. He was embarrassed to say the least, and it didn't happen anymore.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
Whitewolf

LPMT - YOU my friend have the right attitude. Things WILL happen. I don't know how many members there are on this site but I'll bet each and every one of us has a story. You and Scout keep that attitude and you're going to be 'Happy Campin'.

In fact, if we all had the attitudes of the 'Scouts' out there, it'd be a great time.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:15 AM   #7
newemptynester

So glad your first trip was great. Everyone forgets things and having to set up twice alone is a good learning experience. Sounds like Scout is a great supervisor. You have a wonderful attitude. If my husband could not hook up to the water you would have heard a new camping language, he would have went to find the part he needed and then hooked up to the water. Luckily - MI State campgrounds (99% of them) do not have water on the site so you bring it from home or fill up when you get there, so we know in advance. Have a fantastic camping season. Enjoy
2013 Laredo 29RKS

newemptynester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
RMC

Get a funnel

We had a similar experience with our first dry camping trip with our brand new trailer (Passport 2200).

I was expecting campground to have at least one tap that I could use to fill the fresh water tank from. Not a chance. This campground had only a single hand pump for the entire campground. We had to carry water back to our site in 5 gallon jugs and then pour it into the water tank by hand. Without a funnel or spout. It took forever to get tank one third full.

And then the batteries died and we couldn't use the water anyway. But that is another story.

We now have a simple $2 funnel included in the trailer supplies.
RMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #9
IMASAP

Glad the trip went well. I'll second the water bandit. I made a simple funnel for filling our water tank when dry camping (using a 5 gallon jug to get the water back to the camper). I bought an inexpensive plastic funnel from a box store, warmed it up with a plumber's torch, and put a bit of a bend in it. A heat gun would work also. I put the funnel into the water fill and it stays put..... no holding needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150719_084912.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	21996  
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
Lpmt

The funnel is an awesome idea, but the stupid plumbing in the Cougar rises above the fill spout before it drops in to tank. Re-route plumbing, I know and it will happen in time, but for now it needs to be under pressure coming in. I'd love to have a sit down with whoever designs these things, horribly messy and inefficient.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:30 PM   #11
Spletbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpmt View Post
The funnel is an awesome idea, but the stupid plumbing in the Cougar rises above the fill spout before it drops in to tank. Re-route plumbing, I know and it will happen in time, but for now it needs to be under pressure coming in. I'd love to have a sit down with whoever designs these things, horribly messy and inefficient.
Have you/anyone tried filling through the overflow? I heard that can be done with no water pressure (ie, From a jug) but haven’t tried it yet...
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:54 PM   #12
Lpmt

I ended up using that option to sanitize the plumbing, worked fine.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:14 AM   #13
Spletbr

How did you get the plug cover off?
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:43 AM   #14
Lpmt

I used the vent, not sure if that's the same as overflow, mine just had a screen on it that popped out.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #15
kjohn

Our 2017 21RBS had no filler opening. After two Jayco 197's, it was a bit of an awakening. Filling through the overflow/vent is about the only reasonable way, I guess.

I solved the "Oh bleep! No water here?" problem. I carry a plastic upright 20 gal(Cdn) tank in my truck and have it plumbed so I can hook a garden hose to it to fill and also hook a garden hose to another valve and pump water to the trailer with a 12v whizzer pump. Works like a charm. I carry a 12v battery at the back of the truck box to power the little pump. It lasts a long time on a charge.

I also carry a 45 gal DEF barrel and a macerator for emptying the grey and black water tanks. I made up a cord from the two deep cycle 12v trailer batteries to run the macerator and pump water from the truck tank for the macerator cleaning. It all works good and is simple.

I have a cap on the truck so none of this stuff is obvious. I had to pack up one time and drive 30 miles to dump the tanks. Last time that happened!