Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2019, 09:38 AM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaloo View Post
Yes ! We have a 2018 Cougar Half Ton 5er....279 RKSWE.

It leaked from the get-go. The puddling occured first, in underneath

cargo bay door , on the inside upper portion of the slam-latch door, and dripped downward, wetting the cargo floor.

Then, it would puddle, like your pic, next to shower, on the bathroom floor.

No one could find source. Finally, close to warranty end, my dealer recaulked

area where shower meets walls & floor. A minor fix,it seems, but for now, it sealed the leak ! I'm still not sure EXACTLY what they did, but thats what they told us.

Good Luck...Being on the road w/out a shower, sucks !

That seam where the shower wall meets the pan is not supposed to be sealed. The pan has a lip that extends about 2” up the wall, and I have yet to see water go “up hill”.

I think your dealer “fixed” the issue with a bandaid. Hope you don’t have bigger issues down the road.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:38 AM   #22
mohead1

Sounds like drain or S/P trap
mohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Well, while we are speculating let me throw this out;

While at our mountain home day before yesterday I was working on the shower in our little guest cabin - much like an RV shower. When I had them replace all the plumbing in the building years ago they had cross threaded virtually every connection as it changed from PEX to the connections for the faucet and shower head - they leaked. I had no idea because we had not used the shower there since the lines were installed. Replaced all the connections along with the faucet. Turned it on and checked the hot side, then cold, then both....no leaks. Went around and turned off the faucet and looked back at the new connections - they were dripping; when I turned the water OFF. Dried it up, repeated the process and began leaking when I turned the faucet OFF! Don't get it but had to reseal/tighten all the connections to make it stop. It doesn't make sense but maybe you have some weird deal like that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #24
The John

Spend the money to rent a plumbing inspection scope. You can use it to get behind walls and find the leak from not normally accessible areas.
The John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:11 PM   #25
Geronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaloo View Post
Yes ! We have a 2018 Cougar Half Ton 5er....279 RKSWE.
It leaked from the get-go. The puddling occured first, in underneath
cargo bay door , on the inside upper portion of the slam-latch door, and dripped downward, wetting the cargo floor.
Then, it would puddle, like your pic, next to shower, on the bathroom floor.
No one could find source. Finally, close to warranty end, my dealer recaulked
area where shower meets walls & floor. A minor fix,it seems, but for now, it sealed the leak ! I'm still not sure EXACTLY what they did, but thats what they told us.
Good Luck...Being on the road w/out a shower, sucks !
I put painter's tape where baballo's dealer caulked where shower wall meets the shower pan to see if that was the source of the leak. It stopped the leak completely.
Geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:44 AM   #26
Mainer

Check the shower drain

Our Bullet came with the 1-1/2 shower drain set loosely over the 1-1/4 piping. Hard to see under shower through access cover.

Always showered in campground facilities because we needed shower for storage and weight distribution (different story) for 5 month trip. Discovered it when cleaning out trailer at end of trip... Dealer didn't seem surprised, fixed under warranty with other issues.
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #27
atkinsb3

Did some pex/sharkbite work in my house after a lot of research. In the process learned that the hose clamps are supposed to be placed 1/8 to 1/4 inch from the end of the pex tubing at the connector. The clamp tool is also supposed to be calibrated before beginning a project and periodically through out.
Looking at the plumbing in my trailer, thought it was kind of cool that it was pex with the hose clamps (I can work with that). Unfortunately saw that several of the clamps were outside of the spec as far as distance from the end of the tubing, so they probably just grabbed the last barb on the connections...and do you think they calibrated the clamp tool on a regular basis or even before the project? Based on other things I've seen, probably not much of a chance.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:28 AM   #28
CampNBrew2

It seems I have read about quite a few leaks at this shower pan to wall joint that is not supposed to be caulked. Why are they leaking, and what is the harm in sealing this joint? Is there a designed in air gap to allow the back of the shower wall to breathe?
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNBrew2 View Post
It seems I have read about quite a few leaks at this shower pan to wall joint that is not supposed to be caulked. Why are they leaking, and what is the harm in sealing this joint? Is there a designed in air gap to allow the back of the shower wall to breathe?
The issue is flexing of the trailer walls as the trailer is towed. If the floor (shower pan) and the walls (shower wall) are "sealed with silicone" the ability to flex is decreased and the potential to pull the shower walls apart at the seams or to cause them to pull away from the "backing wall/structure" increases.

This is another of the many concepts that are significantly different in travel trailers vs stick built homes. Sealing that joint space in a S&B home doesn't cause any issue and is typically done as a "secondary line of defense" against leakage. In a travel trailer, if that is sealed, the forces caused by towing will not be "free to move" so rather than "stop at the joint" (which, if not sealed, will allow free movement between the two parts) will exert pulling/pushing/sheer forces to cause movement further up the wall, possibly causing damage to the structure.

The shower wall/shower pan joint is designed to move/flex to prevent damage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:08 AM   #30
Nitehawk

Had a leak in my trailer only when cold water in shower was used. Took forever to figure it out. Turned out that there was a small split between the tap and spigot.
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water