Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #21
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
... I’m not sure there is ever a good time to take I-95. ...
I concur ^^^. Friday heading north and Sunday heading south used to get "sticky" only in the afternoon, but nowadays it seems to be an all-day thing. The photo below is example of the traffic heading south on I-95 on a Sunday afternoon in the Kittery area; it stretched well north of the toll gate at milepost 7. It is somewhat better if you head north on I-95 during the week, and the earlier in the day - the better.

There are so many "bad" traffic areas on I-95; when we head north from FL (and are in a hurry) we stick inland as much as possible: I-95 to I-26 to I-77 to I-81 to I-84 to I-90 to I-495 back to I-95. This route has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. Yes, there are sticky points on this route too, but my take is there are fewer than straight I-95.

However you go, safe travels and enjoy Maine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sIMG_0244.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	22053  

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:44 AM   #22
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackitup View Post
I know the refrigerator will run on propane when driving and thank God nothing has ever happened but their is that chance that with the propane on and say you run over something or blow a tire and the tire casing hits the gas line with all the metal in a tire all you need is a spark now.....or pulling into the gas station and the pilot light is on and the fumes from the next guy over filling up ignite....
One other thing is if something was to happen the insurance company would do an investigation and get what.... that would be there way out of not paying the claim.
For me it’s a peace of mind to just run my generator. Safe travels ✌️
Totally agree re the propane issues, but if the fridge runs on electricity which it must since you are running a genny, just let the RV battery run it and the truck constantly recharges the RV battery. What am I missing?

BTW, where is the genny stored wen it is running on the move and how is it cabled up? Could be some serious legal and insurance issues there as well.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #23
Tireman9

Just be sure to check your route as many locations have tolls which can be $$$.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #24
fulltilt

I'm with you brother...I am a retired gas fitter, & have nightmares of RV'ers driving down the road or going into fuel stops with gas on & pilots lit.
fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:34 AM   #25
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Totally agree re the propane issues, but if the fridge runs on electricity which it must since you are running a genny, just let the RV battery run it and the truck constantly recharges the RV battery. What am I missing?

BTW, where is the genny stored wen it is running on the move and how is it cabled up? Could be some serious legal and insurance issues there as well.
These were my thoughts as I read this.
Also, there have been alternate routes suggested that should be seriously considered. I will do anything I need to avoid the Wash/Balt. area of I95. I think there may be issues with taking LP tanks thru tunnel in Baltimore. When I come up from Charleston SC to NY I cut over I64 from Richmond to I81. I kind of like the idea of the Bay Bridge/Tunnel from Virginia Beach also but wonder if there is an issue there with LP tanks. Others will comment/correct on that I hope. As far as tolls, I'm thinking you're heading for the NE, There will be tolls where ever you go. I wouldn't worry about that, just plan a route that is comfortable and less stressful.
And enjoy Aug. in Maine.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:55 AM   #26
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Not sure if this is your comment, but the the rv fridge WILL NOT run on 12 volt only, the control board requires 12 volts to run on either gas, shore power or generator. If you have a residential fridge it requires an inverter to run off the 12 volt system then would work as you've mentioned.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:53 AM   #27
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
Also, there have been alternate routes suggested that should be seriously considered. I will do anything I need to avoid the Wash/Balt. area of I95. I think there may be issues with taking LP tanks thru tunnel in Baltimore. When I come up from Charleston SC to NY I cut over I64 from Richmond to I81. I kind of like the idea of the Bay Bridge/Tunnel from Virginia Beach also but wonder if there is an issue there with LP tanks. Others will comment/correct on that I hope. As far as tolls, I'm thinking you're heading for the NE, There will be tolls where ever you go. I wouldn't worry about that, just plan a route that is comfortable and less stressful.
And enjoy Aug. in Maine.
To cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (CBBT) with an RV you must stop and turn off the valve(s) on your propane tanks. That is all that is required. As long as the tanks are turned off you are good to go.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #28
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
And enjoy Aug. in Maine.
A side effect of the bay bridge may be motion sickness.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #29
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiaz791 View Post
We are taking our first long trip to Main from Florida ...
I noticed the start of some construction on I-95 yesterday as we drove down into NH; looked up details on newspaper's web site. This is what they say:
State transportation officials on Wednesday rolled out a collaborative, strategic plan for the simultaneous Piscataqua River Bridge and York toll plaza construction projects, tapped as the state’s “welcome mat,” with both on the same three-year work schedule, less than nine miles apart. ... While the number of motorists crossing the 46-year-old interstate bridge can reach 130,000 in the summertime, Maine DOT Commissioner Bruce Van Vote said three lanes of traffic will be maintained in both directions during daylight hours from Memorial Day weekend through Columbus Day while construction takes place. ... Van Note said speed limits will decrease during construction and fines will be doubled. ...
Plan accordingly!

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #30
CWtheMan

If it's near your costal travel routes this summer it's worth every penny. We were stationed in the Norfolk Virginia Beach areas for more than 7 years and used the system frequently.

When exploring those costal areas we also linked up with the Cape May - Lewis ferry crossing Delaware Bay.

http://www.cbbt.com/
https://www.cmlf.com/
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:19 AM   #31
duh1

Done it from Tallahassee and 95 is fine. Will be hot along the way but no generator needed if you plan ahead a bit. Lots of places to stay along the way with full hookups.
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote