Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #21
RVDad

I greatly appreciate everyone's input on this. I decided to just get a roll of the pet screen and install it. It seems to be really strong and I think it will work as a replacement.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:28 PM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

Screen Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
Was that really expensive ? the Lexan, would love to do that. I tried the Lowes hard plastic (Plexiglass???) , but, for the life of me could not cut it straight and it looked awful...
I know your full time, when we install lexan/plastic, a table saw is your friend. Know anybody?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #23
larryflew

+ 1 for the lexan. We made upper and lowers. The lower stays on most of the time for the dogs and the upper when it's a bit too cool to want the cold air coming in. Fits inside the rails except for one side which we use white electrical tape for. Goes on and off about 4 times before needing to use new tape. We do 5 month winters away and so far a roll of tape lasted 3 years and has some left.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #24
Ken / Claudia

I tried putting in the heavy screen I got for the house patio door. That works in the house, but was too thick to fit into the RV screen door spine. If done again I will use velcro instead of screwing the clear plexiglass to the door.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #25
Old Mustanger

Sasha and Sam happily go into their kennels when we have to leave them alone in the trailer (they also sleep in them at night so there is no wandering around at night or putting cold noses in our face in the morning). I do put a screen guard on but I really doubt that the door latch would hold back 80 and 50 lb Huskies if they saw a squirrel.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:32 PM   #26
Wyldfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I tried putting in the heavy screen I got for the house patio door. That works in the house, but was too thick to fit into the RV screen door spine. If done again I will use velcro instead of screwing the clear plexiglass to the door.
You just get spline one size smaller.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:56 AM   #27
Ken / Claudia

Sorry, about my explanation. The slot in the RV door is too small to force HD screen into it and seat the material into the slot. I have that tool that pushes the beading into the slot as I repair/replace the screens on my homes. The factory light wt. screen will work.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #28
UsTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I installed clear lexan in our screen door when we bought the Cougar We prefer to have the "solid door" open for additional light and to move in/out of the trailer without having to slam it shut. I bought a couple of appropriately sized sheets of 1/8" lexan, marked them carefully, cut them with the table saw (fine tooth blade) and then used a sanding block to clean/smooth the rough edge left from the molten lexan. The hardest part was cutting the two top curves to fit the top of the door. That was some "go slow with a band saw and don't push the plastic"....

If you decide to do it, leave the protective plastic in place until after the lexan is installed in the door.
Pretty much the same for me as above..but instead of table saw I used a dremel.

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:29 AM   #29
papachaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDad View Post
So, if I repair the screen, is there something that would help protect it in the future?
I went to home depot and bought some nice looking metal mesh and cut to fit and installed over the lower screens on the doors. we have a dog and toddler size grand sons....

I painted the inside to match the door, left it gold for the outside as it matches the camper

papachaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:34 AM   #30
BrentB

Quote:
Originally Posted by papachaz View Post
I went to home depot and bought some nice looking metal mesh and cut to fit and installed over the lower screens on the doors. we have a dog and toddler size grand sons....

I painted the inside to match the door, left it gold for the outside as it matches the camper

Very nice!
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #31
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
Was that really expensive ? the Lexan, would love to do that. I tried the Lowes hard plastic (Plexiglass???) , but, for the life of me could not cut it straight and it looked awful...
I made a template for the top with the curves, bought the Lexan at a glass shop & had them cut that piece, cut the bottom myself with a Dremel. The screen door had a couple slots all the way around so I took the door apart, slid the plastic in the slot with some silicone to seal it & adhere to the door.
This was 5-6 years ago & if I recall the Lexan with them cutting the curves was just under $100, I furnished the labor.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #32
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by papachaz View Post

That does look nice and would keep the airflow while protecting the doors.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen door