Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
German Shepherd Guy

New tires and an OEM surprise.

So today I put on my new Goodyear Endurance tires.

Background, in November I bought a new 26RBPR. Brought it home the 65 miles and parked it in the pole barn until today.

After reading what Sourdough (Danny) and John had to say about tires I decided to replace the "new" OEM tires that came with the unit. Rainier 205/75R14. I went with 215/75R14 from Goodyear as they increased the load rating of the tires as well as going from a C to a D.
The OEM tires had less than 500 miles on them. (The dealer had pulled the unit to Grand Junction for an RV show). My unit came off of the assembly line in early 2018. Surprise the tires had a manufacturer date of 2nd week in 2016. Seriously. Now I have learned from this site that tires just sitting degrade by a fairly good percentage each year, the load bearing qualities degrade. The OEM tires when NEW would support the trailer and no room for error. They were two years old when they went on my trailer from the factory, meaning they were somewhere shy of 14% of being able to support the load of my trailer. No wonder I have read of people having major blowouts with new OEM tires. I love our new 26RBPR. I have done a lot of upgrades while it sat thanks in large part to the great information on this list, but really Keystone, have some pride. I am going to write the company just to bend their ear, not that I expect anything, but when the folks here on this list who know advise tire upgrades, they are not fooling.

Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post

Background, in November I bought a new 26RBPR. Brought it home the 65 miles and parked it in the pole barn until today.

After reading what Sourdough (Danny) and John had to say about tires I decided to replace the "new" OEM tires that came with the unit. Rainier 205/75R14. I went with 215/75R14 from Goodyear as they increased the load rating of the tires as well as going from a C to a D.
The OEM tires had less than 500 miles on them. (The dealer had pulled the unit to Grand Junction for an RV show). My unit came off of the assembly line in early 2018. Surprise the tires had a manufacturer date of 2nd week in 2016. Seriously. Now I have learned from this site that tires just sitting degrade by a fairly good percentage each year, the load bearing qualities degrade. The OEM tires when NEW would support the trailer and no room for error. They were two years old when they went on my trailer from the factory, meaning they were somewhere shy of 14% of being able to support the load of my trailer. No wonder I have read of people having major blowouts with new OEM tires. I love our new 26RBPR. I have done a lot of upgrades while it sat thanks in large part to the great information on this list, but really Keystone, have some pride. I am going to write the company just to bend their ear, not that I expect anything, but when the folks here on this list who know advise tire upgrades, they are not fooling.

Oak
Don't forget that the rig was towed from the factory to your dealer, and there is no telling how far or fast the rig was towed on those OEM tires.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
Gegrad

Good, glad you were able to get them replaced! Now you can sell the old ones to someone who just needs a set of tires for a lawnmower trailer or something more light duty. Always someone looking for a set of tires like that around this time of year. Should be able to get at least $100- 150 for the set of 4 (or 5).
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
Retired Copper

Yep one of the most over looked things when purchasing a towable RV. Mine were rated a couple of hundred pounds over GVW and they where almost a year old when the trailer was built. Not much cushion.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
Just chillin

Great minds think alike. Like you I bought a 26RBPR in November and swapped out the ranier’s for the larger endurance. I did the swap myself and it was amazing how much thicker and stiffer the sidewall was on the Goodyear. My trailer was made on 8-2-18 and the tires were made in May of 18. I replaced the steel spare tire wheel with a matching aluminum one. Like to have never found one. We have made one trip and the tires seem awesome.
Just chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

Back in 2003, I purchased a new TT that was a left over 2002. It was to be parked on beach property and a guest place. I got a great deal, the dealer was half way from home to beach. Upon inspection PDI and purchase, I noted 2 tires where really low. I mentioned that and have them inflated and the other things needed done before I picked it up 2 weeks later. The trailer was cleaned up, everything fixed, trailer was moved across the several acre lot and the tires were still low. 1 was flat the other just enough air to show 10 lbs as I recall.
I checked them with my gauge. Lot guy filled them up.
I actually drove to a tire dealer 5 miles away and paid them to inspect the tires before pulling it 80 miles on highways. They said they were OK.
How many times can a dealer drag or pull a RV across their lot with flat tires before they are damaged and the buyer may never know. Or what about the psi as the delivery guy pulls it across how many miles.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:40 PM   #7
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
I am going to write the company just to bend their ear, not that I expect anything ...

Oak
From what I understand, the trailer chassis are made by either BAL or Lippert. They would be the ones who would have put 2 year old tires on your trailer, not Keystone.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #8
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
From what I understand, the trailer chassis are made by either BAL or Lippert. They would be the ones who would have put 2 year old tires on your trailer, not Keystone.
Keystone signed the certification label. It says;

"This vehicle conforms to all applicable U.S. Federal motor vehicle safety, bumper, and theft prevention standards in effect on the date of manufacture."

CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:44 PM   #9
CWtheMan

Quote:
I decided to replace the "new" OEM tires that came with the unit. Rainier 205/75R14. I went with 215/75R14 from Goodyear as they increased the load rating of the tires as well as going from a C to a D.

Oak
IMO, that action would/could void any tire, wheel or chassis factory warranty claims should those tires fail or cause a problem in those areas, if it stopped just there. Other areas could be related.

I know, that's pretty petty but it's factual. Without someone's approval for that action you failed to protect yourself. The Keystone owner's manual clearly states an owner must seek approval before changing designated tire sizes.

Wheel tire assemblies seldom cause problems that would trigger an in depth investigation. BUT, they do happen. (Those new tires do not conform to the same load inflation chart as the OEM tires).
Old 04-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
Nope. As you can see from these photos, the chassis comes in "stacked 5 high" with no axles/wheels/tires. The chassis is pushed into the plant inverted where the axles, tires and wheels are installed at the first line position and the trailer is then turned "upright, with wheels down" on rollers to move to station #2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0292.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	21182   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0295.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	21183   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0296.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	21184  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:13 PM   #11
HIDE-EE

Is it possible to get a load rate higher than E on a 15 inch rim? Or with a current rim/tire combo with E tires would the rim not be rated for G tires ( if available) I was reading about the Goodyear endurance after seeing this post and others, marking me think about my tires. Currently have st225/75R15E on 5er with 11400 gvrw oem tire can’t remember the brand at the moment. The Goodyear puts me close to the gvrw, I know the trailer doesn’t hold all the weight but like many of you I would rather have more tire than I need. Any thoughts and opinions will be appreciated
HIDE-EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #12
cookinwitdiesel

On an 11k trailer, the LR E Goodyears should be plenty of tire.....I would imagine that puts your tires 20-30% over your axle ratings.

For an example, my trailer has 2x 4400# rated axles. I upgraded my tires to Goodyear Endurance (LR E) and now (if inflated to minimum 65 PSI) have 10160# tire capacity, on 8800# of axle capacity, on a 9660 GVWR trailer (of which about 1000# sits on the hitch). If I fill them to the rated 80 PSI they are 11320# of tire capacity. Making it all even more silly in how overkill they would be.

I did my last trip with them aired to 70 PSI and will likely do that or 65 PSI for future trips, tire capacity is just NOT an issue at all for me - and likely is not for you as well. I will note, that the 80 PSI/2830# rating is the maximum on my OEM wheels (came with 65 PSI LR D 2540# tires - matching the 65 PSI ratings on the Goodyears).
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:33 AM   #13
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
IMO, that action would/could void any tire, wheel or chassis factory warranty claims should those tires fail or cause a problem in those areas, if it stopped just there. Other areas could be related.

I know, that's pretty petty but it's factual. Without someone's approval for that action you failed to protect yourself. The Keystone owner's manual clearly states an owner must seek approval before changing designated tire sizes.

Wheel tire assemblies seldom cause problems that would trigger an in depth investigation. BUT, they do happen. (Those new tires do not conform to the same load inflation chart as the OEM tires).

Undoubtedly true but I think I will take my chances. I live so rural that a blowout and the resulting trailer damage, though maybe covered by warranty with the OEM tires would still be catastrophic.

Warranties. by and large, apply to folks who live near cities and can afford the time to deal with the manufacturer. Thanks CW, I do appreciate the thought and information though.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #14
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDE-EE View Post
Is it possible to get a load rate higher than E on a 15 inch rim?
The only one I know of is the all steel constructed ST225/75R15 LRF Tow-Master ASC from Greenball. They provide 3195# of load capacity @ 95 PSI and have a 81 MPH speed rating.

https://www.greenball.com/brands/gre...tow-master-asc
Old 04-03-2019, 03:41 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Is it possible to get a load rate higher than E on a 15 inch rim? Or with a current rim/tire combo with E tires would the rim not be rated for G tires ( if available) I was reading about the Goodyear endurance after seeing this post and others, marking me think about my tires. Currently have st225/75R15E on 5er with 11400 gvrw oem tire can’t remember the brand at the moment. The Goodyear puts me close to the gvrw, I know the trailer doesn’t hold all the weight but like many of you I would rather have more tire than I need. Any thoughts and opinions will be appreciated
I understand your concern. I have E's on my trailer and it is only 10k gvw...and I wish I had more. I know others disagree but I believe the tires should support the weight of the trailer plus 10%, not after deducting the tongue or pin weight; but that is my opinion.

What are are your axle weights? Hopefully they gave you some up to the task and not marginal like some others have posted. Also, going up to an F like CW mentioned will require a wheel that would hold the 95# pressure. Mine were limited to 80. That is something you need to determine before trying to go with a higher rated tire.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #16
HIDE-EE

What are are your axle weights? Hopefully they gave you some up to the task and not marginal like some others have posted. Also, going up to an F like CW mentioned will require a wheel that would hold the 95# pressure. Mine were limited to 80. That is something you need to determine before trying to go with a higher rated tire.[/QUOTE]

Yeah not much extra on my axles at 5200# each. I will have to look into if my rims can handle the higher psi. I’m thinking probly not. The Goodyear’s might be my best option. Not that that would be a bad option as stated above that would put the tires at a greater rating than the axles but now my axles seem like the weak link lol.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

I'm sorry but you do seem to be in that "position" that so many have been. I believe one of our members was in the same position recently. I don't recall what his resolution was and, I'm sorry, but I don't have time to try to find it - I'm still on the road and....it's time for a steak at one of my favorite steakhouses!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:52 PM   #18
CWtheMan

Quote:
What are are your axle weights? Hopefully they gave you some up to the task and not marginal like some others have posted. Also, going up to an F like CW mentioned will require a wheel that would hold the 95# pressure. Mine were limited to 80. That is something you need to determine before trying to go with a higher rated tire.
Yeah not much extra on my axles at 5200# each. I will have to look into if my rims can handle the higher psi. I’m thinking probly not. The Goodyear’s might be my best option. Not that that would be a bad option as stated above that would put the tires at a greater rating than the axles but now my axles seem like the weak link lol.[/QUOTE]

Are you giving us the axle capacity from the individual axle tag/model brochure or from the vehicle certification label?

The specs for your trailer indicate the vehicle certified GAWRs may actually be 5000#.

Using the RVIA 10% load capacity reserve recommendation for 5000# axles your tires would be RVIA qualified. However, if you actually have vehicle certified 5200# axles your LRE tires do not qualify.

Therefore, it becomes important for you to verify the actual vehicle certification label. If 5200#, you should immediately contact Keystone and ask them why they did not meet the RVIA tire recommendations for a 2019 year model trailer

No matter how anyone wants to figure it, the regulations clearly state the certified axle weights are the primary factor for vehicle manufacturer selection and fitment of Original Equipment tires. The RVIA recommendation for 10% reserves above vehicle certified axles is for member consideration. I'm sure Keystone is a member and will be embarrassed should someone report them for noncompliance.

Keystone would have two options. Replace the OE tires with some that meet the RVIA recommendation and issue a new certification label showing the new tire size. Or issue a new certification label lowering the GAWRs to a value that would satisfy the 10% recommendation. They would then make a minor (pen & ink change) to the cargo capacity - if needed - for the axle deductions.

(Under current FMVSS (standards) your tires qualify for 5000# or 5200# GAWR axles).
Old 04-03-2019, 08:03 PM   #19
HIDE-EE

The label says 5200#. The tires are load-star. The tire has weight spec(I should have takin a picture because now I don’t remember it) and says a weight for single and dual. Does dual mean like a truck drw or tandem? I looked at the rims and didn’t see any spec. stamped in them maybe on the inside where the tire is. The rims are alloys. I don’t think there will be much I can do about my axles. I haven’t had the trailer but a year in June. So I’m hoping I can get at least this summer out of the tires then get the Goodyear endurance. I love the trailer but keystone has disappointed me several times in areas that seem so easy to get right. Thanks to all for the input
Old 04-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #20
Thoremilly

Tires

Quote:

Oak
I pulled my tires the second season 2017 341RKI and installed the Endurance American made just love them. Do NOT apply any tire dressing it deteriorates the rubber.
Thoremilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires