Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
Nomadicchefs

Sagging Slide Floor

My slide is sagging in the middle. Not in the center, but in the middle lengthwise. I attached a picture in case I don't explain it clearly. The dotted line is where it's sagging. I know it's cheap ply board, and a replacement would be insanely pricey, but is this something I can fix? The supports/slide arms underneath are one each end, nothing in the middle. They are very sturdy, but the couch and the dinette pieces actually have quite a bit of weight via metal framing etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190226_121709.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	20484  
Nomadicchefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

If it was mine I would take it on. Unless it's under warranty. I have no idea about your capabilities and tools. So, most important question needed answered is why is it sagging and than how to correct it. Take photos as you remove the carpet and flooring, know what water damage looks like. Figure out why and that will determine the how to repair the damage. It could be unrelated to water damage.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

The slide will have to come out and lay on its side for a proper repair.

When it’s retracted does anybody walk on it?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The slide will have to come out and lay on its side for a proper repair.

When it’s retracted does anybody walk on it?
There's no real way to walk on it. Just sit down on the couch or slide into the dinette booth. We have taken the carpet up, the wood is dry and there's no evidence of any water damage. Our previous water issue at the corner was caught early and corrected. Just a tiny gap in sealant. The floor was dried with a dehumidifier and heater. It was only surface moister, not penetrating. The rest of the floor board looks completely untouched. The sag isn't gigantic, but the dinette booths do not touch the floor in the middle of the bench. It's a small bow, about a half inch. If it's normal then I'm embarrassed, but if it's not, then I want to get a fix on it earlier than later.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

How long is the slide? With the slide fully extended, is the sag still there?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Slide is approximately 12.5 feet long. It is fully extended, and sag is there. We full time in our TT. I just noticed the sag a couple days ago.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #7
Frank G

You are not alone. First of all, pay attention to Chuckester57, he knows what he is talking about. I have a similar long slide with the dinette table attached to the floor and we only use two of the chairs. The slide mechanism is the underneath style like yours. When I /we use the dinette it feels like the bottom is ready to fall out. Well, it hasn't, the open side slide floor rests on the main floor and the other three sides are still firmly attached to the slide walls. I have thought about some structural modifications to strengthen the floor but...everything would have to be added to the interior and that thought would surely upset the DW. I tend to overbuild everything, so going out to the scrap steel pile for some structural shapes would not go over well.

Bottom line, if I / we ever fall out the bottom, I will fix it. Until then I am not worrying about it.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #8
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
You are not alone. First of all, pay attention to Chuckester57, he knows what he is talking about. I have a similar long slide with the dinette table attached to the floor and we only use two of the chairs. The slide mechanism is the underneath style like yours. When I /we use the dinette it feels like the bottom is ready to fall out. Well, it hasn't, the open side slide floor rests on the main floor and the other three sides are still firmly attached to the slide walls. I have thought about some structural modifications to strengthen the floor but...everything would have to be added to the interior and that thought would surely upset the DW. I tend to overbuild everything, so going out to the scrap steel pile for some structural shapes would not go over well.

Bottom line, if I / we ever fall out the bottom, I will fix it. Until then I am not worrying about it.
Hahaha I love that reply! Yes, I am the same way. It started with a dark spot on the couch leg base at the carpet, which led to the carpet being ripped up, wall coming off to make sure there was no mold inside it, etc. I am right there with you on the overbuilding. As for us, this is our only home, so we have to do whatever it takes to keep it in shape.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #9
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
The other side wall of the slide has no damage on it, but the floor in the corner is swollen, moist and moldy. The only reason I know this, is because it's wicking in from that darco wrap. I could only see the wet wood and remaining moisture after taking up the staples and lifting the darco up. We have since put a removable drip rail on the outside bottom edge to keep the water from running underneath on it, but I have concerns about the way it's supposed to perform. It let's water in, but not out? There are a couple TINY gouges in the darco, and honestly it almost looks like a boring bee hole. I filled them and haven't seen anymore. Is there maybe something we could do to "seal" the bottom completely? Like possibly a roof sealant or something similar (RV grade), do you think there is such a thing I could paint onto that darco to just seal it up altogether? Or just get the repair tape and put strips of it on all over? The site of water penetration had been eliminated via seams, but the slide bowing seems to me like it's because it's getting too much moisture.

Tags
floor, slide