Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2019, 05:16 AM   #1
tlist809

tires for TV

My TV has P265/65R18 Wrangler SR-A tires and are nearing the end of their life. I tow a 2018 Laredo 225mk (8000 lbs GVWR) with a 1/2 ton pickup with 4 point equalizer WD hitch. TV is rated at 9200 LBS towing and 1600 LBS Payload 5.3L and 3.42 RE.

I have been hearing recommendations to go to an LT tire of the same size.

Dealer says the OEM tires would be fine (and can get them for me, LOL).

If I go up to LT's, what pressure do they need to be at, and how do I adjust the alerts on the on board tire pressure monitor? Also, what will be the trade off when compared to the OEM tires?

Also, what tires are recommended for the trailer?
tlist809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:33 AM   #2
Wxman

TV specs sound like you have a GM. It is possible to reprogram the factory TPMS, but it takes a Tech2, Autel, etc., scan tool. Dealer may or may not be willing to do it because not the tire on the door placard.
As far as the pressure you will very likely end up running different pressure loaded (towing) vs empty in order to benefit fully from the LT tires when towing and being able to stand the ride when empty. YMMV.
Don't think you can program the TPMS for two different pressures so may have to deal with a light in some situations.
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
busterbrown

If you can upgrade to LT tires, do it at the sacrifice of a TPMS dash light when towing. I know that FCA will not reprogram TPMS thresholds. Probably applies to GM too. But there are programmers available for almost all truck platforms that will make the change for you. You may want to ask about them on your respective GM truck forum.

As far as trade offs, the only trade off will be stiffer ride when unloaded if you keep the pressures at cold max PSI. But as already mentioned, you'd probably do what many of us do when not towing, let out a few PSI for more ride comfort. On the flip side, your towing experience will be much better with LT tires. IMO, P tires shouldn't be on TVs pulling 8000 GVW trailers.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #4
Logan X

I think you should definitely be running LT tires if you are towing that much weight. If you are carrying that much weight on passenger tires, it’s not a question of if but of when you will have a problem. Just my 2c
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #5
CWtheMan

I see no practical reason for changing to LT tires. Will the truck manufacturer recommend a LT size suitable to use as a replacement? Your current tires have a “T” speed rating. Most retailers are not going to approve a replacement with a speed rating below the “T” unless it’s recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

At 35 PSI your current tires provide 2245# of load capacity, (That’s their derated value.) nearly 1000# of load capacity above max GVWR for your truck. They have a maximum PSI rating of 51 PSI. There is no load capacity increase when using that sidewall PSI rating. What it does is stiffen the tire and is highly recommended for towing operations.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I see no practical reason for changing to LT tires. Will the truck manufacturer recommend a LT size suitable to use as a replacement? Your current tires have a “T” speed rating. Most retailers are not going to approve a replacement with a speed rating below the “T” unless it’s recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

At 35 PSI your current tires provide 2245# of load capacity, (That’s their derated value.) nearly 1000# of load capacity above max GVWR for your truck. They have a maximum PSI rating of 51 PSI. There is no load capacity increase when using that sidewall PSI rating. What it does is stiffen the tire and is highly recommended for towing operations.

"See no reason to go to an LT tire"?? With an 8000lb trailer, behind a 1/2 ton, on P rated tires????? The flimsy sidewalls on a P tire will let an 8k trailer bounce and "slide" back and forth to a VERY uncomfortable level....been there, done that. In fact, I believe we have a thread going at this moment where the OP went to LT tires from P tires and it made a great difference. I can't begin to imagine pulling that size trailer on P tires inflated to 35psi on a 1/2 ton. I keep telling myself, "real life....real life", it has to kick in sometime on these tire threads....I hope.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #7
Hankster

We just stepped up to a D load range BF Goodrich KO2 all terrains on my 2015 bighorn.
Everything I've read says these are a pretty good tire. We'll be hooking up in 6 weeks to head for Florida, and new tires are one of the items that are on our prep list. Next up is the 1000 series air bags, and the truck will officially be ready for the road. Unloaded the tires at 52# of pressure they seem to ride just fine. When towing they will be aired up to 60# as specified on the sidewall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190216_171329054.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	20349  
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:45 PM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
"See no reason to go to an LT tire"?? With an 8000lb trailer, behind a 1/2 ton, on P rated tires????? The flimsy sidewalls on a P tire will let an 8k trailer bounce and "slide" back and forth to a VERY uncomfortable level....been there, done that. In fact, I believe we have a thread going at this moment where the OP went to LT tires from P tires and it made a great difference. I can't begin to imagine pulling that size trailer on P tires inflated to 35psi on a 1/2 ton. I keep telling myself, "real life....real life", it has to kick in sometime on these tire threads....I hope.
Sourdough, I agree with you 100%, I don't understand CW recommending against going to LT on a 1/2 ton for better stability when towing.
I would see it as the best bang for the buck to make the towing experience better.

ON EDIT: This is a search result for tires at Discount Tire for the size currently on OP 1/2 ton, some "P" some "LT" tires all T rated speed and the LT having a higher load rating.
https://www.discounttire.com/fitment...Size/265/65-18
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Sourdough, I agree with you 100%, I don't understand CW recommending against going to LT on a 1/2 ton for better stability when towing.
I would see it as the best bang for the buck to make the towing experience better.

ON EDIT: This is a search result for tires at Discount Tire for the size currently on OP 1/2 ton, some "P" some "LT" tires all T rated speed and the LT having a higher load rating.
https://www.discounttire.com/fitment...Size/265/65-18

Thanks rhagfo. Pulled up tirerack.com and this size tire can run up to about 1000 lbs more weight capacity per tire by going to LT (Cooper). OP, you need to disregard any recommendation of sticking with a P rated tire for that trailer on your truck....IMO.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #10
CWtheMan

Quote:
Thanks rhagfo. Pulled up tirerack.com and this size tire can run up to about 1000 lbs more weight capacity per tire by going to LT (Cooper). OP, you need to disregard any recommendation of sticking with a P rated tire for that trailer on your truck....IMO.

Remember, I post on how it's supposed to be done. What LT tires does the vehicle manufacturer recommend?

Tire retailers have no business using replacement tires not recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

"P" tires are perfectly legal for that vehicle, that's why they're on there. They have been approved for the vehicle GVWR and GCWR. If not, it will be in the vehicle owner manual with the recommended size to use for towing.

Notice in my earlier post I recommended full sidewall pressure for towing applications (51 PSI). The increased inflation pressure to sidewall max will stiffen the sidewalls for towing. It does not increase the tires maximum load capacity.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:48 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Remember, I post on how it's supposed to be done. What LT tires does the vehicle manufacturer recommend?

Tire retailers have no business using replacement tires not recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

"P" tires are perfectly legal for that vehicle, that's why they're on there. They have been approved for the vehicle GVWR and GCWR. If not, it will be in the vehicle owner manual with the recommended size to use for towing.

Notice in my earlier post I recommended full sidewall pressure for towing applications (51 PSI). The increased inflation pressure to sidewall max will stiffen the sidewalls for towing. It does not increase the tires maximum load capacity.

CW, this will be my last post (I think) on this. Who cares what the manufacturer recommends if your wheel will accommodate the new tire and pressure??? Especially if a person insists on towing over payload or gvw?? What do you do then? The upgraded tire is THE answer. There is absolutely NO comparison between the construction of a truck LT tire and its P equivalent. Sticking our heads in pages of "documents" does not address "real life" situations IMO when the answer is glaring in front of us. Again, JMO/YMMV

Edit: My above statements in no way condone towing over any weight limit or using a higher rated tire to do so. In some, if not many, acceptable towing circumstances the LT tire will provide additional strength to the vehicle tires to help limit sway and bouncing - particularly in 1/2 ton trucks.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:49 PM   #12
Hankster

Having had Goodyear SRA's on my Ram for 3 years, I can honestly say they're a sorry excuse for a tire.
And putting them on a 4 wheel drive pickup that's targeted for the U.S. market is outright nuts. Driving/crawling on 4 ply tires will make you choose your route carefully, and pussyfoot around like you're on eggshells.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #13
Hankster

I seriously doubt that the manufacturer assumes the average driver is going to drive his pickup across this road to go fishing, or haul his tools to a cabin to do some upgrades. The manufacturer puts the least expensive tire that they can get away with. Why else would they put a 4 ply P rated tire on a pickup truck. There's more to the need for a 8 or 10 ply tire than just weight.
I made it across this with the stock 4 ply tires, but pussyfooted through these sections like I was on eggshells.
This is the road you have to take to get to Dry Creek on the West side of Owyhee reservoir in Oregon. It's not this bad the whole 35 miles in, but this is the last 2 or 3 miles where if your going to wait on a tire guy to show up, it might involve an overnight stay, and you'd better hope you either have a sattelite phone, or are lucky enough to be there at a time of year when there's actually some traffic to catch a ride with back to town.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1550375561081.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	20351  
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:13 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
I seriously doubt that the manufacturer assumes the average driver is going to drive his pickup across this road to go fishing, or haul his tools to a cabin to do some upgrades. The manufacturer puts the least expensive tire that they can get away with. Why else would they put a 4 ply P rated tire on a pickup truck. There's more to the need for a 8 or 10 ply tire than just weight.
I made it across this with the stock 4 ply tires, but pussyfooted through these sections like I was on eggshells.
This is the road you have to take to get to Dry Creek on the West side of Owyhee reservoir in Oregon. It's not this bad the whole 35 miles in, but this is the last 2 or 3 miles where if your going to wait on a tire guy to show up, it might involve an overnight stay, and you'd better hope you either have a sattelite phone, or are lucky enough to be there at a time of year when there's actually some traffic to catch a ride with back to town.

Ahhh! Now that's my kind of country! It looks SO much like the foothills in SE NM.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #15
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
We just stepped up to a D load range BF Goodrich KO2 all terrains on my 2015 bighorn.
Everything I've read says these are a pretty good tire. We'll be hooking up in 6 weeks to head for Florida, and new tires are one of the items that are on our prep list. Next up is the 1000 series air bags, and the truck will officially be ready for the road. Unloaded the tires at 52# of pressure they seem to ride just fine. When towing they will be aired up to 60# as specified on the sidewall.
You might want to lower the pressure a little bit. I have the same tires on my 2013 Lone Star. Initially, I ran them higher. I found that they should be about 43# unloaded and 50# with the TT. I typically run them 45# unloaded and 52# loaded.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #16
tlist809

Quote:
do you have the link for that other thread? I am interested in seeing it and the search for me isnt helping
Old 02-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #17
Blackrock

Like my Daddy always said "Good tire are your cheapest form of insurance".
That said, I changed out the P tires on my 16' Ram 1500 for the same size in an LT tire. My TPMS reads the higher tire pressure accurately and signal a low pressure warning at 25psi.
Last set I bought are Hercules made in China and are doing a great job carrying the load. Have right around 8K miles towing on them so far.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #18
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Like my Daddy always said "Good tire are your cheapest form of insurance".
That said, I changed out the P tires on my 16' Ram 1500 for the same size in an LT tire. My TPMS reads the higher tire pressure accurately and signal a low pressure warning at 25psi.
Last set I bought are Hercules made in China and are doing a great job carrying the load. Have right around 8K miles towing on them so far.

A Ram 1500 owners manual. Tire info starts on page 522.

https://carmanuals2.com/get/ram-1500...-manual-111995
Old 02-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #19
linux3

2 weeks ago I replaced the P265/65R18 Wrangler SR-A tires with Michelin LTX MS.
Rated 118T so slightly higher than the Goodyear 114T.
Much, much better traction and a lot quieter. I do kinda miss the look of the white outline and I haven't hauled the TT yet but so far hands down a much better tire.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #20
tlist809

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the input.

Tags
tires