Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
jdixon980

Bed size

Just bought a 2018 Cougar 367FLS fifth wheel over the weekend. The mattress don’t look like much. My wife would like a memory foam mattress. We were told it is a king mattress. Mattress tag says 70x74. King mattresses that I have looked at are 76x80. Anybody tell me what size mattress will work and a website to find? Thanks
jdixon980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:02 AM   #2
jlonginav

Hello

We have the same model. We bought a king size memory foam topper at Costco and cut it down to size
Old 05-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
Alpine

Congratulations are in order for your new Cougar purchase!

We waited way too long to make the change-over to a "real" mattress... fighting sheets that did not fit etc etc.

Do yourself a favor and do what we did and get a true mattress. We purchased a Queen size from IKEA (for platform beds). Best upgrade ever.

I cut down the OSB board platform to the actual Queen size mattress. Now you can purchase sheets that are to your liking & fit! You will also have the luxury of about 5 inches extra on each side of the bed area!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8759.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	16280  

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #4
DocP

You have to be careful about the size. If you buy something new that's longer than the length of the king bed that's already in there, you could have an issue with the slide closing. For example, I used to have a Keystone Retreat destination trailer. The king bed was on a slide-out, and I purchased a longer length mattress than what was originally there. As it turned out, the slide couldn't fully retract because the mattress was too long and it hit the dresser at the foot of the bed. All that I'm saying is to take things like this into consideration prior to buying something new.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
lesleyinky

Bed size

We have been very pleased with our king size 4” gel/pillow-top memory foam topper. If you decide to go that route we found the neatest trick for cutting to size! We traced the original TT mattress size on to the foam. Then we used an electric kitchen knife to do the cutting (picked this up from a YouTube video like the one linked below). It cut the foam like a hot knife on butter and the topper fit the mattress perfectly.

lesleyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:35 AM   #6
Dave W

Will a 'standard' king fit the space? Can that space be altered somewhat to fit a 'standard' king by adding extensions? I have seen a few instances where RV owners have installed a drop down extension to the actual bed platform length to accommodate a 'standard' mattress. I have not seen any side extensions but a 3"/side extensions may work in the allowed space.

Unfortunately RV builders seem to think that there 'special size' fits all. It doesn't if you are over 6' tall which many Americans are these days
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:05 AM   #7
TheSlimOne

I put an Ikea King in mine. I cut new OSB for it. The head of it has to 'squeeze about 1x3/4 inches to fit. Being memory foam its not an issue. The length was fine. It goes to about 1" from the dresser at the bottom. I can take a picture of it if you want. It was amazing what a difference that 6" of width makes. Add that to being able to use sheets you can find anywhere makes it totally worth it.
TheSlimOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #8
5J's

Congrats on the new trailer. We upgraded our mattress after about the 4th night. I told DW I was not going to spend one more night on it. Now we sleep better in the 5er than we do at home. We ordered ours to fit, a standard size would not allowed the half bath door to open all the way.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #9
xrated

No size issues on ours, but the mattress (full queen size), was not exactly the most comfortable thing that we've slept on. It didn't take long and we decided to put the sleep number bed mattress that was in our house, in the camper. We then purchased a new sleep number system for the house. After all, we sleep in the house a lot more nights than we sleep in the camper, so that part was a no brainer. Now, when we go camping, we have the same exact settings in the camper bed as we do in the house bed.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #10
MattE303

+1 for adding a topper instead of replacing the mattress. It was DW's idea to try that first, and I was amazed how big a difference it made.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:11 AM   #11
rshipyor

Bed size

My wife and I have a cougar 25res it has a rv short queen and from the size you said you have you have a short rv king. We bought a gel memory foam mattress on Amazon 10 inch for $270 for rv queen and love it. I sold bedding for 32 years and it is a good quality Matt. The on we bought is call the dynasty and came with 2 billows and free shipping. Hope this helps
rshipyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #12
Hey Louie

Add us to the list of adding a topper. We just picked up our new 5er on Friday and that was one of our first projects. Topper was a little pricey but the DW had all kinds of coupons and discounts for Kohl's, wound up being less than half price and a whole less then a new mattress. We did have to trim about 6 inches from the side, but that was rather easy.
Hey Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #13
Howie

You have what is affectionately called an RV King. We had the same size and since I am over 6' the length is too short for me. I couldn't go any longer with a new mattress because of interference on the wall. What we did is order an excellent quality foam mattress from Mattressinsider and I had a high density foam cut to the same highth and width of the mattress and 5" long. When we park and the slide was out I would slide the mattress down 5" and put the foam piece at the top of the mattress platform. This gives you a full King length and sheets fit just fine. For our newest RV I called Mattressinsider and they will make you a mattress to you specifications. I ordered a King width with 2" cut off on both sides to fit between the shelves at the side of the bed which gives us a full size King except for the top 18" which doesn't matter
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #14
FF/PM

I'm 6-4, there's no way I'd sleep well on the RV sized mattresses. We bought a 'normal' queen memory foam from Costco. There was no issue with the slide, but it cuts into the walk around area at the foot of the bed. I extended the OSB platform enough to support the foot of the bed. I also have to upgrade the support struts as the heavier, longer, bed is too heavy for the stock ones.

This was the first, most important, mod to me. My tiny wife is just happy I'm happy!
FF/PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #15
dadnjesse

I put a regular sized Queen in my montana, while it is longer we hold it up while closing the slide. Works for us.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #16
mcomeaux

Ours was considered and called a Olympic queen, and we got sheets and memory foam from you guessed it Amazon....
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #17
DOWva

Our 5th wheel came with that short queen, so we replaced it with the Sams club online zinus residential queen memory foam with cooling gel mattress in a box. We went out this past week and were very pleased with it sleeps just as good as our memory foam mattress in our home and only cost $265.00

Doug & Diane * Richmond,VA
2014 Keystone Cougar
M-315 High Country 5th Wheel
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 392 Hemi

AirLifts
DOWva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed