Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2024, 11:59 AM   #1
JShort880

Just wondering what to expect in the future when we sale.

Hello Forum...

2021 Ford F450/2022 Fuzion 379

Full-time 2 plus years now. We are aiming to have a little one soon and will be buying/building a home here in Georgia mid-late 2025.

I like to plan out. We are aiming to have two kids and while they're young, I don't see the benefit of having such a large rv/truck (realistically I don't think they will get much use).

For that reason, we intend to sale. Just curious what the unload time is for similar rv's are when you private sale? Anyone with experience selling one similar?

We have most of the RV paid off, the price I was initially thinking I would ask is below what I'm seeing them on the classifieds for. So, while I don't think it'll be gone instantly, I'm assuming it will not take forever to unload?

I'm not really worried about the truck. I have 2-3 people who already are interested when the time comes.

I've just been thinking about it, so I figured I'd ask. RV is a great condition and before I'd sale anything even minor would be repaired.
2021 Ford F450
JShort880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:14 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Covid-19 has demonstrated that these days predicting a year away could be dicey at best. The market is the what it is and fluctuates seemingly with the wind these days. RV sales can tank or skyrocket depending on many factors like fuel prices, interest rates, and local factors. Good luck with your plans but year+ is a long time in the financial world in this unstable market. JMO, YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:18 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

An RV, any RV, is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it. Otherwise, it's a "heavy paperweight" taking up space. Finding a buyer for a large toyhauler in an area where there are lots of people who would use them for that purpose is much easier than finding a buyer that would be interested if you're selling it in a densly populated metropolitan area where there is not much "toy recreation space nearby".... In other words, selling a large toyhauler in the southwest or in the north central areas would probably be a faster process than it would be trying to sell one in the DC area or in New York City. (That's just my opinion, BTW)....

As for the truck, I would stronly advise you not to sell the truck unless it's a package deal or you have already sold the trailer. Should you sell the truck and then find that you can't sell the trailer or that you need to move it to another area that may offer more sales options, without the truck to move it.... Well, hopefully you see the potential issues of not having a vehicle to tow the trailer..... It's tough to go to Hertz or Avis and rent a dually.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:31 PM   #4
JShort880

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Covid-19 has demonstrated that these days predicting a year away could be dicey at best. The market is the what it is and fluctuates seemingly with the wind these days. RV sales can tank or skyrocket depending on many factors like fuel prices, interest rates, and local factors. Good luck with your plans but year+ is a long time in the financial world in this unstable market. JMO, YMMV
Very true. I naturally plan consistently and reevaluated with every notable change. This is just a way to open my eyes to some factors I may not be considering or hear some first hand tips etc.

Don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing how detailed my plans get .
2021 Ford F450
Old 01-16-2024, 12:41 PM   #5
JShort880

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
An RV, any RV, is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it. Otherwise, it's a "heavy paperweight" taking up space. Finding a buyer for a large toyhauler in an area where there are lots of people who would use them for that purpose is much easier than finding a buyer that would be interested if you're selling it in a densly populated metropolitan area where there is not much "toy recreation space nearby".... In other words, selling a large toyhauler in the southwest or in the north central areas would probably be a faster process than it would be trying to sell one in the DC area or in New York City. (That's just my opinion, BTW)....

As for the truck, I would stronly advise you not to sell the truck unless it's a package deal or you have already sold the trailer. Should you sell the truck and then find that you can't sell the trailer or that you need to move it to another area that may offer more sales options, without the truck to move it.... Well, hopefully you see the potential issues of not having a vehicle to tow the trailer..... It's tough to go to Hertz or Avis and rent a dually.....
Yes! Without any doubt the truck will go "with or after" the RV. Luckily, we are down here in the southeast and even at a 40% loss on the rv (which is what I'm expecting), I feel like we easily gotten our monies worth.

Wife made 5x what she normally would because of it, and we were able to travel the country before kids.

The truth is that I am going to miss the truck... But in no world can I justify having a 450.... I'm a software engineer and I have no interest in starting a side-gig/company that I would use it for.
2021 Ford F450
Old 01-16-2024, 01:29 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

The toy hualer world is popular among folks that like to bikes ( larger cruising bikes) along and the off road trail enthusiasts. When it comes time to sell you might want to look for those type events, rallies or compatitons, and take the unit there or advertise it in those markets. Just a thought.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 05:56 PM   #7
dutchmensport

You are missing a great opportunity to take your kids camping and give them experiences that they can't get anywhere else. Sorry to hear you are wanting to sell out. There are so many great experiences you can enjoy with the children if you keep the camper and truck. Just my opinion because my wife and I were both raised with camping families and our kids were raised camping .... started them out in a tent. It's in our blood so much, we had our cremation urn already made for us. It will hold the ashes for 2 adults and 2 dogs. It's an exact replica of our current Montana High Country. Even after we're dead, our kids will still have memories when they look at that urn.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:38 AM   #8
JShort880

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
You are missing a great opportunity to take your kids camping and give them experiences that they can't get anywhere else. Sorry to hear you are wanting to sell out. There are so many great experiences you can enjoy with the children if you keep the camper and truck. Just my opinion because my wife and I were both raised with camping families and our kids were raised camping .... started them out in a tent. It's in our blood so much, we had our cremation urn already made for us. It will hold the ashes for 2 adults and 2 dogs. It's an exact replica of our current Montana High Country. Even after we're dead, our kids will still have memories when they look at that urn.
O we're not going to go to long without a camper.

We're just selling for now and then will be downgrading sense we won't be full-time. There are so many smaller trailers that would be much better for recreational family use instead of our current toy hauler.

Someone who is wanting to go full-time or has toys for the toy-hauler will have much more practical use than what we will once we are not full-time anymore.

My perspective is that we have gotten our monies worth and have fully tested this particular unit for the next owner. So, they'll get a great price and an honest seller. Then hopefully I'll find the same when we decide to downsize to a new combo
2021 Ford F450
Old 01-21-2024, 08:27 AM   #9
Ddaddyo

Check on RV Trader, that will give you some idea on Prices. I've seen a lot of "Covid Campers" 20-21-22 for sale for Loan Pay off that was more than 2024 New Units. The Dealers here in N/E Indiana have Lots full of Campers they can't move.
Ddaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 09:08 AM   #10
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShort880 View Post
O we're not going to go to long without a camper.

We're just selling for now and then will be downgrading sense we won't be full-time. There are so many smaller trailers that would be much better for recreational family use instead of our current toy hauler.

Someone who is wanting to go full-time or has toys for the toy-hauler will have much more practical use than what we will once we are not full-time anymore.

My perspective is that we have gotten our monies worth and have fully tested this particular unit for the next owner. So, they'll get a great price and an honest seller. Then hopefully I'll find the same when we decide to downsize to a new combo
When you are getting ready to sell, check out similar models on RV Trader, and other internet sites to get an idea of the asking prices. I would also list your rig on RV Trader and others when ready. Be prepared to come off that price by 20% or more. RV’s typically have big mark ups. Start researching about 6 months before you list it. You should get a feel for the market. You might be surprised how far people will go for the right RV at the right price. I was looking for a specific floor plan and the right unit. I live in Texas and bought my rig in Florida and hauled it back. Turned out to be a great deal and good rig. You never know where the right buyer will come from so don’t think your local area is your only market. Happy trails.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 08:55 AM   #11
JShort880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
When you are getting ready to sell, check out similar models on RV Trader, and other internet sites to get an idea of the asking prices. I would also list your rig on RV Trader and others when ready. Be prepared to come off that price by 20% or more. RV’s typically have big mark ups. Start researching about 6 months before you list it. You should get a feel for the market. You might be surprised how far people will go for the right RV at the right price. I was looking for a specific floor plan and the right unit. I live in Texas and bought my rig in Florida and hauled it back. Turned out to be a great deal and good rig. You never know where the right buyer will come from so don’t think your local area is your only market. Happy trails.
Yeah. I've been constantly watching the private seller price and it's currently 10k higher than what I'm initially figured we would put ours up for next year and it's comfortably right around that 40% depreciation number.

Good thing is it won't be a rush to sale. I know someone who doesn't want to buy knew will find the ad and recognize that I'm looking forward for the next family/group to enjoy it as I have.

Thanks for all the input guys. Everyone is pretty much saying what I'm expecting. Sometimes someone will hit you with some knowledge that you didn't think about, so I figured I'd ask!
2021 Ford F450