Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
springfield5

ProPride Installed on a Cougar

I finally broke down and bought a ProPride. There has not been much information about this hitch installed on a Cougar so I thought I would share some pictures. I hope this helps if anyone else is considering the install.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	5133

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	5134
springfield5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
gtsum2

Looks good. Did u have to modify the tank holders or frame at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-23-2014, 05:47 AM   #3
springfield5

Actually no. I did not have to modify anything as there is plenty of clearance for everything with the exception of the W/D hooks on the W/D jacks. At the lowest point for the jacks they contact the propane cover on the inside. But, as you raise the W/D jacks you get more clearance. I haven't towed with it yet as I am still waiting on some good weather.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
Tinbender

You'll love towing with it.
I installed a Pro Pride on my Cougar 24RKS last spring and we have pulled about 3K with it so far. Would never use any other hitch again
Rick
Tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
Sherwood

I'll admit, I had to google this one as I never heard of it. Found their website and watched the video's. I was really impressed. Only problem I had was their price! Wow! $2,500 for the set-up. I paid slightly over $400 for my Reese Dual Cam set-up and I'm really pleased with it. I'm just wondering if the improvement is worth that much more money. I'm seeing a lot of people swearing by them the more I research it. But that price tag is pretty steep. I would really like to ride in a vehicle with one hooked up to see for myself.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
cabinfever

I found a Hensley used for $750. Can't wait to pick it up and get it installed and all set up. I do like some of the changes ProPride has made. The owner of the Hensley I purchased had an adjustable stinger made. Happy Towing!

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #7
Tinbender

The use of a Pro Pride or Hensley hitch depends completely on your towing situation, by that I mean if your towing a 20 foot trailer with a 3/4 ton DW with a 200+ inch wheel base then you are not really a candidate for one. If however your towing 24-30 foot at 7-8K with a 1/2 ton or even 3/4 ton with a shorter wheel base then you need one, period.

Personal experience is all I can relay. We bought a new 24 foot 1/2 ton towable last year and pulled it with our 2006 GMC 1500 heavy duty package, 133 inch wheel base. Now this truck and EZ lift with WD handled our old 24 foot trailer with ease but this new one was wider, taller,and a ton heavier.
First trips down the interstate was nothing but white knuckles and dirty shorts. The Semi's threw us all over the road and the mildest winds, 20-30 mph) were really bad.
Something had to be done. new trucks are 30-60K the hitch is 2500.

It took me about 6 months of research, looking at all that was available on line, talking with other owners through forums like this and several phone calls to Sean at Pro Pride.
Finally I was convinced that it was worth the expense.

The proof of it's value to us came a few months later. Getting ready to leave Wells NV one morning after an overnight the wind was gusting 40-45 miles per hour as I was hooking up. The fellow in the motor home next to us basically told me I was crazy for going on the road in winds like this. This statement of course got DW a little excited, so I told her we will try it to the next exit and if it is bad we will turn around and come back.

Well we hit the interstate traveling along about 40 mph waiting with white knuckles for the wind to do its thing. Nothing, no impact whatever. A semi overtaking us at about 50 mph, I drift to the right as far as possible, he passes us with no effect at all on the TT/TV. the only thing that effected us was later that day when a Dust Devil hit us broad side and we were traveling at about 55. Whole rig seemed to jump sideways but there was absolutly no sway, just jumped sideways and continued down the road.

If your interested in completely worry free towing, do the research, gather your questions and concerns and call Sean at Pro Pride he will be able to answer all your questions and concerns and if you pull the trigger he will walk you through the install on the phone if necessary.

The two main concerns I saw before purchase was install, which is a piece of cake and hooking up the TV. Hooking up I have found now that I have used it a while is faster and easier for me than the regular ball hitch hookup was.

The only concern I have found on my trailer is the location of my power tongue jack in relation to the WD bars. If the TV is at too much of an angle to the TT when trying to unhook sometimes the bar will be in the way of the foot plate as it descends, an easy fix.

No connection to Pro Pride whatsoever other than being a very well satisfied customer!!!
Rick
Tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
unyalli

X2 what tinbender says. went from an equal-i-zer to a propride and the outfit was linked at the hip. Tracked straight and true no matter what 50mph Wyoming wind shear blasted us and this was with my F150. I would have to look at the weeds on the side of the road to see if in fact it was windy.

Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
Sherwood

Well you guys sure make a heck of a sales pitch and after watching some videos and other comments on the internet, I sure would like to buy one. Even though my current set up is working just fine. The thought of getting rid of even more of that sway is very appealing. But that cost! Anybody care to help with the Pro Pride fund?

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #10
unyalli

I had $25,000 behind my $28,000 truck. It was a no brainier to me to connect my $53,000 together for $2,500.

Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:02 AM   #11
Loui

I too was a very satisfied Pro Pride owner for many of the same reasons already mentioned.
After 2 years I moved on to a fifth wheel, I was able to sell the Pro Pride hitch for $1800.

So in the end the cost was well worth it.

Montana 3685FL
Chev, D/A
Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #12
springfield5

I agree with everyone about the price. It took me two years to finally make the purchase. I was concerned that it would not fit but had a guarantee from Sean at ProPride. If it did not fit, I was told that I could return it...can't beat that. I was able to work with Sean on the price during the end of the year sales.

Now, if only the weather can actually turn towards Spring I can finally find out how well it tows.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #13
cabinfever

Just remember having a great hitch does not mean you can load the TT any way and the WD still is very important. Also adjust the brake setting so the TT comes on ahead of the TV to limit the possibility of the Hensley/ProPride bump.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #14
springfield5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
Just remember having a great hitch does not mean you can load the TT any way and the WD still is very important. Also adjust the brake setting so the TT comes on ahead of the TV to limit the possibility of the Hensley/ProPride bump.
That is always great advice! I am going for the same W/D that I had with my Equalizer. The old hitch towed OK, it was just really noisy and in the right situation felt just a little too close to the edge for comfort. This isn't going to change the way I load just hopefully the comfort level in the mountains and around semis on the highway. Over the past three years I have put over 8000 miles on this trailer with the old hitch.... I am ready for a little more comfort!

I had read about the "Hensley Bump" before. I am hopeful that I can tune that out on the Prodigy using the "boost" mode but time will tell.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and advice!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #15
audio1der

I have known about the Hensley/Propride since just after buying our TT (we bought the hitch from the TT dealer as we'd never towed before and wanted it installed properly to begin with).
Now we're looking at downsizing the TT to a 27' because of what a handful it is to tow. I had forgotten that $2500 might solve our issues, and would be cheaper than what we'd lose not only in $$ on the trade, but features you can't find in a 27'er. I'll keep this in my back pocket for when she brings it up again.
Thank you all!
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote