Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
Robp

Premier recessed puck lighting- Bulb type?

I have a 2014 Premier 22RBPR and I want to change out the 6 overhead puck lighting incandescant bulbs to LED bulbs. The current bulbs are 20w each x 6 and would kill a battery pretty quickly when dry camping. Even with shore power connected, the inverter fan kicks in when they are on which means they must draw a lot of power.

There is no part number on the bulb that I can use to cross refer to an LED or even get a replacement spare for the original ones. Has anyone replaced these bulbs and if so could someone provide a bulb part number? Or better yet an LED cross-reference number?
Thanks
Robp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
GaryWT

Hi, welcome to the forum, I have never given it a thought to change them so I dont have a numver for you. I was laughing though as I know my fan kicks on when they are on but I have a lot more than six, I have 6 just in the 2 bedrooms and there must be 8 or 10 in the main part of the trailer, no wonder I can blow a 30A breaker when the AC kicks on lol.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
DirtyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robp View Post
I have a 2014 Premier 22RBPR and I want to change out the 6 overhead puck lighting incandescant bulbs to LED bulbs. The current bulbs are 20w each x 6 and would kill a battery pretty quickly when dry camping. Even with shore power connected, the inverter fan kicks in when they are on which means they must draw a lot of power.

There is no part number on the bulb that I can use to cross refer to an LED or even get a replacement spare for the original ones. Has anyone replaced these bulbs and if so could someone provide a bulb part number? Or better yet an LED cross-reference number?
Thanks
Ha..........We have the EXACT same trailer!!!
And.........I just did the same exact bulb replacement, but I also replaced the 2 overhead bulbs in the bedroom as well.
Here's a link on ebay where I got mine:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-RV-Boat-...item4ac591fd29
There are 2 different color temps available.........warm white and cool white. They only draw 1.2 watts and are brighter and more comfortable on the eyes.....plus they look really cool as well.......
Keep in mind when you install them that they will only work when placed in the socket a certain way (polarity sensitive) so if they wont light after you install them, just pull it out and reverse the polarity of the poles.
I bought the cool white and they look very nice....have fun!
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
Robp

Thanks DirtyDan. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that wonders why there is high current bulbs put into trailers! I forgot about the two in the bedroom, those will be changed also.

I'll be ordering myself a couple packs!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
zenbuck

Hey Rob,
See here.. I changed out mine as well...

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12782

2014 Premier 31 BHPR
2011 Silverado 1500
zenbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Robp

Thanks for the info from everyone. I found a site online that has decent prices for LED lights. I am replacing my puck light bulbs with this one:

http://www.miniinthebox.com/g4-5050-...od_description

The remainder of my lights will be next.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
chartrand

I have the same unit and replaced all my bulbs to LED's as well. It's a bit more of a blue light than the normal yellow light, but it's way more efficient. Before changing out my bulbs, if I had my main cabin lights on I could hear my inverter working hard, but now I don't even hear it with all my lights on.

Oh and welcome to the group....

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:04 AM   #8
Travlntj

We have same lighting in Premier 19. Changed to LED's for the 2 in galley area, just removed bulbs from the rest. Works fine.

Tom
Travlntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
MISailor

Do the lenses on our puck lights twist off or pry off? I've got a bug body in one of mine that I'd like to remove. I've seen no movement with either a twist or pry but I've been afraid to apply too much pressure either way because I don't want to break anything.
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
zenbuck

They just pry off but some are on tight.. I used a butter knife to get under them an pry..

2014 Premier 31 BHPR
2011 Silverado 1500
zenbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
MISailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbuck View Post
They just pry off but some are on tight.. I used a butter knife to get under them an pry..
Thanks, Zenbuck.
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #12
cmg1

We just got our 22RBPR last weekend, and this was a no-brainer - as soon as I saw the 160W of halogen bulbs, I knew what I had to do.

I am wondering how happy you guys have been with the brightness of the LEDs? According to my exhaustive research (Google), the 20W halogen bulbs tend to run around 300-350 lumens. This compares to just 100-150 for the LED units people in this thread have been using.

I just ordered eight 3W LEDs (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that claim to be equivalent to 40W halogens, but are listed at 280 lumens - almost as bright as the original halogens.

But if people are happy with the brightness of the lower power ones, that would be even better.
cmg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:09 AM   #13
chartrand

I've used my LED replacements for most of last summer, and while they may not be as bright, they seem to be plenty bright for me. About the only place I think a brighter LED bulb would good, is above the dinette.

Pat

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

LED assemblies produce directional light. Depending on how the "bulb" is oriented in the light fixture will determine how much light is directed downward from the puck lights. The LED assemblies that cmg1 listed are great for a "horizontal" installation where they point down, but they lose a significant amount of light transfer when installed vertically in ceiling or under counter lights. This is because all the light is directed sideways, into the tube of the puck light. So if your puck lights have bulbs that install vertically, these might offer a bit more light brightness.

Here are a couple of G4 assemblies that produce "warm white" light similar to halogen or incandescent bulbs and that are installed so the light is pointed down, out of the fixture:
http://www.amazon.com/TORCHSTAR-3200...eywords=LED+G4

http://www.amazon.com/FACTOP-85-265V...eywords=LED+G4

I haven't used these (we don't have puck lights) but think they may provide much brighter light on surfaces below the puck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
cmg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
LED assemblies produce directional light. Depending on how the "bulb" is oriented in the light fixture will determine how much light is directed downward from the puck lights. The LED assemblies that cmg1 listed are great for a "horizontal" installation where they point down, but they lose a significant amount of light transfer when installed vertically in ceiling or under counter lights. This is because all the light is directed sideways, into the tube of the puck light. So if your puck lights have bulbs that install vertically, these might offer a bit more light brightness.
Thanks to everybody who replied!

Ours are horizontal. My only fear is that I'll find out the polarity is wrong and the LEDs will want to be installed upside down. The LEDs came today, so I'll find out soon. I'll report back after I install them.

UPDATE: The LEDs work great. The brightness is comparable with the original halogen bulbs. Once again, I used these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Many of the "directional LED assemblies" are now wired to be bi-polar (no not that kind of bipolar) and will work regardless of which is neg and which is pos. If, however, yours don't work, you can simply remove the light fixture, swap the two wires that connect the fixture to the RV and it will then be "polarity corrected" LOL

Good luck with your install

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #17
HappyCamperMN

For the folks with 2014 Premier campers, did you get yours early in the model year? We're looking at a 2014 31BHPR and the units on the dealer lot all have LED puck lights in them.
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #18
cmg1

I bought mine in November. All halogen.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #19
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg1 View Post
Thanks, I'll have to keep an eye on that and ask the dealer about them. Certainly not a huge deal to replace the bulbs, but would be happy if they came as LEDs.
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg1 View Post

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
cmg1,

You never got back with whether the polarity was correct and if the lights were bright enough to do what you wanted. How are they working out for you? We're interested in your experience with the new LED's.

Thanks

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS