Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
mw2307

intake pump hose came out of fresh water holding tank

I am very new to trailers so just finished winterizing for first time with help from a more experienced friend.

In the process of trying to run antifreeze from the fresh water holding tank we turned on the pump and could hear air moving but nothing from the holding tank. Connected a secondary hose directly to the inlet side of the pump and it sucked the antifreeze directly out of a jug of antifreeze and presurized the system.

We then reconnected the hose from the tank and still nothing. Also tried to suck through the hose and only got air. At that point noticed the hose was not attached to anything under the floor and pulled it out and the end that should have been in the tank was totally dry. So hose was not in the tank and how do you fish a hose back into the tank from the pump or should it actually be attached with a fitting as it was not.

I have a 2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLS.

Totally new to this so need all the help I can get and there is probably a simple answer.

Thanks
mw2307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

first mistake is dumping antifreeze into the tank. You could add 5-10 gallons before it got deep enough for the pump to suck it up and then after pumping a gallon out it would suck air. Typically you drain the tank, don’t add any antifreeze and then do a direct draw from the antifreeze bottle to the pump through the plumbing system. You typically use 2 gallons or less for the entire system including traps. Anything dumped into the fresh water tank is wasted and dewinterizing is a nightmare.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #3
mw2307

That is more or less what I ended up doing. Sometimes following friends advise is not so good.

However now how do I get the hose that goes from the tank to the pump back into the tank as it was not connected to the tank.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Here's a video on winterizing. He even makes some comments about trying to get the anti freeze taste out of the FW tank.

Not sure about the water line coming in......
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:26 PM   #5
Customer1

Typically the hose is connected to a fitting low on the tank. I haven't seen one just stuck down into the tank. Maybe something the previous owner modified?
Old 10-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
BulletOwner1

As said before the outlet of the fresh water tank is on the lower edge or bottom of the tank. Now, how to find it.

First, does your trailer have the underbelly covered? If not you should be able to access the tank outlet fairly easily. Albeit you'll be on your back looking up at the tank. If your lucky you can poke the water tube to the pump back down the hole and find it sticking out somewhere near the tank and reconnect it. If you have the underbelly covered that presents a more serious issue as you'll probably end up undoing it to find the tank. Lots of work laying on your back.

A piece of advice: if you do have to drop the covering remember if you end up with a couple of short screws where they go. I had to drop the covering on my Bullet a few years ago and did not realize that I had some shorter screws and went ahead and reinstalled the material and put two long screws where the short ones went and screwed holes right into the fresh water tank that was resting on the frame rail. I was able to repair the tank but was a lot of aggravation that I didn't need.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
travelin texans

Thought on the entry level RVs, such as the Bullet, the fw tanks were under the bed? Sorry not familiar with all floorplans.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #8
mw2307

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looking closer at the hose that went from the tank to the pump it looks like a mouse chewed through it.

Unluckily my unit has the cold climate package so the bottom is all closed in and insulated.

Will have to drop the floor in the spring and fix the hose.

Thank you.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #9
BulletOwner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Thought on the entry level RVs, such as the Bullet, the fw tanks were under the bed? Sorry not familiar with all floorplans.
We had the 284RLS, 2012 (TT, not 5th wheel). All the tanks were in the "crawl space". Lots of fun getting the coroplast down. The reason I took it down was to install a layer of that foil/bubble wrap insulation on top of the coroplast. My idea of making the underbelly a little more protected as we were going to the Reno area late in the year for several months. And while I was in the underbelly I straightened out some of the heater ductwork to be better air ducts. It was amazing/depressing to look at the way ducts/pipes/wires were routed underneath.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #10
BulletOwner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw2307 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looking closer at the hose that went from the tank to the pump it looks like a mouse chewed through it.

Unluckily my unit has the cold climate package so the bottom is all closed in and insulated.

Will have to drop the floor in the spring and fix the hose.

Thank you.
Well you have something else to tackle now - mice. I'd be setting out traps and looking for entry points. Good luck with that.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:23 PM   #11
mw2307

No sign of mice currently in trailer but they little guys got in there at some time in the past before I bought it.

I have traps, bait stations, sticky pads, and lots of bounce sheets strewn about the trailer as I have been told mice are not a fan of the smell. Any holes are filled with steel wool so that should help keep them out too.

All that said if they want to get into the insulated belly it will be hard to keep them out they don't need much space to get in.

I could probably spread moth balls around outside the trailer as well I don't think they like the smell but not sure if they will do any good once the snow starts.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #12
travelin texans

Skip the stinking moth balls, make a trip to Tractor Supply to pick up some Fresh Cab rodent repellant to place in & under cabinets, it smells good, it works! Also pick up while at TS some Ramick Green pellets to scatter under & around outside, it also works.
Did I mention moth balls really stink?? Don't know if they deter rodents, but they damn sure will deter me!!
Just FYI, mice make real nice smelling nest with dryer sheets!
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #13
busterbrown

I second Fresh Cab. Smells are way more pleasant and overall, the product is more effective.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:59 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

I will chime in for Fresh Cab. When I was a kid my mom used moth balls in the closet and things always stunk to high heaven. I've used them for a rodent deterrent and all I got from them was a very stinky product that might have marginally worked. Fresh Cab on the other hand smells good; in fact I like going into my storage barn and immediately I get a nice whiff of Fresh Cab - pretty nice....and it works too! I've not had any mice while using it.

Edit: I will say that not only do I put it inside the RV I put it at each wheel and the tongue.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #15
Sjsmith0918

We had the same thing with our Bullett Premier 22. It turned out to be an easy fix that the dealer did from an access point inside the trailer. It appeared that the hose was never threaded much. It was out of warrantee, but taken care of at no cost.
Sjsmith0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #16
duh1

Someone said iris h spring soap bars deter rodents. Going to try it but really have not had rodent problem, but hey worth the effort to keep it that way! Price is right!
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh1 View Post
Someone said iris h spring soap bars deter rodents. Going to try it but really have not had rodent problem, but hey worth the effort to keep it that way! Price is right!
There are numerous reports on this forum and on others that Irish Spring soap bars, stored or placed in the trailer and under it have been found with "gnaw marks" and mouse droppings on the bars. It may be a matter of "taste" with some mice not preferring Irish Spring and others "loving the taste"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are numerous reports on this forum and on others that Irish Spring soap bars, stored or placed in the trailer and under it have been found with "gnaw marks" and mouse droppings on the bars. It may be a matter of "taste" with some mice not preferring Irish Spring and others "loving the taste"....
Makes sense to me as most soaps are made from fats. I guess some mice prefer a certain bouquet that others do not.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #19
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Survey shows that 8 out of 10 mice prefer Irish Spring over other brands and dryer sheets.

Name:   download%20(3).jpg
Views: 544
Size:  9.1 KB

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #20
travelin texans

If you want something that actually works get Fresh Cab packets & place under cabinets, storage areas throughout the rv. They smell good & really work.
Replacement undetermined

Tags
tank, water