Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2019, 05:52 PM   #1
mfifield01

Camping time limited

I've been debating on when it is time to get out of camping. It's not a lack of interest, it's a matter of time. My kid's are getting into activities more and more. I travel a lot for work and the DW will be going back to work shortly. In the next 6 months, I can only see myself camping 1-2 times. Paying for storage/insurance without using the TT seems like a waste of money. Anyone else think about moving on?
Old 08-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

To me, life dictates that decision. How much time will you be able to camp? Will you be happy in a tent? Not camping at all?

My kids got into lots of activities but I kept camping. They came along because whatever they were doing generally didn't involve weekends. When my daughter reached high school, got involved in many activities and advanced classes (and was granted more scholarships in the history of the school) I slowed down for a while.

Life is long, school/kids is short, fun to be had/memories made is short as well. It totally depends on how you are structuring your future and how you want to spend it based on the importance you place on "stuff". I went without a trailer for about 12 years thinking I was on the right track; in retrospect I probably should have kept it but that is just me looking back.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
PSD Andy

I've had similar thoughts,but I'm trying to hang on or hold out. Our son is in middle school and the schedule gets busier every year.

We like our Sprinter and we like traveling with it vs. staying in a motel. So I can't really part with it either. The past couple years we just plan one week long trip and then every few weeks from spring to fall we try to squeeze in a weekend or "3 day" weekend with a trip that's only 150 miles or less to home. It's still enjoyable for us.

Nothing gets cheaper and I'm sure the quality of units won't get better either so I figured I'm best to just stay with what I have and ride it out. Our son will be graduating from high school in 5 years and if those go as fast as the previous 5 that will be here before we know it. My wife and I plan to do lots of camping trips after that when time allows. It's something we've both wanted to do for many years.

Try to weigh all the options for current and long term.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I raised my children in a "simpler time" so what worked for me 30 years ago may not be as relevant today as it was then. But, it may be even more true now than it was then.... That's up to each to decide.

I found that camping, getting away, just the 4 of us, without the trappings of TV, phones, visitors, friends, activities, movies, just going to the mall with friends and all the other diversions, we spent much more quality time as a family, around the campfire than we ever did at home, around the pool....

Honestly, some of the most important conversations that my son and I had, conversations that we both remember today as "changing points in his maturity" occurred before breakfast, when sitting by a smoldering campfire, waiting for it to blaze again. Conversations that never seemed to happen at home, either because of the TV, interruptions from the phone or someone having plans to be anywhere but home.... It was the same with my daughter, but my DW and her tended to "pal around the campground" more than she and I did. Both our kids still talk about the camping trips, the lessons learned, the laughable moments, the times shared with mom and dad.

I'm not suggesting those moments won't occur without a trailer, but the "escapability" that comes with an RV is difficult to match in today's world.

Of course, what worked for us may be totally wrong for another family, so weigh all the options and see what comes out on top.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
busterbrown

Nicely stated John. Camping has allowed us to exploit the cohesiveness of our young family. Campfire chats, hikes on off-beaten trails, and the family adventures (many unplanned) is what it's really all about. Hopefully we can keep it going for as long as the kids are under our care.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:28 AM   #6
Tbos

That’s a tough place to be in. When I moved back to MD I sold my tent camper for similar reasons. Looking back, that was a good decision at that time for us. There were times I wished I’d have kept it. If you can afford it then I’d say hang on to it and enjoy those couple of trips a year. School years go fast. If you can’t keep it then give someone a good deal on your TT. They will enjoy it.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:54 AM   #7
jsmith948

Keep the camper and enjoy it as much as you can...the current position on climate change (yes I believe it is real) is a push toward "all-electric" vehicles in as few as 11 years (2030). It won't matter whether or not these vehicles will be the cure - we will be "encouraged" to accept them.
The DW and I will be 83 by then...puling our teardrop with an electric midsized pick-up

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:18 AM   #8
mfifield01

All good comments. My kids are younger, so the activities are only starting. Both of them like camping. I told my daughter that we were thinking about selling and she almost started to cry. We just got back from a 15 day trip to NM/CO, so we've gotten good use. I'm not a big fan of the 2 day weekend trips that we would have to move towards during the school year. It's not that I can't afford to keep it, it's just that I have a conservative mindset. I don't like the idea of spending money on something that sits around in storage. If I could store it at home, things might change (a little).

My DW was looking at jobs and came across RVshare.com. It's a possibility for keeping for a few larger trips a year. My concern is around things breaking as other's use it. I'm constantly fixing things now. It's probably more stress than it's worth.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:47 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

You say you aren't a fan of "2 day trips". Why? Living in Austin you are surrounded by about a zillion places you can go within an hour or 2 and be set up. The trailer can always be ready to "go" and all you need to do is hitch up and get out. Heck, when I worked and we didn't have an RV I would call the wife at noon and tell her "let's go camping" for the weekend and she would have the pickup loaded (tent camping) and ready to roll by about 6pm and we were off. We loved it and would have really enjoyed a TT back then. Think it thru. Sounds like you are at a time when you will be making some unforgettable memories with the kids.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:57 AM   #10
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You say you aren't a fan of "2 day trips". Why? Living in Austin you are surrounded by about a zillion places you can go within an hour or 2 and be set up. The trailer can always be ready to "go" and all you need to do is hitch up and get out. Heck, when I worked and we didn't have an RV I would call the wife at noon and tell her "let's go camping" for the weekend and she would have the pickup loaded (tent camping) and ready to roll by about 6pm and we were off. We loved it and would have really enjoyed a TT back then. Think it thru. Sounds like you are at a time when you will be making some unforgettable memories with the kids.
It's not the actual driving, it's the packing and cleaning. Since the camper is in storage, I need to bring it home to pack. If it was at home, I would just space the packing over a few days. Another issue is getting a campsite in this area. Weekends are typically booked 4 months out.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:26 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
All good comments. My kids are younger, so the activities are only starting. Both of them like camping. I told my daughter that we were thinking about selling and she almost started to cry. We just got back from a 15 day trip to NM/CO, so we've gotten good use. I'm not a big fan of the 2 day weekend trips that we would have to move towards during the school year. It's not that I can't afford to keep it, it's just that I have a conservative mindset. I don't like the idea of spending money on something that sits around in storage. If I could store it at home, things might change (a little).

My DW was looking at jobs and came across RVshare.com. It's a possibility for keeping for a few larger trips a year. My concern is around things breaking as other's use it. I'm constantly fixing things now. It's probably more stress than it's worth.
NO WAY, NO HOW would I "share" my RV regardless of the money!!!!! It would sit idle indefinitely or be sold long before that would happen!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:32 AM   #12
Roscommon48

You'll know when, it is a personal choice. Good luck. Our issue is our age and when to stop traveling like we do.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:14 PM   #13
CaptnJohn

I’m no fan of 2 day trips either. No fan of moving the 5er during June July or August either. But, I’m retired and figure if taking it out of storage I’ll be gone 2 weeks to 4 months before returning to regroup to go again. The only thing we unload or load at the house is food as we have everything needed in the 5er. My wife washes clothes and cleans the night before leaving and while I’m outside dumping, removing hoses and etc. when my daughters became teenagers with many activities I sold until they left home.
Funny, in the 1970s when we started the biggest we had for the 4 of us was 28’ and no slides. Now for the 2 of us it is 41’ and 5 slides.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #14
LewisB

There's clearly no right or wrong answer to this dilemma - we all have to face it. John summed it up nicely.

I would add that some of our best family memories were "special" trips camping - like the year our oldest son was a senior in HS. We knew our days camping with the whole family were limited so we did a full blown western US/Canada national parks type trip. That trip is regularly recalled in family discussions even today. And then...

After the kids were gone, we considered "down sizing" - simplifying life. We had friends who had put off a lot of travel in order to save money for "retirement" at which point they would travel the world. Problem was, my friend's wife passed due to cancer the year before the planned retirement. From that, we decided we would start our "retirement fun" a couple of decades before actual retirement. Even if only for 2 days, we made a point to get out and do things together, knowing that we had no idea what God had in store for our future. So...

If you can afford to keep your rig - I would. It probably won't bring a lot if you sold it now - but it would cost a lot to replace it if you change your mind. Life gets away quickly. I'm 71 but still 17 in my mind (dyslexic?). The DW says she raised 3 teenagers - and only got rid of 2.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #15
Rbpinney

It feels tough sometimes when life has all those things coming at you and demanding attention. Think about winter camping also. Yeah, most likely the trailer/RV will be 'dry', but you can usually find a state park with electric sites open. When living in Colorado, we'd get out 2-3 times over winter. Our primary activity was ice fishing. Gotta watch the weather close.
Rbpinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #16
gearhead

About middle school the kids schedules prevented much travel. Drill team, tennis, softball, etc. weekends and summer. We sold the motorhome after no use for a year. After retirement we got back in a RV. We thought it was best for the kids to have their interests fulfilled rather than ours.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #17
mfifield01

I put it up on Craigslist about a week ago, but I'm not really a "motivated" seller. If I wanted to really push it, I'd put it up on a few other sites.

I started to think about what I would get in the future. It made me realize that I have what I want in the near term. Anything bigger and I need a bigger truck. My only concern is around the longevity of the trailer. With the start of camping season (fall in Texas), I've been looking at weekend trips. I need to look at more efficient ways to pack.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #18
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
We had friends who had put off a lot of travel in order to save money for "retirement" at which point they would travel the world. Problem was, my friend's wife passed due to cancer the year before the planned retirement. ...
I live by the philosophy "We're here for a good time ...not a long time". This life is not a rehearsal for something more. As far as anyone can prove to me, this is the one. I'm making the most of it now and spending the kids inheritance (SKI)
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:46 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

"We had friends who had put off a lot of travel in order to save money for "retirement" at which point they would travel the world. Problem was, my friend's wife passed due to cancer the year before the planned retirement. From that, we decided we would start our "retirement fun" a couple of decades before actual retirement. Even if only for 2 days, we made a point to get out and do things together, knowing that we had no idea what God had in store for our future. So..."

I watched what seemed like a never ending stream of folks I'd known for decades do the above. Hold off, deprive themselves, save money etc. ALL waiting for "retirement". THEN they were going to have the good times. All of them died or their spouse. It was quite eye opening to us. We have spent our lives going because we like to. I retired at 55 because I could and we went and did things because I didn't want to be like all those before whose funeral came before they got to retire. I intend to have a zillion memories if DW goes first and hopefully she has just as many.

"I live by the philosophy "We're here for a good time ...not a long time". This life is not a rehearsal for something more...…….I'm making the most of it now and spending the kids inheritance (SKI)"

It's funny but DW and I were just making the same observation yesterday.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #20
Bnrc73

Before you decide just keep in mind that some of those weekend tournaments that is in your future, a campground is a whole lot cheaper than motels. My suggestion would be to keep the trailer, use it when you can, and in a blink of an eye you’ll be empty nesters and you still have a camper you love. I wish I had camping for bonding and building memories when I was in your situation all those years ago.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote