Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2017, 06:02 PM   #1
Gasman3062

Norcold 2118 Refrigerator

I have a new 369 I just used it for the first time. The Polarmax 2118 refrigerator would only cool to 45 degrees on gas or electric seemed like the burner never shut off, Thermister is ok and setting is on 9 all fans are good also checked venting ok. It works the same in very hot weather as well as about 75 degrees I took it back to the dealer they done some checks and said Norcold told them its within specs... Has anyone had any issues with this model not working. Or If you have this model and it works what kind of temps are you getting. So far im not impressed with Norcold ..Thanks for any help..
Gasman3062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:51 PM   #2
Frank G

There have been some recent posts about blockage in the cooling path from the factory. Take a good look at the cooling path especially if it has a roof vent. Some times they forget to remove insulation and stuff from under the vent. The installation manual that came with the RV should detail proper installation methods. Remember the unit must be fairly level to cool properly.

I just looked, we have a 2118 in our 17 Laredo, it has been on since May. it is set on 5 and will freeze stuff in the fridge if not careful. We use the RV every couple of weeks so we never unload it. It operates on electric most of the time as we have a hook-up at home. We let it do its propane thing going down the road. My wife purchased this unit because of the fridge.

Check the door seals, seams like we have to gently push on the right door after using the left door to get a complete seal.

BTW these are $3,500.00 refrigerators in the retail market, demand that it works correctly. We are very happy with ours.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
Gasman3062

Thanks Frank; mine vents from the side and is level I feel its a bad fridge from the beginning but sounds like the dealer doesnt want to deal with it Norcold says its within specs. The refrigerator is also the reason we purchased this model I would be fine with it if the setting was on 6 but its on 9 and there is no room for adjustment. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

This is just a "last ditch try" before you find another service center to work on the refrigerator. It's obviously not within specs or it would be freezing food in the bottom of the refrigerator when set on the coldest settings. So, you're right, your dealer isn't doing you any favors....

Before you take it back in (or find someone else to repair it) turn it off, open the doors and let it sit without power overnight. Then, close the doors, put the temperature adjustment on the middle setting and turn the refrigerator on. Let it "do its thing" for 24 hours and check the temperature in the refrigerator. You might find putting the remote from an "indoor/outdoor" thermometer will give you the temps without opening the door to check (and losing cold air which invalidates the temps).

Sometimes, when set to the coldest settings an absorption refrigerator will "percolate itself into a vapor lock" and cause the system to no longer cool efficiently. While this may very well not be what's wrong with your refrigerator, at least trying to allow the system to reset and return to "normal" may be all that's needed.

If that doesn't help, if I were you, I'd discuss the problem with the service manager, not the service writer and try to reach an understanding of what your complaints are. That refrigerator should easily maintain freezer temps at "near zero" and refrigerator temps of 35, even with ambient temperatures near the 100 mark. Something's not right with yours and the dealer needs to "step up to the plate" to fix it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Tell your dealer to do a manometer test AT THE FRIDGE with the W/H and Furnace on. We have found low flow to some Norcold models. Also the position of the thermistor is critical on Norcolds, I have the paper at work but IIRC it has to be on the second fin from the right and 1/2" from the top. I will check on Monday.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #6
Alpine3700

Having the same problem with my 2118. Never has worked well. Was there any resolution for you?
Alpine3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:51 AM   #7
RaptorJB

Here is my 2Cents... I have a 2017 Raptor 425TS with that Norcold dual door fridge.
When we got her home turned on the fridge, tested and worked fine...then 1 month out our 1st main voyage it froze everything in the fridge. DW said "you got it on 9" you big dummy. Yep I get that alot.... 2nd trip starting having problems as we notice fridge wasn't as cold, freezer was still cold and freezing ICE and on the 3rd day just quit working. Had to turn it off and let it sit for 15min, turn it back on and working again but not cooling in the fridge, freezer was still fine. 3rd and 4th trip the same thing happen. We started the investigation at this point, reading manuals, reading this forum, looking at youtube, etc...

Here we go:
1. The thermistor... when I check and pulled it off the fin I had wires in my hand so not a good connection and after fixing that we notice the fridge was working well on electricity and no more "on the 3rd day" not working even in the freezer. DW and I was very happy we fix it on our own.... Well that fix one issue but we still notice temps have a hard time getting anything below 45, not good...
2. Check everything on the outside that I read to check, check it again and again.
3. The doors! One thing we notice that we could still hear the fan when both doors are closed on the fridge... so the door on the left has the center part that moves into position "Flat or parallel with door"... when that left door is closed notice the black flap was at an angle and not "Flat". So manually moved it into the right position and tested it over night.... Sure enough next morning I was at 32 inside the fridge, change setting to 5 and next day was at 38 in the fridge.... Sweet maybe this is it...
4. Door fix.... when both doors are open at the bottom there is a "Made in America" Sticker (think that is what it said) removed it and all the sticky stuff. Put a dab of DAWN on the door flap (door flap is attached to the door on the left) on top and bottom. So now gently close the left door you can see and hear the door flap move into position, now gently close the right door and you should see it "suck in" and should be a little hard to hear that fan blowing. Open both doors again, close the right door 1st then the left door and make sure the black door flap moves into position. Again you should see it "suck in" and once you see that should be in a better state.

It sounds simple enough but what you don't know you don't know.
Hope this helps, check those doors.... I think if your freezer is working but fridge is not cooling enough then check door seals, that door flap may be a problem.
Curt Q24 5th Wheel Hitch Slider
RaptorJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #8
ktwillys

Great thread...

Have been fighting with this issue for some time now..

And sure enough the center bar was not closing even close to all the way flat..

Thank you to the OP
ktwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:39 PM   #9
Gasman3062

I added a few thin washers to the bottom of the doors and raised it enough that there is no rubbing. But still no change with getting the temp down I ended up installing 2 fans on the outside that pulls air out of the top vent this helps a bit and I installed another fan inside across the fins that just moves the air inside.The fridge and freezer work great when temp are in the 70s I will need to turn it to 7 or but it's 105 where I'm at and I need to load it and go all my trips are in a cooler climate but still the fridge sucks I'm not impressed.i have tried everything that was suggested above Good luck.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:17 AM   #10
ktwillys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman3062 View Post
I added a few thin washers to the bottom of the doors and raised it enough that there is no rubbing. But still no change with getting the temp down I ended up installing 2 fans on the outside that pulls air out of the top vent this helps a bit and I installed another fan inside across the fins that just moves the air inside.The fridge and freezer work great when temp are in the 70s I will need to turn it to 7 or but it's 105 where I'm at and I need to load it and go all my trips are in a cooler climate but still the fridge sucks I'm not impressed.i have tried everything that was suggested above Good luck.

I agree.. these are supposed to be the high end RV fridge but when it gets the least bit warm they tend to fail.
I ordered some high volume 120 mm 12 volt fans to install to see if they help.
I do dry camp every now and then so have to add an extra battery to make sure I dont run out of juice..
I got the big fridge so I dont have to use an ice chest.. but still do for drinks..
hopefully the fans will help..
ktwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:11 AM   #11
fatcatzzz

Amish cooling unit has fixed all my 2118 problems.
https://rvcoolingunit.com/
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #12
More2See

2118 Norcold Double Door SS

I have read a couple of the treads and problems. I too have the double doors stainless fridge.

Common problems and solutions we have already taken.

1. As mentioned before the bar on the left door was sticking at the bottom when closing and preventing the right door from closing problem. This results in a large heat loss. Solution was to elongate the holes at move the bar up slightly and make sure there is no sticky residue as mentioned also.
2. The thermistor has failed twice now so we carry a spare. Also make sure the thermistor was installed on the correct fin at the top of the fridge and in the correct position and orientation. Half way down pointing down on the second fin from the right side. This is a common solution if the freezer is freezing and the fridge stays warm.
3. I installed a small fan at the bottom of the fridge powered off of the light input power so always on to move air around inside the fridge and prevent freezing.
4. Since we have a double vent on the outside make sure the two small fans on the back of the unit are working to blow up to vent air movement out the top.
5. When I removed the top vent outside I found some additional aluminum sheeting blocking about 50% of the vent. I removed this and the fridge operates much better.
6. You can enter the diagnostic mode by pressing the propane/electric button at the same time as pressing the heat setting button. Scroll to the third mode and this will show you the current temperature in the fridge.
More2See is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #13
Greggde

Call Norcold customer service and Ask for James Kurowicki we are having the same issues and found that the dealers that we spoke to were less than honest in their assessment's , if
they would even return my calls. If dealers are not able to
Greggde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #14
Laredo Tugger

I have this same fridge in my 2017 Laredo. I have read with great interest all the previous post as my fridge also just doesn't seem to perform real well.
My first solution will be the door flap, I have noticed it needs to be manually flipped into the proper position each time you close the door. I am going to employ some of the things suggested here for a better door seal.
Also on inspection today I noticed the "additional aluminum sheeting blocking about 50% of the vent" that More2See mentioned in his post. I debated cutting it out as it looks like it directs air flow over the coils (which I guess is good) but somewhat blocks air from exiting the fridge compartment (which is bad?). I have seen an after market Air Flow Baffle that essentially does the same thing as this "piece of aluminum" (actually cut up J Skirting from the side of the trailer) and I am confused as to why something that was removed from one fridge (More2See did this) improved the fridge performance, and on the other hand someone is selling the same part as something to improve condenser cooling. chuckster, the microphone is in your face here (so to speak)
I will say I had the trailer parked in one location for over three weeks this summer. The area was an inland valley in CA and temps were in the high 90s almost everyday. My fridge started melting the ice cream and other items in the fridge were not cold. I used (2)zip ties each to secure the exterior covers through the holes where the screw mounts were. I then "propped" the covers out away from the fridge compartment with short sticks. This ensured shade and rain protection for the fridge compartment. With the prevailing winds that came every afternoon heat from the fridge was able to be removed and the fridge worked much,much better. Had to turn the settings down.
So maybe I answered my own question here? Not sure.
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #15
Greggde

Have any of you had any experience with a company by the name of ARP , they are an aftermarket company that apparently sells kits meant to improve the functions of the heat absorption refrigerators. I am considering one of their three blower kits for our failed 2019 model 2118 Norcold that has been scrutinized and tested in all manners known . their website www.ARPrv.com
Thank you in advance
Greggde
Old 11-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde View Post
Have any of you had any experience with a company by the name of ARP , they are an aftermarket company that apparently sells kits meant to improve the functions of the heat absorption refrigerators. I am considering one of their three blower kits for our failed 2019 model 2118 Norcold that has been scrutinized and tested in all manners known . their website www.ARPrv.com
Thank you in advance
Greggde
There are two "opposite and opposing" views on this "fix"....

First, your refrigerator is under warranty and Norcold/Keystone need to step up and fix it. There are hundreds, probably thousands of similar models with the same refrigerator that are working "flawlessly". Yours should too.

That said:

Adding aftermarket items to "get OEM performance standards" are sometimes successful, sometimes just a means to spend money and get nothing in return....

My view (for what it's worth) is that adding "aftermarket fixes" is a risky thing to do. First, it will likely void your OEM warranty, so once you drill the first hole or plug in the first extra wiring harness, you've taken Norcold out of the process. Second, often times aftermarket "fixes" work great for a few weeks, sometimes, only because the buyer is "hoping they work, so they see improvement" (then.....). Once the "fix kit" has been in the refrigerator for a year or so, what do you do when it breaks, that warranty is expired and you've voided the warranty with Norcold???

If it were me, I'd be "raising hell with Norcold, Keystone and my dealer, not jeopardizing my warranty with aftermarket fixes, no matter how tried and true they might be.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #17
Greggde

Have done all of the above and not been real successful as of yet, It currently is at McBrides in Chino, California being repaired under Norcolds parameters where their Tech has found Blockage at the top of the compartment and supposedly has fixed, hopefully, this will be the repair needed to remedy this one of several issues with our new Fusion . Having spent time in Management with one of the large RV manufactures I learned that the Squeaky Wheel does not alway's get the Grease in a timely manner.
Greggde
Old 10-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #18
mcomeaux

Norcold 2118 been working fine until all of a sudden. Set on 4 had temps of 7-9 in freezer and 33-35 in lower Fridge. Thermistor is on second fin 1 inch from top. Then out of no where it jumps to 54 in fridge and 17 in freezer. Unplugged empty the unit and reactivated. 7-9 in freezer and 54 in fridge. Put thermistor at bottom of second fin and got 51 in fridge and freezer 8 any suggestions?
Old 10-25-2021, 12:14 PM   #19
NMRandy

I have a 2020 model 2118 polar max. I was getting to 45 deg F, in the fridge area, on a 90 deg day. I found a fan on Amazon for $25, that I mounted in the upper cover blowing outwards, that runs constantly. The factory fans run a lot less, (they are on a temp switch). The fridge works a lot better, and will keep 35 deg. It helps to have stuff in the fridge.
NMRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #20
mcomeaux

Well had a tech look at our refrigerator and I knew I was in trouble when you start seeing head scratching and guessing. Being out in the desert in Arizona resources are limited. Have another guy coming Monday that actually told me about JC Refridgeration . I did the gas/electric conversion on the last trailer which was outstanding. Anyone have the 12 volt dual compressor conversion done? Sure sounds like the way to go…