Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
T4Bama

KeyTV

KeyTV is a joke. I’ve taken my RV to two dealers and made numerous calls to Keystone, all to no avail. Keystone offers nothing in regards to remedy and both dealers openly admitted that they knew nothing about it. Keystone makes bold statements about this product, but will not offer any help. Good luck to anyone with this particular issue.
T4Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
GeekSquadOfUn

What's not working ? Just curious, mine works fine, I had to remove the KeyTV panel in my utility bay to tighten all the connections and it's working great.

One thing I hate is that you cannot scan for OTA channels if you connected to Cable TV, as it switches to Cable.. but that's about it. I just disconnect the cable to scan for OTA stations.

Dealers are overwhelmed with new tech - same thing with iN-Command - they don't have a clue....

My Furrion oven pilot is lit from the clicker on top, yet my dealer was insisting I still had to bend down and use a lighter to light the pilot. Idiots.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
T4Bama

OTA, Cable, Satellite, nothing. I’ve tried everything I know including making sure all connections are tight and in the right place. Dealers are saying they were never informed or trained on KeyTV. I use Dish which is supposed to be compatible with the system. I can do a work around but that just defeats the purpose of this so-called cutting-edge technology. Frustrated is not the appropriate word for how I feel.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
GeekSquadOfUn

There's not a whole lot of difference between old and new.

KeyTV has an electronic sniffer and it will detect frequencies on the various IN connections. Cable is very specific, so is Satellite, if either of them is detected it disables the Booster. And it will turn the Booster ON if it detects nothing.

The roof antenna is still powered and in a different form factor, as it supports TV, FM radio and LTE cell.

Has it ever worked OK or did you just get your RV now ?
Old 10-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
T4Bama

Bought the unit in April of this year. It actually worked one time for a day and a half. Thought maybe I had finally turned the corner. It quit and hasn’t worked again.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:45 AM   #6
Tbos

At a minimum your dealer should be explaining to Keystone all you and they have done to troubleshoot and be asking for a replacement box. If all the connections from the back of the box are good to each TV the only thing left is the box or power to the box.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:06 AM   #7
ChuckS

If you have verified the blue power light is on, and physically verified the center pin of each F connector to the KeyTV box has the center of the coax protruding thru BOTH ends then the KeyTV box is BAD... period...

Special training for the dealership? What a crock of HS the dealers are feeding.. the KeyTV box is an “active” powered box that if working and coax connections are good from box to device will either pass a signal or it won’t...

Any RV tech that’s been working on RVs would know this....

Your best resolve is to work with Keystone Customer relations and in detail explain what is not working with the KeyTV...

You could bypass each of those F connectors going to KeyTV box and for example...

1. Remove coax out on KeyTV box to 1 TV set
2. Use a double female F connector and connect cable removed to barrel
3. Connect PARK coax cable to other end
4. Turn TV on and set to cable and do search
5. If stations are now found with bypassing the KeyTV box then the

KeyTV box is BAD... period

The KeyTV box also provides 12 volts DC power up to the OTA antenna.. the OTA antenna is an “active device” and requires 12 volts for the antenna pre amp to function

Try what I listed in steps 1 thru 5

And if you have SAT do that the same way... bypass the KeyTV box using a barrel connector

This way you can verify that each independent coax run from KeyTV box to TV is good

Then you’ll know exactly what the issue is

My money is on a defective KeyTV box IF cable from output to each TV set is good..

They are supposed to be separate runs, color coded for easier trouble shooting

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:12 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

KeyTV, InCommand, auto leveling, Furrion Wifi system... who dreams up this stuff? I am sure it looks good on paper but enough complaints lodged on many of these items deosn't make me want to have them on a trailer I own. Sorry but I haven't figured out how to program my VCR yet... getting to old for all these complications!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:20 AM   #9
ChuckS

This document is all that any RV tech would need to troubleshoot the KeyTV system. And if the OP has basic skill sets he can use this to troubleshoot and verify the issue..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Key TV MSSC Troubleshooting Guide.pdf (1.73 MB, 693 views)

Old 10-15-2019, 06:31 AM   #10
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
This document is all that any RV tech would need to troubleshoot the KeyTV system. And if the OP has basic skill sets he can use this to troubleshoot and verify the issue..
Thank you for this document.

Very helpful.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Dont have one so no experience with it. Maybe contact the manufacturer of the box instead of Keystone.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #12
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Bama View Post
Bought the unit in April of this year. It actually worked one time for a day and a half. Thought maybe I had finally turned the corner. It quit and hasn’t worked again.
Mine works for about 2 hours, and then quits. I once went from 31 channels to zero. Sometimes is will work all night, sometimes it quits in the middle of the day.

I complained and took mine back to dealer. They did a channel scan and got some channels, so they stopped right there. They have no idea how to deal with KeyTV.

When I took delivery, I asked where the Booster switch was. They had 2 techs looking for it for 1/2 hour, and of course - they never did find it. I figured it out when I got home and did some research.

My next step is to pull the KeyTv unit out and look for loose connections.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #13
ChuckS

Since your KeyTV works for a while then quits the issue is heat related to a component on the KeyTV board... the document I posted previously is all that any dealership needs to troubleshoot and verify operation..

You need a new KeyTV module from Keystone... work with your dealership..show them the file Ive uploaded.. and tell them to get with Keystone and order s replacement...

Also a call with Keystone Customer Satisfaction and reference the file uploaded .. I’ve seen several folks having failures with the box.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #14
T4Bama

As an experiment, yesterday I disconnected the 2 and 3 cables from the KeyTV box, leaving only the primary tv (Satellite) and the ota connected. It started the download process almost immediately. Still working today, but not going to get my hopes too high. Following your suggestions, it would make me believe that the box is bad or the diplexers on back of the wall mounts. ??
Old 10-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #15
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
You need a new KeyTV module from Keystone... work with your dealership..show them the file Ive uploaded.. and tell them to get with Keystone and order s replacement...

Also a call with Keystone Customer Satisfaction and reference the file uploaded .. I’ve seen several folks having failures with the box.
Thanks ChuckS,

Same problem this weekend. KeyTV quit shortly after sundown, but my $10 Walmart un-amplified antenna worked. I'm calling Keystone directly tomorrow. I won't bore you with the details but the Dealer is zero help.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:06 PM   #16
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Bama View Post
As an experiment, yesterday I disconnected the 2 and 3 cables from the KeyTV box, leaving only the primary tv (Satellite) and the ota connected. It started the download process almost immediately. Still working today, but not going to get my hopes too high. Following your suggestions, it would make me believe that the box is bad or the diplexers on back of the wall mounts. ??
If you have ANY coax connected to cable TV connection on front of KeyTV you will get NO OTA signal from your antenna on the roof

Follow these steps to verify if 12 volts is present on center pin of OTA antenna connection with it removed from the box...

If no 12 volts box is bad. If you have 12 volts then either coax feed to OTA antenna on roof is bad, F connector bad, or antenna itself is bad

The roof mounted OTA is an “active amplified” antenna and requires 12 volts on the coax to power it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0D64583E-6C47-42BD-9C67-7E565E450250.jpeg
Views:	291
Size:	454.1 KB
ID:	24101  

Old 10-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #17
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWRiley View Post
Thanks ChuckS,

Same problem this weekend. KeyTV quit shortly after sundown, but my $10 Walmart un-amplified antenna worked. I'm calling Keystone directly tomorrow. I won't bore you with the details but the Dealer is zero help.
Keystone customer service was horrible. They do have people in the know, but they wouldn't let me talk to them. All they would do is give me names of dealers in the area.

After complaining loud and long at My dealer's management I got a call from a knowledgeable tech that basically told me KeyTV is a piece of crap. Also said replacing the module won't help because a new one will get hot and quit just like the last one.

Per his suggestion, I bypassed the KeyTV box and hooked the antenna directly to the TV. It did work better, but not as good as the $10 walmart indoor antenna I am currently using. I'm kind of surprised it worked at all, because I thought the antenna needed 12v power to work.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #18
ChuckS

Yes the OEM OTA antenna requires 12VDC for the amplifier mounted inside it on the roof to function...the DC power is passed to the antenna from the KeyTV box via the coax cable

Without DC power it’s about useless.