Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #1
towersjoe

Outside Openings for Critters

Hello, I am new to the forum and appreciate being here and any responses. I just purchased a nearly new 2018 Montana HC 331RL. When I looked at it from the seller I did not open the propane tank doors. When I got it home I was amazed that the bottom of the compartment where the landing front legs come through on both sides are almost completely open to the ground. Anybody else have any concerns as there are openings that any rodent, ants etc. can enter and that it leads to other parts of the storage area that lead to the vents in the stairs. Thank you
towersjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
tech740

I have never had an issue with critters coming in. My guess is that it is open because propane is heavier than air and that allows it to escape rather than pooling and making an explosive atmosphere. Both my fifth wheels have been open there.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
dietzldub

Edit:

I closed the bottom of that compartment in with a plastic like cardboard material, and included screened vents for plenty of ventilation. I have the 2018 Cougar 5th wheel, and I had issues with birds making nest in there all the time. Not anymore. I'll try to get some pics posted.
dietzldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:52 PM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietzldub View Post
I closed the bottom of that compartment in with a plastic like cardboard material. I have the 2018 Cougar 5th wheel, and I had issues with birds making nest in there all the time. Not anymore. I'll try to get some pics posted.
You have created a dangerous condition if you sealed the bottom of your Propane compartment!! If you have any leak in that area the propane will collect, and either enter the living quarters, or create/cause a fire/explosive condition.
If you have an issue with birds in that area, get some Hardware cloth https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...31EB/205960850 This is 1/4" screen mesh and will allow the area to vent and keep the birds out.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #5
travelin texans

It's absolutely mandatory that area be left open!
Screen, expanded metal or something very porous would be a better choice to keep critters out or get a cat, but the coroplast (plastic cardboard) MUST be removed ASAP!!!
Would NOT sleep in there til you've taken it down....You've created what could be a VERY VERY dangerous environment by closing up those compartments.
You'd be much safer with the birds!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:24 AM   #6
dietzldub

I do have screened vents placed in the bottom. There is plenty of ventilation. Sorry I didn’t mention that above, I edited my post above.
dietzldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:34 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I would remove any “solid” material that restricts or redirects air flow.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I would remove any “solid” material that restricts or redirects air flow.
Totally agree! It was left completely open for a reason.
If the vent you placed in the coroplast is not the size of the open bottom, I'd remove it ASAP!
This topic now has me concerned, actually scared, as to how many folks out there have covered this opening unknowingly thinking that they are critter proofing their rv.
Anyone reading this that may be considering this dangerous modification,
DO NOT COVER THIS OPENING!!!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

The OP does have it open, clarified above. Good for him.

For others, as stated in this thread, don't close this space in solidly! You have been warned.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:22 AM   #10
ckittila

Propane Critter Shield

I just bought a new fifth wheel and was concerned about this too. I fixed the issue with some gutter guard I bought at Home Depot. This stuff is black wire mesh and comes in 3 foot sections. The mesh is open enough to let out any seeping propane, small enough to keep out wasps and tough enough to prevent rodents.

Buy 2 sections. Take out the propane tanks. Cut the sections to fit and screw it down with self tapping screws. Replace the tanks. Your good.
ckittila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:48 AM   #11
Archergodwin

The bottoms are open because propane vapor sinks (heavier than air). If you 'look up', you'll probably also see the bare wood of your overshot, for us it's our bedroom floor. I did cut some 1.25" foam board and glued it to the top there to help insulate that area. "Great Stuff" also helps with the smaller openings, and there are a few.
Full-time in my Fuzion since 2011
USAF Vet. B-52G Crewchief.
Archergodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:21 AM   #12
Fishsizzle

Had them all in the Alpine, ants, mice.

I’m trying to find every last hole to screen and/or seal. Bought the HW some copper wool and screen to stuff in places she thinks mice get it. Keeps her busy.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:51 PM   #13
Preyou

I looked at my compartment and to seal it would be very difficult. What about sealing the top and any openings but leaving the bottom open. Is that a concern?
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #14
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preyou View Post
I looked at my compartment and to seal it would be very difficult. What about sealing the top and any openings but leaving the bottom open. Is that a concern?

That should be fine. Propane is heavier than air and will go out the bottom if it leaks.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preyou View Post
That's exactly how it "should have been done" at the factory during building your trailer. Usually on fifth wheels, there's a galvanized box lining in the propane compartment. That box is sealed with silicone (or another type sealant) at all the seams to prevent propane from "creeping into the trailer living or storage spaces". The bottom is left open so any leak will "drop to the ground and dissipate"....

If you look closely, you'll probably find that there's a bead of sealant at all the seams on the inside of your propane compartment.

I found a photo online of an Avalanche propane compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVALANCHE PROPANE COMPARTMENT.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	24177  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote