Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team

Do you have a water pressure regulator on your trailer? Maybe it's too high?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM   #12
cayovelez

Yes, brand new water pressure regulator

cayovelez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM   #13
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayovelez View Post
So I have replaced the relieve valve twice, installed a water pressure regulator, re-established air pocket 4 times this week and changed the Thermostat and still weeping a reasonable amount of water. I don't think an expansion tank would help since I am constantly connected to city water, so at least I believe since my understanding of expansion tank is to help the pump.
When you are connected to city water, there is a check valve in the city water inlet that does not allow water to reverse flow back into the hose, and that is where you are building up excess pressure which is causing the T&P valve to open and leak water. If you install an expansion tank and get it pressurized correctly, it will absorb that excess pressure and probably stop the water leak.
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM   #14
cayovelez

Thanks Bob! I will try that. It is probably going to take me a week or more to get it installed, I am in the middle of nowhere working. Thanks again, I was under the impression the expansion tank was just for the pump.

Carlos
Old Today, 05:45 AM   #15
flybouy

Just throwing this out...if you have the hwh on all day and the hot water is not being used for several hours at a time a little leaking is normal. Of course my "little bit" could be your "flood" so without a video or some other quantitative measurement then it's conjecture.
Old Today, 10:53 AM   #16
cayovelez

flybouy, Thanks did not think of that.
Old Today, 12:42 PM   #17
FlyingAroundRV

Hi Carlos:
I don't know a lot about water heaters, but I know a lot about troubleshooting.
First, you should establish exactly where the water is coming from. Is it leaking around the threads of the bypass valve or from the outlet of the valve, or maybe somewhere else entirely?
If it is coming out of the valve outlet and you have already replaced the valve then the possibilities are
1. The replacement valve was also defective (unlikely, but possible)
2. The pressure in the tank is greater than what the valve is rated for, so now you have to find out why. This usually comes from the addition of the mains pressure and the pressure caused by heat expansion of the water. According to the manual, the air gap in the tank is supposed to allow for that, so either (a) the heat expansion is too great because of too high temperature, or (b) the mains pressure is too great.

You mentioned that you have a water regulator. If it is one with a gauge, you could try setting the pressure into the trailer at a lower setting to see if this helps. The water pump in my trailer is rated at 2.5 Bar which is about 36PSI from memory. I set my regulator to about 40PSI because I had a problem with the non return valve in the pump getting jammed by the mains pressure. This is an easy path to a possible fix. If it doesn't work, it costs nothing and you move to the next possible causes.

If it's not the mains pressure causing too much expansion, then is it too much heat? As others have said, you can measure the temperature of the water coming out of the system to check that. If it's too high, then the thermostat is your culprit.
HTH

FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater