Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
FlyingAroundRV

Where is sales tax levied?

In May/June we are coming to the US to purchase a new Outback TT and a pickup to tow it with.
WRT purchasing the TV, I have read some stories of dodgy car yards charging interstate buyers the sales tax on their vehicle, but not actually paying it to the buyer's home state. This didn't become apparent until the buyer got home and had to pay the sales tax (again) to get the vehicle registered.

My question is this:

We will likely be purchasing the TV in TX, but it will be registered in MT. As most would know, many counties in MT don't charge sales tax. But where do I stand if a TX dealer comes out with "We have to charge TX sales tax"? Is it correct? Or is it a ploy to fraudulently raid my wallet as I read somewhere else?
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote