Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2019, 06:50 AM   #1
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Furrion FAN17B83 4G LTE/WiFi Router

Our coach came pre-wired for this Furrion FAN17B83 4G LTE/WiFi Router.

I'm looking for the capability to receive 4g LTE and re-transmit it. The external antenna gives 3 db gain. But reading through the specs I think it's a hotspot where I need to buy (after the first free gigabyte) a data plan. I'm pretty sure it is NOT a LTE repeater, and that's what I need.

Can someone who has experience with this device chime in?

Here is a link to the device https://furrion.com/products/router?...19198846566489
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
John F

Here is a PDF of Q&A. I ordered mine today. You don’t have to get a data plan and it does boost WiFi. Data plans are monthly, turn on an off as you like.

I loaded the pdf in the forum
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Router Questions and Answers.pdf (378.3 KB, 1747 views)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
MattHelm21

This is the model I added:
https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-4g-x-rv
It is a 4G LTE repeater. I needed it not only to boost LTE data but to also boost LTE for voice calls as well.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:15 AM   #4
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Looks like I need to re-evaluate my needs.

The LTE repeater doesn't really get a lot of good reviews - it's about 3:1. The main complaint seems to be the small radius of the internal antenna's signal. I do think some of the reviews are based on lack of cell coverage, can't boost what isn't there. As a tech product there will be reviews both for and against from those who don't know what it's really doing for them.

The hotspot will have a wide radius of service, WiFi is on a different band than LTE. That's the inherent problem with the LTE repeater.

Perhaps the Hotspot is the best route, just charge it off as a business expense and don't look back.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
MattHelm21

The LTE repeater is really only a benefit over the integrated LTE to WiFi Hotspot because you boost signal for voice calls as well. I chose to try the Weboost repeater option and I did not experience the problem of the lack of radius. I already knew I had some signal because I would bounce from LTE to through 3x to 1x on my phone. With the booste on, I had full bars LTE outside the RV with the inside antenna on the kitchen counter. The outside antenna is mounted on the ladder above where it joins to the roof.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:20 AM   #6
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Glad it's working well for you. Augmenting voice communications is an important distinction between 4g LTE repeater vs. a hotspot.

I need to printing shipping labels and manage online sales sites. So data is my concern, voice isn't.

I ordered the furrion device. Installation will have to wait until weather conditions improve. Temp is in the teens around these parts.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #7
wobly

Did anybody ever order the Furrion LTE WiFi Router, FAN17B83, https://furrion.com/products/router and the Omni-directional Rooftop Antenna, FAN73B7C, https://furrion.com/products/omnidir...ooftop-antenna to get a data connection in the RV? We have a friend that is a Real Estate agent and she wants to stay connected while camping. I have only found a few reviews on the system, but they seem to be positive on the system.

Secondary question, how hard is it to install the antenna? In theory, it doesn't look that bad, other than fishing the wiring through the ceiling.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #8
amxwll

Update please

We just purchased out Cougar 315 RLS and are picking it up tomorrow. Trying to decide about the Furrion Router. It seems like there haven't been any posts since January and I'm wondering how it's going with the Wifi booster and Router?
amxwll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #9
rczapla

To Wifi or not to Wifi, That is my question.

I just purchased a 2020 Outback 335CG with the Furrion WIFI router bracket pre-wired in. The dealership was out of stock of the router when I bought the RV. I started looking on line for them...Found them for $359 + monthly data service charges at a hi-way robbery price from Furrion. I'm wondering if the price is worth it as the price is high enough to make me re-calibrate my thinking as to why I own an RV in the first place (To disconnect from the rat-race and enjoy being away from the "noise"). I'll admit, I like being connected but, I'm starting to like the idea of being "dis-connected" a little bit more and putting that money into my gas tank..to disconnect even a little bit more. Are there any decent deals out there to be connected? (Still thinking about this)
rczapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

You have choices. Wineguard makes WiFi routers as does “WiFi ranger”. It’s a matter of what your looking for, and how much if any your willing to pay.

Furrion has been “infiltrating” the RV industry for a while now and includes appliances like stoves and ovens. We don’t sell anything with the Furrion WiFi system so I can’t speak to it, I have installed Wineguard “connect” and none of our customers have said anything bad.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #11
travelin texans

If read about any RV forum you'll find numerous posts asking about or complaining about everything with the Furrion name, appliances, electronics, backup cameras.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 03:45 PM   #12
Bj1905

Furrion FAN17B83 4G LTE/WiFi Router

Has anyone purchase this item ( Title of this Thread) and use it to get better WI-FI signal at a campground that has free WI-FI service.
Bj1905 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4g lte, wifi