Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #21
Fishsizzle

Just got a call from dealer, running to look at the fried wiring.

Will snap some pics and decide what to do. Might have to strike a deal, I don’t know. I have extended warranty on it so might see if it covers it. Uggg
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #22
TJO

Should be interesting to hear what they say.
TJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #23
ADQ K9

Good luck seems like a nightmare
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #24
Fishsizzle

So I’m not an expert by any means, but when I look at this it seems this wire was put in the wrong place.

I’m assuming that this is a “Circut breaker” and by putting the wire on the wrong side it over heated?

The wire got so hot it melted the brake breakaway. I’m also assuming this was the “feed” for the brakes?

Let me know your thoughts. Keystone denied the repair, the shop wanted to pull the whole cap, I told them to fish a wire down, pretty simple to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2B8B1DCF-A0BD-42AB-B0FB-B7F8F505704C.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	20746   Click image for larger version

Name:	470BC0EF-B80B-4D72-ADAD-155F1EBE30D2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	20747   Click image for larger version

Name:	1607A1A4-1BCB-4E60-A9D8-6ADE2A8A355C.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	20748   Click image for larger version

Name:	51C0C69E-4A4B-4B24-801A-7EA0668CED5E.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	20749  
Old 03-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #25
Snoking

Makes one think they should do what rental car dealers do now, take pictures of EVERYTHING on RV when dropping it for service. Include a picture of the service writer and RV.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #26
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
So I’m not an expert by any means, but when I look at this it seems this wire was put in the wrong place.

I’m assuming that this is a “Circut breaker” and by putting the wire on the wrong side it over heated?

The wire got so hot it melted the brake breakaway. I’m also assuming this was the “feed” for the brakes?

Let me know your thoughts. Keystone denied the repair, the shop wanted to pull the whole cap, I told them to fish a wire down, pretty simple to me.

You are right about the dealer being able to fish a wire through the bottom of the cap. What exactly did the dealer ask Keystone to approve? I’m not familiar with the brake wiring. Hopefully someone that is will chime in.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

If I remember correctly (I can't get to my trailer to verify it) the breakaway switch is wired to the "unprotected side" of the first "mini DC breaker" which is the same as the positive lead from the battery. In other words, the breakaway switch is not "fuse protected". I'm trying to find the installation instructions, but I think (not absolutely sure) but I think there's a caution in the installation instructions to not install a fuse in the circuit for "safety reasons" to assure uninterrupted power to the brakes in an emergency situation. You can download the CURT breakaway system installation instructions here: https://assets.curtmfg.com/masterlib..._52040_INS.PDF there is no fuse in the schematic which leads me to believe that the emergency braking system is not protected, but I'm still looking for a statement to that in "plain English"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #28
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
You are right about the dealer being able to fish a wire through the bottom of the cap. What exactly did the dealer ask Keystone to approve? I’m not familiar with the brake wiring. Hopefully someone that is will chime in.
When they first quoted me $1500 it was remove under cap wrap, remove under belly, replace all the brake wiring, replace all the brakes and repack bearings.

It didn’t fry wire past a junction box on the frame. What’s irritating is that they gained approval to pull underbelly to Replace rams for slides as packing was blown on both. And they got approval to replace pin box and straighten the pin box mounting as it was bent somehow. So they were going to have a bunch of it open.

I told them I’d pay to have wiring from junction box to junction box fished through and replaced. I can’t wait to fight on this.

From researching a bit, it looks like the breakaways can short out, and once the wire is toast the current stops flowing so brakes don’t fry. They took a drum off and didn’t see the brake fried or over heated. I’ll repack bearings when I get it home as it’ will be a year end of May when I bought it and we put some long trips on it
Old 03-14-2019, 01:07 AM   #29
larryflew

What others said, especially since they told you the brakes where fine. IMO the brakes can't be fine if they where on for thousands of miles. If the brakes are fine what would have melted the grease? After all they told you you should be farting smoke for a long time.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #30
ChuckS

My 2014 Alpine is wired same way..

Emergency brakes are not fused ... the intent is power available to those brake magnets and a fuse would negate that if it blew.

Can’t believe anyone would want to pull front cap to replace that wiring from junction box to battery compartment. About an hour job tops

I’d say you developed a short to ground up at the junction box that just drew current till weakest link... wire ... melted in half

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
My 2014 Alpine is wired same way..

Emergency brakes are not fused ... the intent is power available to those brake magnets and a fuse would negate that if it blew.

Can’t believe anyone would want to pull front cap to replace that wiring from junction box to battery compartment. About an hour job tops

I’d say you developed a short to ground up at the junction box that just drew current till weakest link... wire ... melted in half
Your suspicion is entirely possible. Alternatively, someone pulled the pin on the breakaway switch (accidentally or intentionally) and the weakest link, the wiring, finally melted. When the dealership found it, they put the pin back in and called with the bad news, saw an opportunity to make a bundle and ........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #32
Fishsizzle

I think that’s what I have going on, a short some how, or pin pull.

I’ll get it home and pull stuff apart and take pics for your input. Might be a few weeks.

Pin box was sent wrong. They sent the wrong ram for slides. With the nearly 3 feet of snow finally melting they are getting back to work.

Thanks all!

Justin
Old 03-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #33
Fishsizzle

I did feel super sorry for the tech. I guess both hydraulic rams were blown and the whole under belly was soaked. He took an oil bath. Said he took 2 showers.

The plast was shot, as well as all the insulation. Both are getting replaced.

The poor tech was going over what was needing to be done and the service writer girl was just getting madder and madder as he spoke. I can tell they are over charging or billing Keystone for the hours worked.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:28 PM   #34
Fishsizzle

So waiting on a new pin box and should be getting it back. Keystone sent out several wrong parts. Not sure if it was them or someone doesn’t know how to read either the catalog or numbers on parts!
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Old 04-03-2019, 08:22 PM   #35
Fishsizzle

Well, turns out keystone didn’t cover all my gripes. Kinda peeved as dealer said they did.

So I had some hinges that were bent on pantry and cabinets. I’d fixed those myself.

Entry door would shut, I ended up taking side screws out as they were eating into the jamb. I don’t think I could have fixed that so glad they did but I’m paying for it.

So the wanted $900, told them noway, we settled on $700 which includes new wiring for breakaway.

Picking up tomorrow, super curious about vinyl patch.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:24 PM   #36
Fishsizzle

Uggg, thing has zero volts. I can’t it even leveled. Hopefully an overnight charge will help.

Can’t believe no battery charge and no wash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8179D078-F390-4BA3-92B3-5ED641DC8990.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	21248  
Old 04-06-2019, 05:42 AM   #37
chuckster57
Site Team

Different dealerships and service mgrs have different ideas of “customer service”. As a rule we won’t wash a unit in for service. None of the dealerships I worked at did. Where I’m at now, if we know your coming and we’ve had it for “ a minute”, we will plug it in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:54 AM   #38
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Different dealerships and service mgrs have different ideas of “customer service”. As a rule we won’t wash a unit in for service. None of the dealerships I worked at did. Where I’m at now, if we know your coming and we’ve had it for “ a minute”, we will plug it in.
I can understand the wash, but no volts mean I couldn’t inspect any of the work done.

They forklifted it out and I had to plug the truck in to it and sit 20 mins to get just jacks the work so I could hitch up.

But really glad to have it back! Anxious to get rolling
Old 04-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

If I remember correctly, you "delivered" that trailer to the dealership around "Mid-February"??? That was 7 or 8 weeks ago. If the batteries were truly "0 volts" when you picked up the trailer, I'd urge you to watch the batteries very carefully. If they were discharged that low for that long, they may not recharge properly and/or they may not recharge at all, but rather "build a charge and discharge in 24-48 hours"... Another possibility is they may hold a charge now, but fail prematurely because of the plate damage from sitting with no charge for so long.....

There's not much you can do at this point, but "tuck away in the back of your mind" that if things start looking strange with the battery capacity or charge times, keep a close eye on them. They may have been "ruined" by sitting with no charge for almost 2 months.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-06-2019, 01:47 PM   #40
ChuckS

With the current draw your hydraulic pump motor will place on the batteries during LG or leveling plus slide out extension I’d dump those batteries and put in a dual set of Costco 6 volt batteries

You won’t have battery issues, they are cost effective , and you’ll have no issues during the season.

Also if you have residential fridge what is the condition of that battery used to run inverter. Just saying.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine