Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #1
Alaskaman

Lug-Centric balancing

Replacing my zero mile tires on my '17 Carbon 417 and would like to have them balanced.

How do I know if my wheels require this lug-centric balancing I hear about?

Tires are 235/80 R16 LRE Trailer Kings, replacing with Carlisle 235/85 R16's. Shame I can't buy them in Alaska but Amazon will ship.

I'm taking a short (350 miles) trip from Wasilla to Seward, AK this Wednesday with the China Bombs, not feeling good about that, I'll kinda tip-toe on them.

Thanks, you all bail me out a lot here!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6482.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	22306  
Alaskaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Something doesn't look right in your picture. There's a big difference in the space between the center/rear tire and the center/front tire. It could be the way it's parked, it could be a problem with a hanger or shackle....

As for buying Carlisle tires, I run them and I've been extremely satisfied with them. Your size, 235 85R16 is available in LRF (12 ply) for not a lot more than the LRE (10 ply).

According to the Carlisle website, the 10 ply is rated at 3520 lbs at 80PSI. The 12 ply is rated at 3960 lbs at 95PSI. With 6 tires on the ground, that's an additional 2640 pounds of "reserve capacity" protecting your rig through the potholes and rough roads. Something to think about if you haven't ordered tires yet.......

ADDED: I forgot to answer our question about balancing. Almost all trailer wheels are 0 degree offset and are lug centric (meaning the hub center hole doesn't force the wheel to the center of the spindle but the lugs hold the wheel at the center of the spindle.) So, yes, you'll need to find someone with the capability to balance "lug centric wheels". Many of the newer balancing machines have the capability, so ask the "balance expert" at the dealership. Chances are only one or two of the techs has ever used that component to balance wheels, so most of them won't know what you're talking about......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I agree that something doesn't look right in that pic. Might be how/where it is positioned but that EquaFlex hanger sure looks out of "kilter" compared to the other one from what I can see.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Look at the rear shackle on the front pivot, it’s flipped down.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I agree that something doesn't look right in that pic. Might be how/where it is positioned but that EquaFlex hanger sure looks out of "kilter" compared to the other one from what I can see.
That is how mine looked when I broke the rear shackle the other week, tires were close to each other on the side with the broken shackle and spread apart on the other side so I'd bet he's got a broken shackle somewhere on that side.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
Alaskaman

This TH has never been on the road, bought last fall. I did have the wheels off the ground to grease the bearings, perhaps it didn't settle correctly?

I'll hook up and drag it a little tomorrow before heading out to see if the shackles act right.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 06-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #7
travelin texans

If I were to place a bet it would be that 90%, maybe more, of rvs the wheels are not/never have been balanced by either method. I would agree lug centric balancing is a good idea & the proper method, but wouldn't fret too much if they weren't balanced at all.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaman View Post
This TH has never been on the road, bought last fall. I did have the wheels off the ground to grease the bearings, perhaps it didn't settle correctly?

I'll hook up and drag it a little tomorrow before heading out to see if the shackles act right.

Thanks for all the input!
I believe you're in Alaska??? That trailer was towed from the manufacturer to the dealership. Even if it was put on a ferry for the trip, it was towed from the manufacturer to the port. I'd guess that it was likely towed better than 4000 miles before you ever laid eyes on it at the sales lot. The condition of the tires, roads travelled, speed, tire pressure are all "unspoken use and possibly abuse" that no dealership will freely discuss. There's no telling what kind of potholes or heaves the trailer was dragged over and at what speed it was being towed "before you bought it"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #9
Alaskaman

I agree it has some dealer/delivery miles on it.

Here are a couple more photos, the shackles on the other side are in the same position/orientation. Is there any chance they're just out of whack from me messing with the Level-Up, raising tires off the ground temporarily, and they will fix themselves when towed?

Mustanger, when yours broke, was it obvious, easily seen?

If they are sprung out of whack, any idea how to "undo" it?

Man, I'm all jacked up now (no pun intended...) with a trip on the horizon.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6483.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	22313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6484.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	22314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6485.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	22315  
Old 06-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #10
mjeronimo

2nd pic right shackle is flipped down should look like the one on left. Some videos online how a shop fixed it with floor jack - it’s up to you if you want to try it or take it to a shop. Search YouTube for - Flipping Shackle Links
mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:54 PM   #11
Old Mustanger

Quote:
I agree it has some dealer/delivery miles on it.

Mustanger, when yours broke, was it obvious, easily seen?

Thanks again.
I didn't notice the broken shackle until I went to put my fastway wheelchocks between the wheels and they wouldn't fit. Hoped it broke turning into my driveway, not sure when it actually broke.
Looking at the additional pictures you added I don't think you have a broken shackle but the links to the center axle flipped on you, possibly when you had it jacked up to grease the bearings.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old 06-18-2019, 08:04 PM   #12
Alaskaman

Thanks for all the advice and insight.

Jerry, when adjusting the levelup preparing remove a wheel and to do the shackle link flip in the video jeronimo durected me to, I heard a loud pop, lowered the unit to the ground, and lo and behold the orientation was correct.

Seeing one shackle end high like mine is I thought the worst, like you suggested, broken. After the dust settled I researched the EquaFlex system and see it is oriented correctly. Here are the latest photos.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in here, you guys are life savers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6487.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	22331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6488.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	22332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6489.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	22333   Click image for larger version

Name:	331772.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	22334  
Old 06-18-2019, 09:08 PM   #13
Alaskaman

*directed...
Too late to edit/correct my fat thumb problem
Old 06-19-2019, 07:36 PM   #14
Old Mustanger

Looks good! Glad you were able to get it flipped to the correct orientation.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old 06-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #15
larryflew

Best RV forum out there IMO. Nice work guys!
Old 06-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #16
sgrol

I lift my wheels off the ground quite a bit. Just be watchful when you lower it back down and make sure the shackles are not flipped (they will try to flip at times). It is easy to knock them to the proper orientation with a hammer if you don't have much weight on them. Mine used to correct themselves as I lowered the RV but it was a loud bang when it did it. Now I watch them come down and nudge them to proper orientation as it lowers. Lot less drama. And as for balancing either balance the tires or get the centramatic balancers and not worry about it. They will correct tire and wheel out of balance as you go. http://www.centramatic.com/balancers.rhtml I use them on my dually rear wheels because the flat wheel surfaces make a good resting place for mud and throws the wheel assembly out of balance until I can clean them off. The centramatics fixed this problem.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #17
oldmanbill

Quote:
Replacing my zero mile tires on my '17 Carbon 417 and would like to have them balanced.

How do I know if my wheels require this lug-centric balancing I hear about?

Tires are 235/80 R16 LRE Trailer Kings, replacing with Carlisle 235/85 R16's. Shame I can't buy them in Alaska but Amazon will ship.

I'm taking a short (350 miles) trip from Wasilla to Seward, AK this Wednesday with the China Bombs, not feeling good about that, I'll kinda tip-toe on them.

Thanks, you all bail me out a lot here!
I do not want to start a tire war here but I do have many thousand miles experience running 16 inch tires on hotshot trucks, like 30k plus gross weight. Other than steering, balancing is a waste of time and money. Tires are not even concentric so balancing is useless unless trimmed. What is that? The tire is spun on the vehicle and cut so that it is round. I have never seen a round tire before trimmed. This is why drivers complain about not getting steering smooth, it's not the balancing.
oldmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:15 AM   #18
oldmanbill

How to determine if you have hub concentric wheels. Just look at your lug nut. If it is "acorn" tapered where it contacts the wheel, like most car wheels, it is lug centric. If it is flat like a washer as it contacts the wheel, it is hub centric.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:24 AM   #19
oldmanbill

Another tip for your trailer wheels mostly overlooked. The pop in valve stems are only good for 80 pounds or so. If running high pressure tires use the stems with a nut to hold them in. I have had several come apart, usually on a hot day loaded. Costs you a tire and damage.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #20
kjbrooks

I just have 2 axles, but the flipped shackle is normally caused by raising the trailer high enough where no tires touching the ground on at least one side. I can fix mine by keeping the jacks up in the rear, and use the front jacks to raise and lower the front. When the shackle goes back in place, prepare for a Loud Bang!
kjbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote