Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
BauerAP

Curt X5 and B&W Patriot

Well I just learned a disheartening lesson. Just drove an hour and a half one way to hopefully upgrade my Reese to a Patriot. I found a next to new one for $300 on CL and even had a buyer lined up for the Reese. The X in the Curt adapter won’t allow the sliding latches to sit flush enough to even get the pin tabs in the holes. Should I chalk it up to a loss or anyone have a suggestion? I’m almost tempted to install the set of rails I have in the garage. After playing with the hitch for a few minutes, it’s night and day from the Reese. Is the CW $59 install anything still going on and would they let me bring my own parts or would it require a purchase? I’m ready to throw the Reese in the trash after looking at the B&W.
BauerAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
CaptnJohn

I ordered a new truck that is supposed to arrive 8/3. I was in CW mid-June and asked when it would end as I need my hitch reinstalled. The parts man I’ve known for a long time told me to pay then and it would make no difference when I brought it in. He said then he expected $59 million install to end mid-July.
Rails are 1 thing but no reputable shop will install without a new bolt kit, $50-$60. Once those bolts are torqued and put under load they should not be used again.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
CaptnJohn

I had a Reese with my 1st 5er. Now on my 4th with the B&W Patriot. Going to a long bed and putting that slider in, not giving it up. Well, I might 1 day and get aB&W non-slider.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 07-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
BauerAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I ordered a new truck that is supposed to arrive 8/3. I was in CW mid-June and asked when it would end as I need my hitch reinstalled. The parts man I’ve known for a long time told me to pay then and it would make no difference when I brought it in. He said then he expected $59 million install to end mid-July.
Rails are 1 thing but no reputable shop will install without a new bolt kit, $50-$60. Once those bolts are torqued and put under load they should not be used again.
Hadn’t thought about that but after looking at some install manuals and the good old YouTube I think I might tackle installing the rails. Now I can find tons of the 10 bolt kits but none of the 4 bolt kits. I can find the brackets with the cable and no bolts or the whole kit and the rails. I’m pretty sure I have the 58425 rails. I am missing the spacers anyways so I would need to order them. Any suggestions on where to look?
BauerAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
CaptnJohn

Not really . CW is the closest dealer to me and have been great with sales and service. The rail kit includes everything if I remember correctly. I heard many are now using brackets to eliminate the need to drill the frame. I’m going to ask my parts guy friend about them. Again heard around $225 but will consider if it sounds like a good idea. Most dealers with any 5er inventory should stock what you need. A low volume dealer may have limited inventory and wish to keep it for sales of 5ers.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 07-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Why would you not order the new TV with the 5th wheel prep and get an adapter to the pucks.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote