Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
Alpine

Should Check Your Mirrors Every Now and Again!

A gentleman passed me today (fifthwheel) on Interstate 20 in Texas spraying rubber all over the road. Doing no less than 75 mph, the flapping sound was extremely loud as he passed. I flashed my brights at least 30 times before he disappeared in the distance. I very much expected to see him shortly thinking his other tire would give-out or he would notice. I checked the mileage.... and he made it 50 miles before I snapped a photo of him changing the tire. That other tire held up saving him from worse matters! Hope the damage was not too severe. I would have liked to pull over to help, but did not want to compound issues with such a narrow emergency lane.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:51 AM   #2
gkainz

I pull our 5th wheel like I was flying on instruments. My scan is pretty regular between road, left mirror, gauges, road, right mirror. My wife keeps asking me “what’s wrong? Why do you keep looking over there?” And I tell her “nothing’s wrong and I want it to stay that way”.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:14 AM   #3
Dave W

Not unusual in my opinion that many people are numb to what's behind them in the matter of trailer towing. Most do not have a TPMS, many don't have decent or even extended mirrors. Then there are those folks that don't have a 'feel' for the handling characteristics. Every time I have someone pass me at near warp speed (my speed is 65-70 depending on the road), I think to myself, "Did he replace those China Bombs before driving that fast?"
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
CWtheMan

Running at highway speeds I always use cruise control. Even on the flat and level the RPMs will increase when you lose a tire. My diesel just adjusted and kept on going the same speed.

That's from experience.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote