Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
strongermel

1st timer just bought a 2019 25 TH!!

We will be pulling our new TH with our Toyota Tundra 5.7. Anyone have any experience? We don't want to overload it on our first trip. Trailer weight is 6100 dry and we won't be filling up the tank till we arrive. Truck has a 9800 lb tow capacity. I'm hoping we will do just fine. Please let this newbie know!! Also I don't know all the lingo yet so it's been difficult to read some of the posts.. hopefully you can teach me forum/RV language too!! Thanks can't wait to hear from Ya'll!!
strongermel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:56 AM   #2
nied

Try the spreadsheet at this location.
http://www.popthetop.com/files/Towin...yWorksheet.xls
nied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:00 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome, this is a great place to learn. We might as well get started.

What kind of hitch do you have for your trailer? Weight Distributing Hitch = WDH

Forget about two things: 1. Dry weights. They are not relevant to towing. You want to look at gvw Gross Vehicle Weight of the tow vehicle TV and the camper. Also the gcvw Gross Combined Vehicle Weight. This is the max you can tow. Stay below these numbers. Also look at your payload for your truck on the weight stickers on YOUR truck, usually on the drivers side door post. This is the max your truck can carry including hitch and tongue weight, passengers, gas, luggage, doggies, etc.
2. IGNORE the brochures and other advertising in determining your tow and payload amounts. They are not real world and also not relevant.

Some on here will say you can't, some will say you shouldn't, some will say go for it, as far as towing with your rig. The only one who can really ascertain that will be you. Here is a video to get you started in making a real world determination on your setup.
https://rvacademy.com/my-class/match...ks-to-trailers

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongermel View Post
We will be pulling our new TH with our Toyota Tundra 5.7. Anyone have any experience? We don't want to overload it on our first trip. Trailer weight is 6100 dry and we won't be filling up the tank till we arrive. Truck has a 9800 lb tow capacity. I'm hoping we will do just fine. Please let this newbie know!! Also I don't know all the lingo yet so it's been difficult to read some of the posts.. hopefully you can teach me forum/RV language too!! Thanks can't wait to hear from Ya'll!!

It's good to be asking the questions but preferable to ask before you have all the equipment purchased. The Hideout 25th is a 9700lb. gvw trailer. The Tundra is at best a 1/2 ton pickup if newer, or not so much so if older. That is just my observation from looking at them, driving them and my brother using one to tow an RV (newer model). What year is your truck? Numbers from door sticker? Options on truck?

Since you have the TV (tow vehicle) and TT (travel trailer/bumper pull) you are in a box. You will HAVE to make them work or buy a different trailer/truck. You will be as I, and many others, have been in the past selecting what items and how much you have to leave behind on every trip because you will be overweight - what you can "do without" on any given trip. That's not fun with 2 old retired folks, can't imagine it with kids.

Get the very best WDH (weight distribution hitch) with built in sway (not attachable bars on the side) you can afford but nothing any less than an Equalizer 4 point. You have to have a brake controller; don't know if Toyota offers one on their new trucks. GVW/payload of the truck will probably get you. If the max tow is only 9800llbs. I'm worried about what the other numbers are.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #5
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongermel View Post
Trailer weight is 6100 dry and we won't be filling up the tank till we arrive. Truck has a 9800 lb tow capacity.
Tow (pull) capacity is the figure the dealer loves to quote, because there's always lots of headroom in it, but in general its not the figure that gives you problems. (Yeah, they got me with it.)

Carry (payload) capacity is where you run into problems. When you add up the truck passengers, dogs, and cargo, then add it to the tongue weight, you find you're overloading the hitch or the rear axle.

I used the calculator at http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml, got the bad news on my half-ton, and ended up trading it in for a 3/4 ton. You'll have to collect data from the labels on your trailer, your truck doorframe, under the hitch, and in the manual. It's about as involved as doing your taxes, but you'll end up understanding the process much better.