Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
JulieLeah15

Full timing and black tank issies

I’m relatively new to full timing and I love it so far! I’ve run into a little hiccup. My black tank seems to be only draining the liquid, not the solid matter unless it is flushed out. I’ve been using the Scott RV toilet paper only. Any suggestions to fix this? Flushing the tank once a week is a little bit of a pain. The tank is closed unless I’m draining it.
JulieLeah15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
KeithInUpstateNY

Congratulations on becoming a full timer!

You may balk at this suggestion, but don't put any kind of toilet tissue in the holding tank. I've boondockwd five months of the year for the last three years. The best decision I've made in regard to maintaining the black tank was to quit flushing toilet tissue. I have a one pound yogurt container with a solid lid that is lined with a dollar store diaper disposal bag. Toilet tissue goes in the container. When the bag is full I remove it, tie it off, and it goes in the garbage and the garbage goes out. Your own waste will dissolve in about 24 hours, especially if you put 2 ounces of TSP in the tank after you have emptied it. Always start with about five gallons of water in the tank so solids have something to dissolve into and are not landing on the bottom of the tank.

Good luck finding a solution that works for you.

Keith

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Julie - we don't full time but we do spend 5 months at a time in the RV. As was mentioned, always put water in the tank when you dump before you start using it. When using it always run PLENTY of water to make sure all solids have lots of water to support and transport them out of the drain. We've not found that the TP makes a huge difference if you have plenty of water - they don't have time to really break down in 3-4 days. We also put tank deodorant in along with a couple of healthy squirts of Dawn dishwashing liquid to "smooth" things up for draining. Dumping every week can be a pain; we dump the morning of every 4th day (I don't like navy showers) so we are used to it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #4
shermris

One thing that seems to make a difference is how fast your tank drains. If it drains too slow some solids may settle before being washed out with the flow. The sewer hose support systems seem to help maintain a higher flow until the tank is empty, other wise you'll end up lifting the hose several times to get it to drain completely. Many black water tanks also have a flush water fitting on the opposite side of the drains, use it in addition to the gray water flush. It doesn't hurt to use extra tank treatment, this helps break down any solids. I love having a bathroom in my RV but use a public toilet for solids when available.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieLeah15 View Post
I’m relatively new to full timing and I love it so far! I’ve run into a little hiccup. My black tank seems to be only draining the liquid, not the solid matter unless it is flushed out. I’ve been using the Scott RV toilet paper only. Any suggestions to fix this? Flushing the tank once a week is a little bit of a pain. The tank is closed unless I’m draining it.
Are you sure only liquid waste is being drained? It is very possible that the solids have broken down enough that what appears to be only liquid is actually everything liquified. Like was said, be sure to run plenty of water each flush, and yes, draining the black tank can be a nuisance, but that is part of the deal, and flushing the black tank just keeps things working. There are some very good tank additives that can increase the speed the waste breaks down, and we use TankTechsRx, but there are others that others swear by.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
roadglide

My friend where traveling with now he got the dreaded pyrdment in his holding tank it took a week to brake it loose . He now users a lot of water and dumps a lot less often ane we neither put paper into the tank . We use a lot of Wal-Mart bags. I also put a velve at the drain end and back flush with grey water .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:08 PM   #7
travelin texans

We've fulltimed for 10 years & NEVER had black tank issues, even flushing toilet paper. We can go 5 to 7 days before dumping & always rinse thru the black flush connection til it runs fairly clear. The key is to use plenty of water, so called tank treatments don't stay in the tanks long enough to break down solids completely.
I'm sorry Keith, but the day I start collecting used toilet paper in a yogurt tub rather than flush it down the toilet is the day I'm done rving. Draining/flushing the black tank is the worst part of rving, but I'd have to say not flushing the tp & dealing with it in a tub has to be way more disgusting to me.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #8
ChrisM

I've had no issues flushing Scott rv tp in 4 years full timing using ample water and frequent flushing of the black tank. I have read before where some foreign object has gotten in the tank during construction and can block the outlet partially or fully. Is it possible an object got flushed without your knowledge? Is it a direct handle to waste gate or a remote handle with cable in between? Could the cable be causing the gate not to open fully?
Old 10-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #9
Canonman

"only draining the liquid, not the solid matter unless it is flushed out."

It was explained to me early in our RV life that the secret to properly maintaining the black tank is to treat it like you do the bowl. Lots of water to rinse everything down. In other words you have to flush out the tank.
When we dump the black tank we first fill it with water via the internal tank rinser. If your trailer isn't equipped with this feature then just fill the tank by holding the flush pedal down until the tank is full. When you open the dump valve you'll be flushing the tank just like when you flush the bowl. I usually do this a couple times to be sure the tank is as clean as possible.
Yes, it's a bit of a pain, but the alternative is worse. Even the city has to flush out the sewer system every so often for the same reason. Solids will build up and harden if you don't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3622 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	19030  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:14 PM   #10
mikz86ta

We full time too. I used Scott RV but found Cottonelle is softer on the booty and dissolves faster. Why pay more for a gimmick. Look for any Septic Safe logo on TP. There's a few YouTube demo videos on trying out different brands of TP and their dissolve rates.
Ours I seldom see solid paper or solid chunks of poop come out. I have a clear elbow for viewing pleasure....lol. Unless of course the toilet was just used before the dump ceremony. Most poop will start to break down as will the paper fairly fast. Test yourself like they do on the YouTube videos to see.
I also do the Geo Method. Google it. It's just a alternative to the store bought additives. Basically a water softener which will aid in the water flowing out and break down of solids....the way I read it. A detergent to clean and freshen it. I use Borax and we'll. It makes the water super slippery and cleans well also.
I tried the different additives like the TSP stuff. Didn't see much difference from using them as. not using them. Saw better performance from the Geo Method. And of course I try to do the Black Flush system that came on the RV once a month.

Hope this helps
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #11
Alpine

Been fulltime for about 5.5 years.... We have always used Angel Soft TP and rarely see TP when flushing the black tank, or any solids for that matter! Oh- an occasional kernel of corn!!!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:14 AM   #12
travelin texans

In 10 years of fulltiming the DW has tried about every brand of septic safe tp on the market & when watching it drain I haven't been able to tell that a bit of difference in any brand from that end of the process. Have never had an issue & use the black tank flush every time I dump, plus I have a water softener for the 5er & add healthy squirt of Dawn soap (or a dollar store dish or laundry soap) with a couple gallons to the tank after dumping.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-24-2018, 05:36 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Personally, if your going to "save" your used tp why don't you just go in the woods and do your thing? Never had an issue using Scott brand tp in over 40 years of using the head in boats then in rv's.

Water is your friend, the more the better before draining the tank. I'm fortunate enough to have a outside to door to our bathroom. I close the door from the bathroom to the interior and leave the outside door open. Roof vent in bathroom is opened all the way but fan is off to prevent drawing fumes from toilet. The toilet has a foot flush so when I'm ready to dump I flush the toilet until the tank is nearly full. Then I take the step platform we use for that set of steps and set one corner on the foot flush. It's heavy enough to open the toilet valve and run water in. On ours, the outdoor kitchen sink empties into blank tank as well. I turn on both hot and cold water and let it run. Walk around and open black tank drain and watch the clear 45 and let it run until the water runs clear (well, clear for a black water tank). Point is, PLENTY of water = no clogs. I also use black tank deodorant and a squirt of Dawn after dumping wile adding a few gallons of water (enough to cover the bottom of the tank looking thru the toilet with a flashlight). YMMV
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #14
duker

3791 RL Montana owner, so the black flush is just hook the hose up and turn water on?
What is the tank fill power fresh valve for?
Thanks, duker
duker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

They are two different systems. The black tank flush is to rinse out the "poo tank" and the fresh fill valve is to add fresh water to your drinking water tank.... Don't use the same hose and don't "mix them up".... YIKES !!!!!

Oh, and don't leave the valve on the black tank closed and turn on the black tank flush (unless you're "anally attentive" about watching it) If you "turn it on and forget, you stand a great chance of rupturing your black tank and flooding your underbelly with "poo" or, if the tank holds, possibly flooding the inside of the trailer, if the tank contents backflow through the toilet flush valve and overflow inside..... PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU"RE DOING or you could make a "crappy mess".......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:15 AM   #16
notanlines

I could not agree with Danny (Traveling Texan) more. Saving the TP in a yogurt container is NOT the way to go through life. Your TP breaks down faster than the waste. Scott is our brand of choice, simply because it is always available and it has a comfortable texture.
Use lots of water, dump every fourth day, and use the rinse every second or third dump.
A yogurt container?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:17 AM   #17
jsmith948

I'm all for recycling...but saving used TP? Is there a recycle market for this? Relative of mine says they save the used TP until the container is full and then burn it in the campfire! One would have to wonder what THAT might do for the CG ambiance?...not to mention the flavor of the hot dogs?
Geesh!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:04 AM   #18
travelin texans

Saving used to is absolutely gross, burning it in a camp fire is down right sickening. I HOPE I NEVER park next to that person!!!
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-31-2018, 05:52 AM   #19
Fishsizzle

Off topic, but a question to those who boondock, is there a “service” that will come out and collect waste water? IE pumper Truck? Also another potable water truck to come out and fill you up?
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:16 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Off topic, but a question to those who boondock, is there a “service” that will come out and collect waste water? IE pumper Truck? Also another potable water truck to come out and fill you up?
EVERY campground and EVERY location have different services available. Many 'full time campgrounds" in cold weather states have "pump out services" available. Some do not. I've never heard of or seen a "dry camping only area" in any state forest or state park campground" that provides that service. I know that you'll not find "comprehensive waste fluid support" as a matter of fact upon which you could depend. Just because one campground in Arizona has a contract with a "pump out service" doesn't mean that all the campgrounds in Michigan's State Park system will provide that same service.

It depends more on whether the contractor can make enough money to justify the cost of equipment and "turn a profit". In some areas, maybe he can, in some areas, maybe he can't, in some areas, he'll "clean up" (pun intended) and in some areas, no way he'd ever get a return on his investment.

Short answer: Every campground and every camping region will be different based on supply and demand, local regulations and availability of contractors who can offer the service.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank