Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
RWRiley

Mountain Directory

Does anyone use this ?

https://www.mountaindirectory.com/

Getting ready to head west maybe 2020 or 2021, and I have no knowledge about the routes. Would like to be informed about the best and safest way to get to where i want to go.

Rich
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
travelin texans

Go to your local truck stop & purchase a Motor Carriers Atlas. In the front it has listings of load rated bridges, low clearances, along with other info & map is highlighted for truck routes, if they can go so can you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:42 AM   #3
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Go to your local truck stop & purchase a Motor Carriers Atlas. In the front it has listings of load rated bridges, low clearances, along with other info & map is highlighted for truck routes, if they can go so can you.
I never hear of this!
Just now went to Amazon and ordered a copy.
Having twice had to back up and turn around because of low bridges this book could sooth my nerves.
Thanks.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
I never hear of this!
Just now went to Amazon and ordered a copy.
Having twice had to back up and turn around because of low bridges this book could sooth my nerves.
Thanks.
Just curious! With your Passport TT where on earth did you come to a bridge too low for that?? Your RV has to be no more than 10' & change tall and it wouldn't fit????? You must have been way off the beaten path, if so there's no map that will be of at much help.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-29-2019, 09:18 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Just curious! With your Passport TT where on earth did you come to a bridge too low for that?? Your RV has to be no more than 10' & change tall and it wouldn't fit????? You must have been way off the beaten path, if so there's no map that will be of at much help.

I don't know about his Passport but my trailer is about 11' 3". I've not had to back up anywhere yet but I have encountered some low bridges that I would not have fit under (non towing) on back country roads....even on some TX SR/FM roads - I try to avoid that situation (hopefully) on any trip we plan.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't know about his Passport but my trailer is about 11' 3". I've not had to back up anywhere yet but I have encountered some low bridges that I would not have fit under (non towing) on back country roads....even on some TX SR/FM roads - I try to avoid that situation (hopefully) on any trip we plan.
Yours is a 5th wheel? Most TTs are shorter! On Texas SR, FM & oilfield lease roads I've traveled there's been narrow load restricted bridges, but never seen any that most TTs wouldn't fit under, your & my 5ers would be a different story.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I may be mistaken on how low those overpasses were because I just did a quick search on the txdmv site for low bridges and the lowest ones I see are about 13'. The ones I am thinking of were in the 11' or so range I think. The last one was somewhere outside Brownwood TX that I whistled under but commented someone would have problems because the sign on the bridge over the road read 11' xx. It was a very old bridge. I was not towing. Maybe I was dreaming, my eyesight failed me...or, my memory just thinks up what it wants to.... I have seen other 11-12' signs I'm sure in my travels (I think??)but that's the only one that comes readily to mind.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:15 PM   #8
linux3

Quote:
I need 10.5' but I don't really trust that.
In Springfield MO I came upon a railroad bridge that said 10'.
In Zanesville OH main street turned into a RR bridge that said it was 9' even.

We like having a small TT because we can go almost anywhere, I've parallel parked on Main street Knoxville TN.
We are travelers and like exploring. That gets us in some odd places.
Oh, forgot on the road to Sweet P's BBQ in Knoxville is a low bridge.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #9
Cbrez

Quote:
Great thing about this atlas is that it highlights truck routes. We are 13’ - 6” tall, so we stick to the truck routes as much as possible.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #10
RWRiley

I will give the Atlas a try. In addition to height, I want to know about descent angles. We want to get to some national parks out west - so I'm thinking there might be some pretty steep and long descents. I want to avoid anything really crazy.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote