Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #21
capnttom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Figured it was CW or HW. We bought ours there as well. Had some service done there but most at League City since it is closer.

They cleaned house at the League City store service department. Sounds like they may have at Katy as well, assuming that is where you bought.

We bought ours at the Katy location. Haven't tried the service org yet. If push comes to shove, I may have to make a trip to the factory in Indiana. Time will tell.

I had such a terrible experience with my last RV, a Class B MH, but it taught me a lot. Terrible dealer, manufacturer was just ok, but lots of quality issues. Most of these I fixed myself. It took about 6 weeks to get an appointment with the dealer for those issues that I couldn't resolve, then it took 2 months to fix. After 2 1/2 years of working bugs out we finally had enough and sold it, at a significant loss. Enough was enough.

This is why we decided to buy a towable. I can get my Ram fixed just about anywhere and don't have to worry about finding a Mercedes Sprinter dealer that could be 200+ miles away. And yes it happened. We were stranded 4 times because of Mercedes issues in 2 1/2 years!

The Alpine/Ram combination has to be better or I will just cry!

Tom & Cathy
2017 Alpine 3401RS
2016 Ram 2500 CTD w/airbags
capnttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #22
capnttom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
How do u like the 2017? The ac and heat work good? I think its the same 30k eith a heat pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry don't know yet, as we just picked it up a couple of days ago.

Tom & Cathy
2017 Alpine 3401RS
Old 02-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #23
brad2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnttom View Post
Sorry don't know yet, as we just picked it up a couple of days ago.

Tom & Cathy
2017 Alpine 3401RS

Gotcha.

brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:50 PM   #24
brad2388

Welp we pulled the trigger on a 2017 3536re today. Very excited to get into it!!

Old 02-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #25
carwheel_09

I had nothing but hell dealing with Holiday World of Katy on my 2014 Montana. Never again they may have cleaned house in service but it starts at the top.

carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:26 AM   #26
bsmith0404

Quote:
Welp we pulled the trigger on a 2017 3536re today. Very excited to get into it!!

Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure you will love it!

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #27
capnttom

Quote:
How do u like the 2017? The ac and heat work good? I think its the same 30k eith a heat pump.

Hey Brad - sorry I missed this. Jury is still out. I've only had her out on a quick 1 night shakedown cruise so far. It wasn't cold enough for the HP. The A/C seems ok, but hasn't had the true test. It was about 86deg out. Still ran both units to keep her cool.

The overhead fan in the living area doesn't seem to do much. Couldn't feel any breeze from it. And yes it was rotating in the correct direction.

Tom & Cathy
2017 Alpine 3401RS
Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #28
brad2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnttom View Post
Hey Brad - sorry I missed this. Jury is still out. I've only had her out on a quick 1 night shakedown cruise so far. It wasn't cold enough for the HP. The A/C seems ok, but hasn't had the true test. It was about 86deg out. Still ran both units to keep her cool.

The overhead fan in the living area doesn't seem to do much. Couldn't feel any breeze from it. And yes it was rotating in the correct direction.

Tom & Cathy
2017 Alpine 3401RS

Thats cool! We bought the 3536re and love it!

We have stayed in it twice so far. The first time it got down to 24 and we were warm with the heat pump and two electric heaters.

The second trip was warmer and it only got down to 40ish all three nights and the heatpump was all that ran and was warm as well.

Time will tell with the ac units but they seem to have alot of flow. Hopefully its enough!

Keep use posted

Old 03-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #29
Pull Toy

+1 for Brent.

All heat pumps lose efficiency at around 35 degrees. If your already warm. the fireplace will hold you over.

2013 Alpine 3535RE

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:25 PM   #30
brad2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
+1 for Brent.

All heat pumps lose efficiency at around 35 degrees. If your already warm. the fireplace will hold you over.

2013 Alpine 3535RE

Good Luck,

I do wish i could run my furnace while in hp mode. That way i dont have to wait until the unit cools down then switches over to furnace.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #31
capnttom

Quote:
Thats cool! We bought the 3536re and love it!

We have stayed in it twice so far. The first time it got down to 24 and we were warm with the heat pump and two electric heaters.

The second trip was warmer and it only got down to 40ish all three nights and the heatpump was all that ran and was warm as well.

Time will tell with the ac units but they seem to have alot of flow. Hopefully its enough!

Keep use posted

I'm in Texas, so the A/C units will be tested in the summertime! Will let you know how it goes.

Tom & Cathy
2017 Alpine 3401RS
Old 03-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #32
nesparky

Nice here Good things about the Alpine. I have an Avalanche, the little brother to the Alpine. Pretty much the same floor plans just not all the fancy goodies. Lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
nesparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:38 PM   #33
Wmeili

Alpine

I am hoping our new alpine is a quality unit. Will be taking it off the lot next weekend. Had a real agonizing time deciding between the 3500 rl which we bought or the Montana 3650 rl. Liked both trailers a lot and they both seem to be quality units. Trading up from a Jayco eagle 345 bhs no more bunks wooo hooo😏. One question I have with the in - command can one turn on the hot water tank manually I know you can do slides and awnings manually at the board in the pass through
Wmeili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:41 PM   #34
Wmeili

Whoops meant 3560 rl Montana
Old 04-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #35
Tbos

Our Alpine 3651RL is being built as I write this. The rep sent pictures yesterday of the frame with flooring installed. I asked a lot of questions and looked at a lot of information before we made the final decision. I’m with you in hoping it’s a quality unit when we get it.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #36
Wmeili

Alpine

I will put up a post after we pick it up. Kinda have a bit of the new trailer worries but we did buy an extended warranty. And I don’t mind repairing small issues. At the same time I’m very excited to stay in it for the first time.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #37
RV Driver Ed

Hello, Was your check list something you made up or on internet?

2013 F150 Crew Cab, to go shopping and site seeing for now, how do you start one of those go fund me pages? #Ed's New Truck, Ha, Ha.
RV Driver Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #38
Stanbro

Very disappointed with new Alpine

We just purchased a 2018 Alpine 3400RS. We custom ordered it as we wanted full body paint, a generator, and dual-pane windows.

This is my fifth RV so I am no stranger to the issues one encounters with a new RV. Unfortunately this one has a remarkable number of problems and I am very disappointed with the quantity of them and the seriousness of a few:

1) The TPO roof membrane has numerous sharp objects under it that will eventually protrude through it (staples, screws, wood chips, etc.). It appears that the roof was not cleaned before the membrane was stretched over the decking material. I towed the trailer to the Keystone factor in Indiana (2000 miles) and showed the roof to the Customer Support Manager. I was told Keystone will do nothing about it. If it leaks within the warranty period, they will evaluate it then. Which means what -- patches where the objects poke through? - UGH! I wanted them to install a new roof at the factory. After being told by the Customer Support Manager that this was considered "acceptable build quality" I was furious.

OK, your first question is -- Why did you accept the trailer if this is so bad? The answer is -- the day I purchased the unit, the air temp was about 60 and the sky was cloudy. The debris did not appear until the sun came out two days later and the roof membrane got hot and relax enough to conform to the junk under it.

2) The power for the emergency breakaway circuit was wired without a fuse or circuit breaker and the hot wire of the breakaway switch was installed such that it chafed between the front cap and the pin box. It eventually shorted to the pin box which is chassis ground. That wire got extremely hot and melted all of the insulation on that wire, melted the split-loom tubing it was routed in, and melted against the other wires in the loom. It was a #16 wire, wired directly from the battery to the hot side of the breakaway switch. The current draw on that circuit is over 15A. A #16 wire is too small for that current and that it was wired with no over-current protection is unbelievable. Why it did not burn up all the wires in that loom, or the entire trailer when it shorted to the chassis is a mystery. Built to RVIA standards? I think not. I filed a formal complaint with the NHTSA and RVIA as I am concerned other units have been built the same way and there is a high potential for a vehicle fire.

3) The hydraulic "extend" line to the front jacks split and I was not able to put the trailer back onto the truck until I got a new hose assembly built at a local auto parts store.

4) The light fixture over the kitchen island lost pieces of its hardware due to vibration and the pieces got under the driver-side slide during transit from the factory to the dealer. When the slide went in and out a few times after taking delivery, the pieces trapped under the slide damaged the vinyl flooring. I don't see that getting fixed as it is sheet material.

5) The bathroom shower has a chip in the gel coat on the floor so that black color from the underlying fiberglass is showing. I don't know if a workman dropped a tool on it or if it is a manufacturing defect. Either way, I was allowed to leave the factory with the chip in it. QA? I missed this during the PDI.

6) Two of the ceiling fan blades broke off on the trip home from the Keystone factory, apparently due to road shock.

7) The rear screws of the drawer slides that support the kitchen drawers were only 3/8" long and screwed into soft pine. They pulled out of the pine and the drawers were dangling from just the front screws when I opened them. Of course, this only occurred after I was down the road and had opened them a few times.

8) The passenger-side slide is leaving large patches, several feet long, of black marks on the vinyl floor that I scrub away only to have reappear the next time the trailer goes down the road. It seems there is black material on the underside of the slide's leading edge that is rubbing off on the floor due to vibration during travel.

In summary, this unit is NOT up to the quality I expected from a so-called luxury brand. That they did such a poor job on the roof is infuriating. That it is considered "acceptable build quality" is a statement about Keystone's attitude toward quality control and should be a warning to potential buyers.

I purchased this Alpine due to the positive things I read about the Alpine brand and Keystone products of this forum. To say that I am disappointed is an understatement.
Stanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #39
Tbos

As of this point I haven’t noticed any big items on my new Alpine 3651. I am watching a couple items in particular some screws in the top of the main slide under the eternabond tape to see if they run through. I’m going to check the breakaway wiring to make sure it’s not an issue. A couple pieces of trim in the bathroom are looser than I like but I’m going to fix them.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, montana