Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2022, 03:36 PM   #1
Javi

Report on Starlink RV

Got to the campground about an hour before the storms hit so I had just enough time to level, hook up the water, put out the slides and deploy Dishy on the ground.

About the time I got back in the trailer the winds hit and the bottom fell out.

Put the new Firestick 4K in the TV and started the setup 👌

Everything works, Dishy never lost connection and even through the storm I never saw less than 36 down and 24 up.

Right now even though we're not in a service area I'm getting 55 down and 24 up.

Despite the naysayers I think this is going to be a lot better than any phone hotshot.

I'm thinking that once I get the router inside the trailer and not sitting on my toolbox in the basement and the Dishy on the ladder mount above the trailer it will be even better.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 03:46 PM   #2
vampress_me

I’m glad to see you like it too. We really like ours. It worked great out west boondocking in the mountains. When we used the gen to charge batteries, we would hook up the SL to check messages since I had to work at least a little. And, in our seasonal campground there is no cell service since it’s in a little, fairly deep valley. SL works wonderful there too, as long as we avoid a majority of the trees.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:17 PM   #3
gearhead

I hadn’t had the DISH 2 years, but I hate it.
I’ll be looking at Starlink.
That was a pretty strong storm even though it weakened as it moved south. Woke me up about midnight.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:26 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Just thinking out loud for a minute....

Is there a VOIP capability with Starlink? If so, it may well replace cell phone voice communication and if there's a means to connect a cell phone to the internet via Starlink, it may also work for Cell text, voice functions as well as internet based functions.

It may well be the answer we're all looking for to replace pretty much all cell phone based services as well as internet based services while camping/traveling.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:34 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks for the followup Javi. My concern was their little coverage map showing the S/SE having what appeared to be questionable service. This sounds very appealing. A few days ago spent a night in an out of the way place in the FL panhandle and saw one of the "dishie" things sitting outside a Class A so guess it was working OK.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 06:28 PM   #6
jasin1

i saw the other day they are starting data caps…not sure if thats a problem for most casual users https://www.pcmag.com/news/starlink-...ertised-speeds
Old 11-05-2022, 06:36 PM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
i saw the other day they are starting data caps…not sure if thats a problem for most casual users https://www.pcmag.com/news/starlink-...ertised-speeds
Non-issue for those of us that are on Starlink RV.

And I can't conceive of a situation where we would exceed 1 TB per month.....
Old 11-05-2022, 06:41 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

yeah i’ve never figured out how much data i use a month while streaming but i can’t imagine i’d use that much.

i’m interested in it
Old 11-05-2022, 06:42 PM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Is there a VOIP capability with Starlink? If so, it may well replace cell phone voice communication and if there's a means to connect a cell phone to the internet via Starlink, it may also work for Cell text, voice functions as well as internet based functions.

It may well be the answer we're all looking for to replace pretty much all cell phone based services as well as internet based services while camping/traveling.
looks like t-mobile will connect
https://techcrunch.com/2022/08/25/t-...ing-next-year/
Old 11-06-2022, 02:11 AM   #10
RickV

In the 4 years that we have been traveling out of our home area only once have we been in a place that we didn't get good enough Verizon cell service to stream. That was in Palo Duro Canyon in Texas. I have a MiFi with 150GB a month that costs me $60 a month, our two cellphones each have 50GB of hotspot. Here at home we have Verizon Home LTE unlimited internet and average 50mps down and 6mps up costs me $25 a month. I had installed a booster system in the house because signal was poor inside because of a metal roof and hardiplank walls. While we were gone this year they put a tower up less than a half mile away from the house so now the booster is not necessary. I plan to get an omni-directional antenna and put the booster in the 5ver. Before we left NC we signed a contract on around an acre piece of property in the mountains between Sylva and Franklin that has a well, power and septic and is RV accessible. We will be spending our escape the Florida heat months there. Cell signal is good there so we should be fine with our lowly cell data. I just can't justify the upfront equipment and monthly costs of Starlink.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:58 AM   #11
wjg315

We have used ours all the way from Kansas to our current location, Savannah. It has worked great. We haven't been anywhere it wouldn't work. I usually get anywhere from 50 download to almost 200. It was even partially blocked by a tree once and although it said it was partially obstructed and we could expect a delay every 2-3 minutes, we never noticed. I have it mounted on the ladder with a flag pole from flagpole buddy. I run the cable around the slide out seal. Easy to setup and use.
wjg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 05:00 AM   #12
NH_Bulldog

Quote:

At home we use everything over a landline fiberoptic internet connection; wife and I both use it for work, phone, tv, connected home, our daughter uses her computer for school, etc. Everything is 100% internet based. Our data usage per month ranges from 500 GB to 750 GB per month. I can’t see hitting 1 TB in any month while in the RV.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 07:10 AM   #13
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
In the 4 years that we have been traveling out of our home area only once have we been in a place that we didn't get good enough Verizon cell service to stream. That was in Palo Duro Canyon in Texas. I have a MiFi with 150GB a month that costs me $60 a month, our two cellphones each have 50GB of hotspot. Here at home we have Verizon Home LTE unlimited internet and average 50mps down and 6mps up costs me $25 a month. I had installed a booster system in the house because signal was poor inside because of a metal roof and hardiplank walls. While we were gone this year they put a tower up less than a half mile away from the house so now the booster is not necessary. I plan to get an omni-directional antenna and put the booster in the 5ver. Before we left NC we signed a contract on around an acre piece of property in the mountains between Sylva and Franklin that has a well, power and septic and is RV accessible. We will be spending our escape the Florida heat months there. Cell signal is good there so we should be fine with our lowly cell data. I just can't justify the upfront equipment and monthly costs of Starlink.
At the sticks and bricks we have cable internet and run between 350 and 400 down and 25 up. But the places we camp are usually cell dead zones or very limited cell. The Winegard 360 was better than nothing but the Starlink is a looking mighty good in comparison.

I just sent a 10 gig Solid Edge design file and the associated Laser program to my production team leader and it wasn't any noticeable speed difference than from home.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:32 AM   #14
foldbak

In the end it all comes down to cost and usage. Our rig goes out a minimum of 12 times a year. Our trips are all Nor Cal coast and mountains so not to rural. The rig is usually on it's pad in November thru January at which time we suspend the the RV internet service. With the cost of DTV, Comcast internet and all of the streaming services for the home we have to watch our budget. Eventually (when I retire) I'd like to find an alternative and combine home and RV. Currently we're using the Winegard 360 combined with the Winegard 1000 gateway and a 100mb for $50 per month Verizon plan and it's working great. I really like being connected to my internet while traveling. No GPS or cell data loss. When the cost of Starlink becomes more affordable I'll look at changing. I'll need a second job to pay for the all the dam streaming services

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:03 AM   #15
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
In the end it all comes down to cost and usage. Our rig goes out a minimum of 12 times a year. Our trips are all Nor Cal coast and mountains so not to rural. The rig is usually on it's pad in November thru January at which time we suspend the the RV internet service. With the cost of DTV, Comcast internet and all of the streaming services for the home we have to watch our budget. Eventually (when I retire) I'd like to find an alternative and combine home and RV. Currently we're using the Winegard 360 combined with the Winegard 1000 gateway and a 100mb for $50 per month Verizon plan and it's working great. I really like being connected to my internet while traveling. No GPS or cell data loss. When the cost of Starlink becomes more affordable I'll look at changing. I'll need a second job to pay for the all the dam streaming services
Ain't that the truth, we cut the cord a couple of years ago and went to Hulu Live but we rarely watch programs Live, and Hulu doesn't travel well so we're playing with Sling and YouTube TV so far YouTube is winning.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:13 AM   #16
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

I don’t know if this completely answers your question since I’m not the techie one between hubby and I. But, on the iPhone, just turn on Wi-Fi calling and you can use the Starlink to make phone calls all day long where there’s no cell service. This is what we have to do at our seasonal site if we want to have the ability to make/ receive phone calls since there’s no cell service in the valley (across any brand of cell). It also worked well in the mountains with no cell service for BIL who needed to talk to his wife who was down the mountain in town. He has an android phone.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 02:39 PM   #17
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Ain't that the truth, we cut the cord a couple of years ago and went to Hulu Live but we rarely watch programs Live, and Hulu doesn't travel well so we're playing with Sling and YouTube TV so far YouTube is winning.
Javi, we did a lot of research and landed with YoutubeTV when we ditched cable, and so far I am very pleased with it. We especially enjoy the unlimited DVR space, local channels and the ability to watch anywhere on any device. The only channel that I miss because it is not on YT TV is History Channel.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 02:44 PM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Javi, we did a lot of research and landed with YoutubeTV when we ditched cable, and so far I am very pleased with it. We especially enjoy the unlimited DVR space, local channels and the ability to watch anywhere on any device. The only channel that I miss because it is not on YT TV is History Channel.
there are plenty of really really good history channels on regular youtube…some that deal with the world wars that are in depth and on par with anything the history channel has

the history channel is on there as well..some full episodes…over 10.9 million subscribers
Old 11-11-2022, 07:35 AM   #19
Kzneft

Love my Starlink for RV. Connection is fast, 100+ speed, wifi for mobile phones works awesome. Streaming for TV/Movies is fast!
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:52 AM   #20
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I'm curious, can you watch football on YouTube? And what is it costing monthly?

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote