Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #21
atkinsb3

That's good to hear, appreciate the info. It's kind of annoying it's designed like it is. When I got home tonight I extended the awning to see if by chance there were slots in the awning post where it was bolted to the camper so the awning could be adjusted up or down. There wasn't. The top awning post that extends and retracts is about 1.5 - 2" above the post that is fastened to the camper. An adventurous person could drill new holes 1.5 to 2" above the existing holes for the pins that connect the extension arms to the front post and lower it. That would possibly solve the issue of water pooling and running out the bead channel...or it might create all kinds of new problems!?!?

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #22
pollock99

I have a 2018 Keystone Avalanche and our awning is coming unscrewed from the wall. We noticed water damage & tried to fix this ourselves. We travel for my husband’s work so we live in it full-time. We are about to move back to Texas coming from North Carolina and I am afraid it will rip off on the freeway. Is there a quick fix until we get back?
pollock99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollock99 View Post
I have a 2018 Keystone Avalanche and our awning is coming unscrewed from the wall. We noticed water damage & tried to fix this ourselves. We travel for my husband’s work so we live in it full-time. We are about to move back to Texas coming from North Carolina and I am afraid it will rip off on the freeway. Is there a quick fix until we get back?
Welcome to the forum!!

Odds are if the awning is retracted, and there isn’t a lot of pressure it should stay attached. I would extend the arms, and then as soon as it is retracted and starting to pull on the fabric, let go of the button. You can “shim” the screw holes that are coming out with wood skewers and then re secure the screw. You can also add more screws between the failed ones.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #24
Morbach Camping

Good Evening,
I read your post about the fix for the awning. We found an area of the floor that appears to be wet and when I looked at the awning rail, it looks like it could use some caulk. Reading your post, it may need to big fix. Do you know of any videos out there that would help me with the big fix?
Thanks,
Morbach Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:27 PM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

You may get lucky on YouTube. It seems like there is a video for just about anything.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:09 AM   #26
atkinsb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbach Camping View Post
Good Evening,
I read your post about the fix for the awning. We found an area of the floor that appears to be wet and when I looked at the awning rail, it looks like it could use some caulk. Reading your post, it may need to big fix. Do you know of any videos out there that would help me with the big fix?
Thanks,
I ended up taking my awning rail completely off. I got some slack in my awning by extending it a foot and then squeezing the poles back together with bungy cords. Once I got the rail detached from the camper wall, slid it off the awning and went to work on it, the rail came off in two pieces. Found the butyl tape on the back was hit and miss as far as covering screw and staple holes (no surprise).

Removed the old butyl tape cleaned the rail and camper wall with alcohol, and added new butyl tape, reattached and caulked around the edges and over the screws that held it in. It took a bit but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I also used some larger screws in some places because the original ones wouldn't bite.

If you decide to take the awning rail off, the butyl tape (on mine) was between the edges of the roof membrane and the awning rail so be careful not to tear the roof membrane if that's the case with yours. A putty knife, warm day, and plenty of patience will be your friend.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #27
ChuckS

The most effective and permanent fix for your awing rear rail pulling loose from the side wall is to remove screws one at a time and replace with 3/16 oscar or "tri bulb" rivets.. the screws will eventually all come loose.. going to a larger size screw will work for a while but using the rivets gives you a permanent repair and is what is called for in Dometic's installation instructions for the rear rail

the rivets will pull the rail nice and tight and you wont have any further issues

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:59 AM   #28
ChuckS

This is the rivet to use for a lasting repair.

https://www.mcmaster.com/97545A075/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBDC093D-2CB3-444C-AAFF-CE8F0ADF474D.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	29023  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, leak