Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
BauerAP

New to the Keystone world

Hello all

Coming from central NC. We were camping at the beach a couple weeks ago and decided to make the plunge. Traded in our 2012 Wildwood 24bhss for a brand new Sprinter 32FWBHS. We stayed an extra night to enjoy our new purchase. We love it so far, we just need another weekend to get everything in it’s new place. We aren’t novices but definitely aren’t experts either.
BauerAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
Firewall

Welcome and congrats on the new setup! Heading down your way next week for my son's graduation from Wake Forest.
Firewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #3
Gegrad

Welcome from a former NC resident!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
notanlines

Bauer, we spotted you as a rookie right off. As soon as you said "we just need another weekend to get everything in it’s new place." It's been a year and a half and we're just now getting things where "they should be."
Welcome to the forum!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
Cedarnewbie

Congrats! I am also a new Keystone purchaser, (Hideout 177 LHS) our first RV.

Getting ready for our first trip and can't recall which switch operates the hot water tank. I can't find an actual user manual that is useful. Any help or ideas appreciated.

Cedarnewbie
Cedarnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:52 PM   #6
shermris

The hot water tank switch is typically on the control panel near the door, (gas/elect), along with the gray and black water level indicators, awning control, slide control, etc.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:56 PM   #7
shermris

Check for the owners manual in the storage compartment under the bed. If it's not there you can download a copy from the keystone website and request a hard copy. The owners manuals are very generic, you typically won't find information specific to your unit, but the info is still helpful when trying to understand things. PS make sure there is water in the hot water tank before turning it on.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:00 PM   #8
Cedarnewbie

Unfortunately, there are two switches side by side, marked water! Assuming that is pump and heater, but which is which?
Old 05-07-2019, 05:05 PM   #9
shermris

My first camping trip was at a fairly primitive campsite, there was no elect and no dump station but the water storage tank could be filled from a hose near the campground entrance. I had to fill it twice because I didn't know there was a drain plug that had to be installed on the fresh water storage tank. They had outhouses but no showers so we used the water only for drinking and washing dishes. If your camper is new and has not been used before be aware that there is a water shutoff to your hot water heater that is likely shut off, they are usually below your cupboards and you may need a flashlight to find it. Enjoy
Old 05-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #10
Cedarnewbie

Sounds like I should do a "dry run" before we leave home! Certainly wouldn't hurt.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:24 PM   #11
BauerAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedarnewbie View Post
Congrats! I am also a new Keystone purchaser, (Hideout 177 LHS) our first RV.

Getting ready for our first trip and can't recall which switch operates the hot water tank. I can't find an actual user manual that is useful. Any help or ideas appreciated.

Cedarnewbie
The gas switch should be inside the unit with all your tank levels and such. The electric switch is typically inside the exterior water heater access panel and is a simple on/off rocker switch.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #12
BauerAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Bauer, we spotted you as a rookie right off. As soon as you said "we just need another weekend to get everything in it’s new place." It's been a year and a half and we're just now getting things where "they should be."
Welcome to the forum!
Lol understand that. I couldn’t believe how much we had stuffed into our old one. All of the things my wife “needed” that were still in their original package. It’s like moving houses...you never know how much stuff you have until you move. It does make it easier when you have 4 days off in a row and the wife and kids aren’t around too.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:58 AM   #13
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Unfortunately, there are two switches side by side, marked water! Assuming that is pump and heater, but which is which?
Can you take a picture of your switches?
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:58 AM   #14
Eastham

Our keystone cougar is marked under the switch as to what it is for. Also have a switch on the outside in the hot water compartment. It's on the bottom left. You have to bend down to see it.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #15
SummerCheryl

Hi 👋🏼 Just bought a 2015 Keystone Sprinter 36’ MKS.. it replaced my old Jayco Hurricane Michael destroyed. Here to learn & hope to be able to add info as I learn more. Thanks for the add 👍🏼
SummerCheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #16
Nitehawk

Quote:
The two switches are most likely both for the hot water. One is most likely marked gas the other electric.. then on the panel that has your tank levels the is a red switch for the pump.
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:53 AM   #17
German Shepherd Guy

Wow, three new people in one thread. Welcome to BauerAP, Cedarnewbie, and SummerCheryl.

Cedar, hope you have figured out your WH switches by now. There are two, one for the gas, one for the electric. They can both be on at the same time for really quick heat up of the water. There is a third switch that has to do with water that turns on your water pump. Make sure before you turn on the WH that 1) there is water in the hot water tank (a by pass valve near the tank must be in the right position) 2) that the by pass valve IS in the right position to fill the tank. When you winterize the tank gets drained and the bypass valve thrown so that when you put antiice into your system non goes into the WH tank.
Before you run your water pump make sure there is water in your holding tank. Go to Keystones web for a manual you can download. As mentioned it is very generic.

BauerAP sounds like a nice rig, congratulations.

You too SummerCheryl.

Great and helpful people on this list.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #18
JasonW

New to Keystone Forum

Hi everyone,

Introducing myself as a new member to the forum. Just bought a 2008 Keystone Passport 290BH a week ago (upgraded from an '86 Chev Empress motorhome our family of 6 have outgrown).

Camped this past weekend in Dinosaur Provincial Park Campground, which was a great experience (definitely a must to check out for anyone visiting Southern Alberta ...badlands landscape, fossil finding, great trails, natural playground and non-stop climbing for the kids).

Have to say I love how much more storage I have compared to what I did before (no longer need to store camping chairs and other gear in the motorhome, thanks to the ample trailer storage, and full passthrough storage in the front). Not to mention how much more affordable it is to go places, as the Empress was somewhat of a beast gas mileage wise, and thanks to the Passport only weighing about 5,000 lbs dry.

Is getting about 27 litres per 100km (around 8.7 mpg) seem pretty average mileage to get ...at least for relatively flat trips? I'm towing with a 5.7L V8 Toyota Sequoia. I'm sure as soon as I get into some of the mountain passes it'll change quite a bit.

The quad bunk model will be perfect for my family, as we now have extra room for friends/family to stay on occasion.

Anyway, this seems like a great and helpful forum. Look forward to being a part of it.

Jason
JasonW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone