Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
Jeepshots

Built some steps

I've had several people on facebook ask me about the steps I built. I saw a fellow in the neighboring campsite taking down a set of steps that became the foundation of my idea. I liked that the steps could be taken down fairly easily, but I wanted something almost pop-up. So I modified his design into a folding style, incorporating full stair treads. When you fold out the stairs, and fully extend the cross members, you then insert a lock pin into the mating hinges, thereby locking the cross members straight. Once all are locked, begin inserting the step supports into the slots, and insert the treads into the resulting cradle. The dogs are much happier now!
I've also included re-drawn plans for this build. Everything (minus the treads) were cut from one sheet of 3/4" plywood. The treads were purchased from Lowe's. I bought the unfinished pine treads (11" x 48") for around $11 each. You could certainly spruce it up with oak treads and birch plywood.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Step Assembly Collage.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	22311

Click image for larger version

Name:	Step Layout.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	22312
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:29 PM   #2
Logan X

Looks good. They look very stable and easy to set up/take down.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:59 AM   #3
RaptorJB

Great build and thanks for sharing!!
Curt Q24 5th Wheel Hitch Slider
RaptorJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:02 AM   #4
Jeepshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
Looks good. They look very stable and easy to set up/take down.
They were still a bit wiggly at first, then I added the folding X-brace at the back. Now they don't move at all. And they're easy enough to set up that it's a task I give to the teens, while I'm hooking up electric/water/sewer. I've asked if they want to switch jobs - both will beat feet to the steps to start working and claim their spot...
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Old 06-20-2019, 06:19 AM   #5
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
They were still a bit wiggly at first, then I added the folding X-brace at the back. Now they don't move at all. And they're easy enough to set up that it's a task I give to the teens, while I'm hooking up electric/water/sewer. I've asked if they want to switch jobs - both will beat feet to the steps to start working and claim their spot...
Lol...teenagers
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:55 AM   #6
Jeepshots

Totally forgot about the ungodly amount of hinges this takes. Each straight crossmember takes four hinges: one at each side, and two in the middle - one on front and one on back. Pull the pin on the hinge that will be the locking set. The X-brace takes four hinges on the sides, and I used two hinges on the middle fold (can't see that in the pics) and one locking hinge in the front. All told, there are 19 hinge sets in play.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:07 AM   #7
FlyingAroundRV

Very clever design. Thanks for sharing.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:49 AM   #8
mwemaxxowner

I love these! My steps have a crack that needs to be welded that lets one side sag badly. I put a screw jack type support under that side for now, but still needed to make an extra step or two to keep that last one being so far to the ground depending on setup.

I have looked at some commercially available options and they are too expensive, so I was going to weld up what I have and build me a box to act as another step or two when needed. Instead, I think I'll do this! Thanks so much for sharing. It looks great, should work great, and won't cost me $400.
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote