Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 02-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #11
ajk170

Frank G- I appreciate you weighing in on this, and I’m not certain that they will have to drop the bottom. I have removed the panel under the shower and that’s where it’s readily visible as to how they plumbed the shower into the black since it’s right there. I did try to use the scope and get down to see where the grey tank is and how tough it would be but I couldn’t really tell but I “assumed” it to be tough because nothing seemed readily visible but I maybe missing something too! Thanks for the thoughts!

ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:39 AM   #12
ajk170

JRTJH- thanks for your input as well! Looking at the coroplast, it would appear it is all one piece and held in with that rivit instead of a bolt. However, there maybe an interior access panel that I’m missing, such as in the laundry or under the bathroom sink tha could provide better access to a grain line rather than the tank itself. I hadn’t considered that type of thinking out of the box type of solution! Thanks for the support!
MTF...

Old 02-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #13
ajk170

So quick update- talked to our trusted Keystone Service shop and they agreed that it sounds pretty odd and took the VIN because they want to talk to Keystone. I suspect they are cautious because it might not be covered under warranty. I was expecting them to want to look at it first but they didn’t. So I'm not sure what they are expecting to get from Keystone at this point, but I hate to second guess our Service shop- maybe this is just part of the process to get the ball rolling to do the work. I can say they were not excited when I told them the coroplast was NOT bolted on, rather it is the odd rivets. Looking at some of the other posts about that type of mounting, it sounds like a lot of work to tap those rivets out. If Keystone doesn't authorize the work I think I may have to do that part myself. But I maybe getting ahead of myself, Like others have said, there maybe an easier solution to this one! More to Follow (MTF)!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #14
Thunk

ajk170, FWIW (probably not much) I have a 2019 3800FK and the shower absolutely, positively drains into the back grey tank (aka grey 1), not the black tank.

While I doubt that Keystone will be much moved by "some random guy on the internet says..." I thought you might be interested in knowing that at least this FK drains the shower the way you were expecting and not into the black tank.

On a somewhat related side note, though, the first time we used the shower it actually drained all over the bathroom floor! Upon investigation, I found the bottom tracks for the shower doors were installed backwards, with the drain holes pointing out to the floor rather than inwards toward the shower drain. Since we just headed out on a multi-day trip, I found it to be less hassle to just pull the track and reinstall it the correct way and continue our trip than to go back to town and mess with the dealer.
Thunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #15
ajk170

Thunk- This is great news, at least I know that some of these are plumbed two different ways and there is a way in-which to plumb it to the gray 1. From what I could tell, plumbing it into gray 1 wouldn't be too much of a challenge but it would take some engineering. I think it's like everybody says, there is little consistency in the manufacturing process and there is a lot of "customization" happening on the assembly line.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #16
ajk170

So I got the call from our reliable Keystone service shop and they talked with Keystone and Keystone acknowledges that some of the 3800FKs showers were plumbed into the black tank due to the way it was built and they will pay for the repair if it can be fixed but there is no guarantee that it can be fixed. So when they drop the coroplast, I'm planning on being there to see what the under side looks like. I should ask them if I can pay to have some additional insulation installed as well!
Old 02-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #17
Frank G

ajk170 this is just some additional information for you. In the fall of 2017 we toured the Keystone facility in Goshen IN, Specifically the building where the Alpine, Avalanche, and Laredo are built. This is a lower output /day facility, producing about half the volume compared to the Cougar or Montana lines. They also build at least 3 of the same model units back to back. So...there are at least 2 other units plumbed like yours.

Good luck getting yours repaired properly.
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:17 PM   #18
ajk170

Frank G - thanks for the insight! Although I know better based on everything Sr members here and on other forums talk about the manner in which these coach’s are built and the what would appears as a lack of clear blueprints and QA/QC processes and procedures, I’m amazed at how this could happen and be different on different runs of the line! Since being back on here I’ve seen two other members talk about this- maybe we’re the thee units!
Old 02-26-2019, 10:58 PM   #19
ajk170

Well, it's now in with our repair shop- on the initial observation the tech agrees the do not want to drop the coroplast. But since earlier this month the ILs found a list of items that need to be looked at or repaired so it's going to be in there for awhile. I hope they can figure out what to do on the black tank, two showers seems to fill the black tank up. Maybe some people wouldn't mind, or even realize the issue, but since they full-time it bothers them so I'll keep it updated with the results!

Tags
alpine, drain, front kitchen