Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2019, 11:08 PM   #1
Allen Arin

Ice Maker for my RV

I looking to replace my fridge with an ice maker let me know is it the right thing to do also suggest the affordable ice maker with drain pipe facility please share the pics of your ice maker
Allen Arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:39 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Fridges with built in ice makers are much larger than what’s in your trailer right now I bet. I use a portable ice maker, can’t remember the brand right now. It would be much cheaper and easier for you to do the same.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:58 AM   #3
mcomeaux

Counter top ice maker approx. $125.00 works great.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:11 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Sam's Club, $99 in store/$89 shipped for PLUS members.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/frigidair...lp_product_1_1

Ours is 4 years old, we use it regularly on longer trips so we can pack more food in the freezer (no ice to store). As a regular part of trailer setup, we pour a couple of bottles of water into the ice maker when we turn on the air conditioner and by the time we get the sewer hose connected and the trailer level, we've got enough ice for a couple of drinks. It usually stays ahead of our ice needs through the outing, sometimes with enough left over to fill a cooler for side trips.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:48 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Got to agree with the rest...stand alone icemaker. We use the larger Dometic unit and absolutely love it. It sits where one of the chairs for the dining table used to sit (there are only 2 of us) and it stays full of ice ready to do whatever we need. Generally fill a gallon freezer bag or 2 and keep in the freezer in the event we want to throw some in a little cooler and go for a picnic or something. The rest of the time it sits there just waiting for us to "come grab some ice". Great addition and certainly less expensive and less headache than trying to move to a fridge with a built in icemaker.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #6
GMcKenzie

Ditto on the stand alone.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:20 AM   #7
Allen Arin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Fridges with built in ice makers are much larger than what’s in your trailer right now I bet. I use a portable ice maker, can’t remember the brand right now. It would be much cheaper and easier for you to do the same.
Yes Fridge with built in ice maker are bigger than the one in RV which I am having it doesn't work well have spent dollars in it's repair so replacing it with ice maker so it's a good idea to replace it by ice maker, please share me the details of the model when you remember it
Old 09-20-2019, 02:47 AM   #8
Mikendebbie

Ice maker

The stand alone ice maker we have makes incredible ice cubes for our cocktails.
The ice maker in the Samsung refer makes rock hard big ice cubes for tea. They are so hard I need to put a warning label on the freezer door!
We much prefer the stand alone and the softer cubes.
We bought the stand alone from Sams for $99 or so - love it!
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:34 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Stand alone has my vote. For all the reasons previously stated by others plus one more. I'll take ours outside and set it on the counter of the outdoor kitchen so you don't have to go inside to get ice.

Edit - one more reason. ... when using outside I connect it to the pedestals 15/20 amp outlet with an extension cord. With a 30 amp shore power shedding every load possible helps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #10
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Stand alone has my vote. For all the reasons previously stated by others plus one more. I'll take ours outside and set it on the counter of the outdoor kitchen so you don't have to go inside to get ice.

Edit - one more reason. ... when using outside I connect it to the pedestals 15/20 amp outlet with an extension cord. With a 30 amp shore power shedding every load possible helps.
I do the same. Set up a table with the beer cooler, ice maker and blender. Have a power bar and run a cord back to the 15 amp circuit for them.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:05 AM   #11
Allen Arin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomeaux View Post
Counter top ice maker approx. $125.00 works great.
There are available in different models and brands having different features read here. Which model you have bought, if you can share the pics of your counter top ice maker and where did you bought it from,it will cost me less than $125 if i buy it from walmart.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:12 AM   #12
Allen Arin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Got to agree with the rest...stand alone icemaker. We use the larger Dometic unit and absolutely love it. It sits where one of the chairs for the dining table used to sit (there are only 2 of us) and it stays full of ice ready to do whatever we need. Generally fill a gallon freezer bag or 2 and keep in the freezer in the event we want to throw some in a little cooler and go for a picnic or something. The rest of the time it sits there just waiting for us to "come grab some ice". Great addition and certainly less expensive and less headache than trying to move to a fridge with a built in icemaker.
What is the size of stand alone ice maker will it be of same size as my fridge,this seems interesting idea of filling a gallon freezer bag i like it, how much does it cost? Please suggest me one
Old 09-21-2019, 01:18 AM   #13
Allen Arin

It seems, its better to buy a stand alone ice maker instead of portable ice maker after going through all the suggestions thanks for sharing
Quote:
We bought the stand alone from Sams for $99 or so - love it!
could you please share the link of your product on sams.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:12 AM   #14
Mikendebbie

Sams ice maker

It is a Tramontina brand we bought at Sams on sale for $89 in 2017. DW liked the stainless steel body but they had maroon and black at the time. It starts making ice pretty quick - maybe an hour to get enough for drinks. We just leave it on 24-7. The ice melts into the water reservoir and it makes another batch of ice. Every 3rd day I turn it off, drain the water, wipe it down inside and let it dry out to prevent any mold. When we travel I drain it and dry it out and stick a paper towel under the lid to let air circulate and dry out the inside. It has a little plastic plug on the bottom of the reservoir for a drain.

Always try to remember to put the plug back in before filling because without the plug the water gushes out and makes a wet mess of everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EE9A83E4-2065-4F0B-86EC-9DCBB2020BA3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	23806  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:03 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Arin View Post
It seems, its better to buy a stand alone ice maker instead of portable ice maker after going through all the suggestions thanks for sharing could you please share the link of your product on sams.
I think your confused. The "stand alone" and the "portable" ice makers folks are referring to are one in the same. I believe what you may be confusing it with is an "under counter ice maker" which will make about 50 lb. of ice a day. The under counter units are 120v ac or 220v AC and require a lot of amperage (relative to a countertop unit).
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:26 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Arin View Post
What is the size of stand alone ice maker will it be of same size as my fridge,this seems interesting idea of filling a gallon freezer bag i like it, how much does it cost? Please suggest me one

This is the unit we have; https://www.kmart.com/dometic-hzb-15...-SPM8861747929

It looks to be discontinued from what I can tell. We love it and it can churn out plenty of ice for the 2 of us....and my ice chest.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #17
Pull Toy

I can't resist.... I'm "OLD SCHOOL"!

Ice cube trays 3 for a dollar at Dollar General. Plus they nest real nicely, to save space, when not in use. Also the added weight is negligible. LOL

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
I can't resist.... I'm "OLD SCHOOL"!

Ice cube trays 3 for a dollar at Dollar General. Plus they nest real nicely, to save space, when not in use. Also the added weight is negligible. LOL

Good Luck,
The only issue with doing the "ice cube tray thing" is the space they take up in the freezer. If on an extended trip, or even if dry camping for a week or so, it's nice to have the freezer space for frozen food and the "ever present" butter pecan ice cream. With the counter top ice maker, we have a significant amount of "extra freezer space" for something other than ice.

We've found that for the way we camp, the ice maker gives us that edge on what we can bring from home rather than shopping for small quantities of frozen foods.

YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:46 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Yep. We did away with ice trays a long time ago. There are just too may ways to avoid that, to me, irritating process of filling them, spilling them, cracking them out, repeat, repeat until.....the little ice trays look like ??? from all the minerals in the water so they get cleaned/replaced. Ice maker? Nirvana! No more wasted freezer space on ice trays and.....

I thought I was the only one that had discovered butter pecan ice cream!! Used to be a 100% Blue Bell ice cream guy and thought "Blue Bunny" was some knockoff, "ice milk" kind of ice cream. Well, I was wrong. Discovered their butter pecan ice cream by accident several months ago. Don't like it...I LOVE it. Unfortunately, it has awakened my dormant "sweet" tooth. I had lost 15 pounds (much needed) then came upon the ice cream. I now KEEP a tub of it in the freezer and eat about 1/3 of it each night....I've become an addict. Worse, I've found I REALLY like it with warm apple pie so now I knock out about a 1/2 apple pie and at least a 1/3 tub of ice cream 3-4 times a week......I feel the pounds creeping back.

Sorry, back to ice makers....that mention of making space for the butter pecan "fired me off"......now, to the fridge for another bowl of ice cream (wiped out the apple pie last night).
Old 09-23-2019, 02:09 AM   #20
Allen Arin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think your confused. The "stand-alone" and the "portable" ice makers folks are referring to are one and the same. I believe what you may be confusing it with is an "under counter ice maker" which will make about 50 lb. of ice a day. The under counter units are 120v ac or 220v AC and require a lot of amperage (relative to a countertop unit).
Ok I think I messed up all so there are of two types one is the under counter and other one is the ontop of counter and the under counter ice maker will make more ice than the ontop counter ice maker is this right what I have understood