Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2019, 06:34 AM   #1
Badtriangle

Satellite TV issues

Anyone ever have trouble getting signal when connecting to the RV satellite connections? I can get a signal if I plug the dish directly into the receiver but if using the outlet(s) on the sides of the RV=complete signal loss.
Thoughts?
Badtriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:54 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

What connection? Is it labeled SAT or CBL?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
Badtriangle

It’s the SAT connection on each of them. I’m wondering if there is either a poor connection or poor wiring within the RV. Or if just having multiple junctions is weakening the signal to the receiver. Never had this trouble in other RVs we’ve had with the same equipment.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:21 AM   #4
Farside

Badtriangle, sounds like you might have hit the nail on the head with a possible disconnect from the factory. I would start by trying to inject a signal from the outside, other than using your dish connection. I'd use something that has a coax connector on the back, like an old DVD player. If the signal doesn't get to the TV connection, then yes you have a disconnect.

Since you are saying that there are more than one SAT output wall connections that don't have the signal, I would start outside and work inward.

It's possible someone didn't tighten the cable to the exterior wall plate, or didn't even attach it.

If that looks good, then it's a matter of finding that elusive splitter, combiner, junction box, or switch box, and checking it out. Somewhere the connection is loose, or not making contact.

Lastly, I would check the wall connections at the TV locations. They just might not connect to nothing.
Farside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:10 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Didn't mention year/model so not sure if the thing is under warranty. If so, take it to your dealer and let them deal with it. If you need to fix this yourself:

1. Cockpit error; you are not setting the dish/receiver up properly. You didn't mention which type dish/receiver so can't help here. I have DishTV with Playmaker dish and wally on my rig. Here you would need to call DishTV after ensuring the TV was connected correctly and set up so a DishTV signal would be on the screen (proper input for the TV).

2. You say you have TWO Sat TV connectors on the outside of your trailer? Why? Most portable dishes only have the ability to run one signal. If they are intended to be satellite inputs, consider the label-sticking-on guy didn't have a clue what they were for and mislabeled the inputs. Consider trying all coax inputs on the outside of the trailer in the event the guy labeled wrong.

3. If there are TWO sat inputs and neither worked, consider one is supposed to be for one area and the other another area. Can't see why they would give you two and put Y splits so time to check each run individually. First, check the most likely input by pulling off the outside fitting where the cable is connected and check to ensure it is tight. Do the same for the inside connector. If these seem OK, may be a cable itself.
Buy a spool of 20 ga wire and clip one end to the in-trailer conductor in the coax. Then un-spool the wire and run it to the other end outside. Use a multimeter to check continuity. Ohms on lowest value and touch the wire connected to the inside conductor and touch the conductor on the outside. If the wire is good, take a second to ensure you have RG6 coax and NOT RG58. It is on the cable. If you have continuity consider either the bulkhead connector is bad or perhaps the inside connector. You can also check continuity in a similar manner on the shielding which provides ground I think.

If the wire is bad, you likely won't have much luck dragging a new one through the path the original is in even using the original as a fish as the connectors will snag on something. At this point, I would make a small hole the side of the trailer adjacent to the location of your receiver and install a new bulkhead connector and use a short run on the inside to connect the receiver.

3. You can try the alternate coax input using the same steps.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #6
jlonginav

I had issues in my 18 367FLS when connecting to the park supplied cable to the Cable/Sat connection point. After getting behind the connection I found it was not connected up to the TV area. An error from the factory
Old 09-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #7
Wyldfire

Did you remove the short jumper cable and hook Wally to one of the connectors (mine is the top one) and turn booster off?
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #8
ADQ K9

I had to figure out what was Cable /Sat coax behind the TV in the living area to hook up the TV in the bedroom. Nothing was labeled. Did it by trial and error to get signal to bedroom TV.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #9
uavpilotmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badtriangle View Post
Anyone ever have trouble getting signal when connecting to the RV satellite connections? I can get a signal if I plug the dish directly into the receiver but if using the outlet(s) on the sides of the RV=complete signal loss.

Thoughts?

I had the same issue. I’ve been told that there is a splitter somewhere in your RV. Won’t work.
uavpilotmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #10
Badtriangle

Just for some clarification:
It’s a 2019 Bullet 257RSS. It’s only got one satellite connector on the side. When I said 2, I meant the “input” connection and then the “output” connection. It does also have the same for the cable hookups but i am strictly using the SAT. I’m running a DishTV tailgater with the Wally setup. I am in an area where I know I have good signal strength and clear southern skies. If I hook directly into the Wally from the tailgater, I have no trouble at all. It’s only when I use the RVs connections.

Tags
satellite