Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #41
Frosty46

Batteries are placed by teh dealers. Marine designated batteries are deep cycle. That they also have a start rating is part of the boat use aspects. Yes you should have gotten great deep cycle batteries and not those cheaper alternatives. Having said that I have used the cheaper Marine/Start units for many years and I get five plus years out of them. On my second in my 2010 Raptor bought new. Also might add this--surges in circuits running motors on DC current well could use the extra bump these batteries deliver
Frosty46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #42
Brantlaker

The RV is not shipped with a Battery. You pay for the battery it is a line item on the Invoice.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:56 AM   #43
CT Wanderer

12V Deep Cycle

When I went to replace my 12V batteries the only "Deep Cycle" batteries I could find were Marine/RV batteries which have a CCA rating. If someone can recommend a 12V Group 27 battery that is truly only a deep cycle battery I'd like to know what that is. At this point I believe the only way to get a true Deep Cycle battery is to go to a pair of 6v Golf Cart batteries.
CT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:12 AM   #44
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

I get my deep cycle batteries at Walmart. The label will say "Deep Cycle". It may say Marine/RV also, or not, but it must say "Deep Cycle."
It may also have "cold cranking amp" and/or "marine cranking amp" rating, or amp hour rating. This isn't a constant. Look for "Deep Cycle" on the label.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/VMAX-MR12...p-27/311510891

I buy all me vehicle batteries from Walmart. My reasoning is there are Walmarts just about everywhere, and that's where battery failures happen. Everywhere. And I don't want to drive a round looking for some store to use the warranty.
Here's a good read.
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...torage-Battery
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:39 AM   #45
itat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Wanderer View Post
When I went to replace my 12V batteries the only "Deep Cycle" batteries I could find were Marine/RV batteries which have a CCA rating. If someone can recommend a 12V Group 27 battery that is truly only a deep cycle battery I'd like to know what that is. At this point I believe the only way to get a true Deep Cycle battery is to go to a pair of 6v Golf Cart batteries.
Look into the Trojan 27TMX battery. It’s a 12V Group 27 size battery that’s a true deep cycle flooded lead acid battery. DEKA makes good deep cycle batteries, too, but they may be labelled as a Marine Master.

IMO, you only need to go to 6V golf cart batteries if you boondock regularly.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #46
CT Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Look into the Trojan 27TMX battery. It’s a 12V Group 27 size battery that’s a true deep cycle flooded lead acid battery. DEKA makes good deep cycle batteries, too, but they may be labelled as a Marine Master.

IMO, you only need to go to 6V golf cart batteries if you boondock regularly.
Thanks. That's the first 12v that I believe is a true deep cycle. My intention is to go to two 6v GC2 batteries when I replace these as we do a fair amount of boon docking.
CT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #47
shermris

Call the dealer and ask if this is SOP, (standard operating procedure). If you can't get any satisfaction from the dealer contact Keystone and see what their response is. My unit is several years old but it came with Interstate deep cycle batteries. Travel trailers require deep cycle batteries. If you have a onboard generator that may have a stand alone cranking battery. While Keystone does not ship trailers with batteries, I would think there is some sort of dealer responsibility to provide an adequate batteries.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #48
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

X2 on that!
The dealers are figuring we're all ignorant.
Well, they won't have a chance to do that to me again.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #49
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
X2 on that!
The dealers are figuring we're all ignorant.
Well, they won't have a chance to do that to me again.
On batteries...... Trust me when I say there's tires, roof sealant, winterization, refrigerator inspection (check your Dometic warranty requirements), brake adjustment/wheel bearing lubrication, just to get started.

Once you've mastered "battery 101" don't close the textbook !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #50
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
On batteries...... Trust me when I say there's tires, roof sealant, winterization, refrigerator inspection (check your Dometic warranty requirements), brake adjustment/wheel bearing lubrication, just to get started.

Once you've mastered "battery 101" don't close the textbook !!!!!
Thanks John.
I'm a maintenance book nerd. I do all the stuff myself that I can. Mainly because I have problems trusting what goes on in repair shops.
I'm appreciate experienced folks like you helping out with advice.

Tags
keystone, travel trailer