Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #1
OregonDuck

Curious to hear from Pullrite Hitch Owners

Would love to hear any comments from pullrite owners on the capture plate. I've heard that it can be an issue, in that you have to back completely straight to hitch up. Have any of you been in unlevel or angled campsites where this became an issue?

Thanks!
OregonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
slow

The manual states that with the capture plate you need to be within 10 degrees, which is a lot IMO. Keep in mind that you only need to be straight for about 8 inches, then you are clear to turn.

This last weekend, I setup on an unlevel site (side to side) and unhitched at about 10 degrees without an issue.

Generally I like to be straight on anyway to be sure the FW suspension is not "twisted" from a turn.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #3
LZScout

I’ve used ours about 6 years and never had any trouble. If it’s really unleveled side to side and the truck isn’t, the hitch compensates. I’ve been in some fairly unleveled sites over the years, both front to back and side to side and haven’t found one I couldn’t make work with some extra blocks and Lippert’s Level Up system.

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
mcmeadows1

We have had our Pullrite hitch for just under 2.5 years now. During this time we have camped about ten times. Being we live in the desert southwest, we normally don’t have to negotiate tight turns when parking our fifth wheel. I can only remember one time when this was the case, and the ten degree alignment requirement wasn’t an issue. Once we have the trailer where we want it, the truck is almost always perfectly aligned with the trailer.

As for parking/camping on non level ground, this hasn’t been an issue either. On our last camping trip, we camped on the shore of the lake, about twenty feet from the water. We had to put about eight inches of leveling boards under the passenger side trailer wheels to level the trailer side-to-side. Of course, we had to do the same to the passenger side landing gear, in order to keep the legs level and extended to the same length. We did not have any issues either disconnecting or reconnecting the trailer to the hitch.

Marty
mcmeadows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Cbrez

We used a SuperGlide for about 4 yrs and never had any problem with hitching or unhitching on unlevel sites. I don’t think the catch plate makes any difference in that regard. Also never had a situation where we couldn’t get aligned within the 10 deg tolerance. There is a procedure in the owner’s manual if you can’t get within 10 deg.

“In emergency situations you can pull the clevis pins and clips that attach the Fifth Wheel Plate or “head” assembly to the Rocker Arm, lower your landing gear and raise the trailer up until the Fifth Wheel Plate is free from the Rocker Arm. Pull forward from under the parked trailer. At that point you can pull the Release Handle, remove the head from the king pin and reattach it to your hitch with the clevis pins and clips.”

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #6
bobbecky

We have had our Pullrite since December 2012, and only once were we in such a tight RV park location that I had to lift the rig with the hitch head still attached to the pin box. Fortunately, when we were ready to leave several days later, we had more room to get hitched back up, and were able to get straight with the hitch. The hitch has been almost problem free, except several years ago the cam bearing failed, and Pullrite sent a new one for postage only. We have probably over 60,000 miles on it towing our rig.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch