Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2023, 06:58 AM   #1
gkainz

Battery meets 60mph asphalt belt sander

or ... "do you think I'll get my full core charge back"?

Heading up the mountain on I-70 westbound Thursday for a camping trip, and a fellow RVer pulled around to pass, then dropped back to my window, pointed frantically at the ground and yelled something I couldn't understand, but "pull over and check it out" was understood completely even if that's not what he said.

I did a full walkaround on both sides - tires ok, no windows unlatched, nothing apparently deployed on the roof ... ducked down to inspect under the rig and there's this odd looking black box dragging on the highway by 2 big cables!

The 3rd world potholes that have become the I-70 norm apparently caused one of my GC 6V batteries to punch the bottom out of its battery box, fall through, and drag down the highway!

This 2010 Keystone Laredo came with 1 battery box and 1 12v marine battery, as all seem to do (at least of this era?). Keystone (or maybe my dealer?) cut out the floor of the front compartment and put the lower half of the battery box into this hole, where it's suspended by a fairly substantial lip around the box. The upper lid then goes over the top, allowing the battery to sit fairly low in the compartment.

When I bought the 5er new, I added 2 6V GC batteries, bought the same boxes from Keystone through my dealer and also suspended them through the floor. I had reservations about installing like this, but just "assumed if Keystone did it this way, it must be ok".

The cable joining the 2 GC batteries welded to the frame when it cut through the insulation, the ground cable carried the full current until it completely melted. Dragging the battery on the roadway ground away about 20% of the bottom of the battery.

So, this one may test Costco's no questions asked replacement policy... think I'll get my full core charge back?

Seriously though, I thank God I didn't end up burning up the rig, or the battery didn't break loose and bounce up through someone's windshield!

I'm pretty sure there will be no more batteries suspended through the compartment floor for me!

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1950.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	44800  
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 10:24 AM   #2
Dave727

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
or ... "do you think I'll get my full core charge back"?

Heading up the mountain on I-70 westbound Thursday for a camping trip, and a fellow RVer pulled around to pass, then dropped back to my window, pointed frantically at the ground and yelled something I couldn't understand, but "pull over and check it out" was understood completely even if that's not what he said.

I did a full walkaround on both sides - tires ok, no windows unlatched, nothing apparently deployed on the roof ... ducked down to inspect under the rig and there's this odd looking black box dragging on the highway by 2 big cables!

The 3rd world potholes that have become the I-70 norm apparently caused one of my GC 6V batteries to punch the bottom out of its battery box, fall through, and drag down the highway!

This 2010 Keystone Laredo came with 1 battery box and 1 12v marine battery, as all seem to do (at least of this era?). Keystone (or maybe my dealer?) cut out the floor of the front compartment and put the lower half of the battery box into this hole, where it's suspended by a fairly substantial lip around the box. The upper lid then goes over the top, allowing the battery to sit fairly low in the compartment.

When I bought the 5er new, I added 2 6V GC batteries, bought the same boxes from Keystone through my dealer and also suspended them through the floor. I had reservations about installing like this, but just "assumed if Keystone did it this way, it must be ok".

The cable joining the 2 GC batteries welded to the frame when it cut through the insulation, the ground cable carried the full current until it completely melted. Dragging the battery on the roadway ground away about 20% of the bottom of the battery.

So, this one may test Costco's no questions asked replacement policy... think I'll get my full core charge back?

Seriously though, I thank God I didn't end up burning up the rig, or the battery didn't break loose and bounce up through someone's windshield!

I'm pretty sure there will be no more batteries suspended through the compartment floor for me!

Greg
Wow Greg! Totally agree with your second to last and your last paragraph.

USN 1972-79
NRA Life Member
Dave727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 07:01 PM   #3
rhagfo

Wow, never heard of cutting a hole in the front compartment floor to recess the batteries. I would worry about road debris hitting one of the boxes and damaging the box or battery.
I agree, patch the holes and get a new box to replace the one that the battery fell out of.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 05:09 AM   #4
skids

Mix some baking soda in hot water and spray it on every exposed metal surface and don't let it drip on you.

Tags
battery