Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2021, 04:53 PM   #1081
Keshka

Parts is parts

Installed Lipperts new 8 channel controller so teh new remote that came with the auto level system I added a couple weeks ago would also control all the other goodies on my Fuzion.
https://store.lci1.com/8-function-re...es-305119.html

pretty strait forward and works great.

Intalled a 8D Battleborn LiFePo4 battery to replace the dying cat 8D

Installed amp/watt meter next to the main control panel.

Installed new slide out awnings

Tomorrow...new brakes.
Keshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:14 AM   #1082
jxnbbl

New trailer setup

Probably will be a frequent poster to thread as I pick away at setting up a new trailer and transferring/enhancing addons from my old trailer.

1. Installed a Furion Vision S backup camera and ensured working. This time we paced off the distance looking a "grid" displayed on the monitor so we know were 10,20,30 ft markings are.

2. Since this trailer has two doors, ordered a matching electronic from RV Lock keyed the same. Installed my "old lock" and new lock programming the locks and the key fobs.

Since the dealer master tech is away on vacation and we plan on using the trailer during the time he will return I just loaded up all the parts and will pick away at it in priority order for our trip.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:46 AM   #1083
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I feel like buying a 5th wheel just so I can display my US flag like you have there. Good work!
I like it and get lots of compliments on it.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:36 PM   #1084
Keshka

Worked most the day doing repairs to my slide out. Got the "mess" cleaned up now on to the fix when parts arrive (see slide out post). This 2011 Fuzion we purchased two months ago hardly shows any signs of even normal wear and tear. It looks like new inside and out. Only the decals on the nose are slightly faded and the ramp has wear under the tube clamps from the RV racking side to side while traveling. I will investigate perhaps some bracing to stop it.
Old 10-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #1085
Bandit12

Towed it into the dealer for some warranty repairs. If I'm lucky I might have it back in 2 weeks or so. Luckily for me, I had initially made the appointment for when we returned from our South Dakota trip this summer and the dealer already had the repair orders written and the parts ordered and received. I then pushed out the appointment for a few months due to the Dixie fire being so close to home and the need to have the trailer ready to roll in case we needed to evacuate. Thankfully, that threat is no longer imminent, so we felt comfortable in letting go of our rolling evac center for a bit.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 01:06 PM   #1086
MarkEHansen

Sounds like a great dealer - who is it? Folsom Lake RV in Sacramento?
Old 10-04-2021, 03:11 PM   #1087
Bandit12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Sounds like a great dealer - who is it? Folsom Lake RV in Sacramento?
Actually no. It's Camping World in Reno, formerly Sierra RV. We bought from Camping World in Kaysville UT a little over a year ago, but since they are over 600 miles away, we've been working with CW in Reno and they have been taking good care of us so far. I had to take the rig in for the OTG recall back in Apr(?) and when I made the appointment, I told the service writer I had already gone thru the diagnostic procedure and was confident my trailer was not affected. According to the recall, if there is no problem, the tech is to bill Keystone for .1 hours of labor. Means it should take no more than 6 minutes to confirm the trailer is wired properly. I told the service writer I would not leave my trailer there over night for this as I live 90 miles away. He agreed. When I got there he said something along the lines of we'll call you in the next week or so to let you know if it's done. I said stop right there. We talked about this. If you aren't going to have it done today, I'll hitch it back up right now and leave. I already know my trailer is wired correctly, and it shouldn't take your tech more than 15 minutes and even then if he misplaced his test box and has to look for it. The service writer said can we have it for about 4 hours? Yep. I came back 4 hours later and as I was walking in, he was calling my cell phone to let me know it was ready for pick up. I let them know what I expected and they complied. When I took it in today, I told them we have a trip planned for the end of this month so I'd like to have it back in the next 2-3 weeks. Service writer I was working with said if we have the parts. I said I thought you told me you already had all the parts. She checked the computer and said you're right I missed that, the repair orders had been written and parts ordered back in April. So, we'll see when I get it back. She said for me to call early to mid next week to see where we're at in the repair process.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:59 AM   #1088
jxnbbl

Installed:

A locking dual battery box that can hold 2 group 27 batteries

Reinstalled my tpms and wired the repeater to the Gigi box (so it will be switched off when in storage).

Reinstalled my Wingard gateway, now with a switch to easily cycle the router if necessary.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:56 AM   #1089
RogerThat99

Converted my door from a 90 degree open, to it swinging all the way open. Simple fix, but much better.

I also added a solar trickle charger for the batteries. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211008_170636.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	36394
RogerThat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:09 PM   #1090
Maineiacs

Added Valterra gate valves to both waste pipes. Never have to worry about "surprises" any more when the cap comes off. Resynced the TPMS monitors the other day and wired the repeater into the coach using the propane detector circuit, which is always on.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:14 PM   #1091
JRTJH
Site Team

Yesterday was "supposed" to be the day to change out the Lippert 4400 axles for Dexter 6000 pound axles.... Well, the axles that came in were NOT Dexter, they were "dexter hubs welded to a Chinese axle beam with the brake wiring taped to the outside of the axle beam. They were not "auto adjust brake hubs" and there was no warranty on the axles... So, I got to the axle shop at 730 AM and was headed back home with the trailer at 745 AM....

Needless to say, I was not a "happy camper"... So, out of frustration, when I got home, I washed and waxed the trailer yesterday afternoon and winterized it this morning (compressed air followed by 1.5 gallons of RV "red stuff"). This afternoon, I shuffled things around in the pole barn, brought the snow blowers and tractor cab back to the house and finally got the trailer bay is empty, so the trailer is going into storage tomorrow. DW still wants to do another "walk through cleaning" before dragging it around the corner. That'll be tomorrow... Now, it's "miller time"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:09 PM   #1092
Bill-2020

That, sir, is just infuriating!!
Old 10-12-2021, 06:00 PM   #1093
Keshka

First draw down test on the 8D series BattleBorn battery finished today. I did not time it but with just parasitic draw and occasional solar support. It took it most of a month to get below 13v. The meter read 12.6 or so so fired up the Onan 7700 and watched what the WFCO did. It charged at about 45 amps for a few minutes then dropped to 30. Nothing I did would make it switch to it's 100amp bulk charge. It will be leaving soon. I shut off the genset and put a 30amp car charger on it till morning. WFCO may be ok for RV parks but would suck for boondocking (the only thing we do). What good is a 7000 watt genset if I can only get 360 watts to my battery. I purchased this LiFePo for the specific reason that it will fully charge in 2 hours and that equals much less genset time.

The 8D did great though. Meter said 2.45kwh! Nice. Happy with that. Next I lubed the Darco on the bottom of my slideouts with ArmorAll and the rubber seals.

Next up to the roof and sweep off all the pine needles, apply the self leveling goop where needed, swept off the slideout awnings and replaced one rotten plumbing vent cap.

Retracted the slideouts ....snow forecast for the morning (have I mentioned how much I hate winter?)

2011 Fuzion
1988 GMC C8000 with Detroit 8.2l
2018 Honda CRF450RX
Keshka & Nikki
Old 10-13-2021, 11:16 AM   #1094
Maineiacs

John, out of idle curiosity did the local shop screw up the order or did the end vendor try to hoodwink both of you?
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #1095
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
John, out of idle curiosity did the local shop screw up the order or did the end vendor try to hoodwink both of you?
It was the axle shop.... I made it a point of telling them "Dexter only or they won't go on my trailer"... After 3 weeks of not hearing anything from them, I went down to find out when the axles were going to be in. They said their supplier hadn't got back with them, so I told them to find another source for the axles if their supplier wasn't returning calls. They "found another source"... A "small, fly by night machine shop" in Flint. The original Dexter axles were supposed to be $850 each plus installation.... When they called the day after my "visit", they told me that they "found a source for my axles but they would be a little more than their supplier"... They quoted $970, but could have them in 2 weeks. I said OK, and when I got to the shop on Monday morning, I saw the axles, asked why the brake wire was on the outside of the axle beam and why they weren't painted. That's when I found out that "they (the parts guy at the axle shop) made the decision to just get me some axles.... Probably hoping I wouldn't know the difference... Little did he know, and when I started quoting Dexter part numbers for bearings and races and comparing the Dexter brake assemblies without auto adjust to the Dexter brake assemblies with auto adjust by part number, well that's when you could see the "blood leaving his face" as he realized I probably knew more about Dexter axles than he did.....

I was not a happy camper and when the service manager tried to play the sympathy card by telling me that the axles were a special order and not returnable and he was going to be "stuck with them"... You can imagine my response... I can't post it here, it's against forum rules....

Needless to say, I'm in the process of locating another axle shop and starting over.....

ADDED: It's not like I can't do it in the driveway, I just didn't want to have to climb under the trailer and at my age, I'd prefer not to take a week to recover from the job... Plus, I thought I would do something for the local economy by hiring a local shop to support. Well, that sort of backfired.... We'll see in a couple weeks after I cool down enough to start looking again. Heck, I can order the axles with springs mounted for $690 each and a wet bolt kit is $82. I've got all the jacks, jack stands, creepers and C-clamps to do it myself, I just would rather "drink beer and let someone younger make a few bucks".... But.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-13-2021, 12:54 PM   #1096
LHaven

Swapped out the DCM on my inCommand with a replacement unit ASA sent me, to try to track down a problem where it goes offline to Global Connect a few times a month. I don't think it's hardware, but I'll do it to keep the manufacturer happy before we try something else.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:01 PM   #1097
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I went down to find out when the axles were going to be in. They said their supplier hadn't got back with them, so I told them to find another source for the axles

Heck, I can order the axles with springs mounted for $690 each and a wet bolt kit is $82. I've got all the jacks, jack stands, creepers and C-clamps to do it myself, I just would rather "drink beer and let someone younger make a few bucks".... But.....
If the problem is that the shop can't get the proper parts, why can't you order the parts and have them drop shipped to a shop (probably not that one, though)?
Old 10-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #1098
flybouy
Site Team

Seems like "Grounghog Day" (the movie) what with supply shortages, folks that are working that don't care, etc. I swear these days if you don’t (or can't) do it yourself then you're in for a crap shoot. My DW spends a rediculous amount of time on the phone eith our health insurance company constantly doing their job. I don’t see any signs of it changing for the better anytime soon either. Sorry, don't mean to be Debbie Downer, just frustrated seeing what's happened to this country.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 03:06 PM   #1099
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
If the problem is that the shop can't get the proper parts, why can't you order the parts and have them drop shipped to a shop (probably not that one, though)?
If I have them drop shipped anywhere, it'll be my garage and they'll sit there until my grandson comes to visit and I'm going to teach him how to change axles on a fifth wheel....

Like Marshall commented, if you want it done right, these days, it's getting harder and harder to find someone that you can trust (at face value) to do what they are in business to do.

I just sent Dexter Axle (in Elkhart) an email asking them where/when they can supply the specific axles built to my trailer measurements. We'll see what they say. It's Wednesday, so I should hear back from them this week. If not, my grandson lives in Auburn, IN and it's only about 60 miles to the Dexter plant in Bristol from his house.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-13-2021, 05:05 PM   #1100
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I feel like buying a 5th wheel just so I can display my US flag like you have there. Good work!
I use this on my travel trailer.

It has a plate that will go under the tongue or a tire.

-Brian