Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #11
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwade87 View Post
According to mfg Trailer King...the speed rating is 81. At most I travel at 70mph and that is it.

Thanks for all your answers thus far. I feel a bit better. I know I’m near the top of my towing capacity and we typically don’t pack too heavy. We are a bring what you need and must have and that is typically it. I will weigh TT in near future and get some approximate travel weights when packed etc for my peace of mind.

Load it for a typical trip and then weigh it to get real world numbers.

Regarding speed towing when you know you are towing near your limits, brings up a questions you should be asking yourself about, and thinking a lot about your family. The difference of handling a tight situation at 70 MPH vs 60 MPH is night and day. 14,000+ at 70 MPH has a lot of inertia. Chris

Old 09-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #12
docwade87

I am well aware of what increased speed and weight brings as I drive 40k+ vehicles at higher speeds for a living. Thank you for bringing that up as many do not think about that.

docwade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #13
Bolo4u

Quote:
According to mfg Trailer King...the speed rating is 75. At most I travel at 70mph and that is it.

Thanks for all your answers thus far. I feel a bit better. I know Iím near the top of my towing capacity and we typically donít pack too heavy. We are a bring what you need and must have and that is typically it. I will weigh TT in near future and get some approximate travel weights when packed etc for my peace of mind.

I may look into options for a stiffer stronger rear suspension.
It seems you have had your original question answered. The next thing you should consider is swapping out the TK (aka China Bomb) tires at your earliest opportunity. There are numerous threads and posts related to concerns and experiences with those (and other) brand of tires. Since you're already doing good research as far as your towing criteria; the next logical step for piece of mind is tires.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #14
docwade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
It seems you have had your original question answered. The next thing you should consider is swapping out the TK (aka China Bomb) tires at your earliest opportunity. There are numerous threads and posts related to concerns and experiences with those (and other) brand of tires. Since you're already doing good research as far as your towing criteria; the next logical step for piece of mind is tires.
Good to know! Thanks for the insight. So many pieces to the puzzle when youíre new to owning a unit.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #15
Snoking

Quote:
Good to know! Thanks for the insight. So many pieces to the puzzle when youíre new to owning a unit.
Put GY Endurance load range E on it. Sell the OEM tires on Craigslist. My OEM ST225/75R15D sold the first day on CL.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #16
Bolo4u

Quote:
There are 3-4 really good, high quality tires available to upgrade to. I have had very good luck with the Carlisle HD tires. You can usually find them on sale and after selling your take offs, you may only be out of pocket $100-$200. As another poster mentioned the Goodyear Endurance line. You'll also hear about Maxxis and Sailun.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:48 AM   #17
docwade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
There are 3-4 really good, high quality tires available to upgrade to. I have had very good luck with the Carlisle HD tires. You can usually find them on sale and after selling your take offs, you may only be out of pocket $100-$200. As another poster mentioned the Goodyear Endurance line. You'll also hear about Maxxis and Sailun.

Thank you! Iím accustomed to Maxxis as I race and ride downhill mountain bikes. They are my go to tire and have been for a couple years. Any one of those brands better bang for the buck per say?
Old 09-10-2019, 05:54 AM   #18
Snoking

Availability of the Endurance would be the best, along with dealing with a company that has the best warranty.

Tires are to important to shop price in many cases.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:34 PM   #19
hornet28

Quote:
It has towing package on it with tow/haul feature that changes gear ratio and gives more upfront power etc etc.
Where did you come up with the idea that tow/haul changes the gear ratio and gives you more power? Changing your gear ratio on the fly would require a 2 speed rear-end
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:58 AM   #20
docwade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
Where did you come up with the idea that tow/haul changes the gear ratio and gives you more power? Changing your gear ratio on the fly would require a 2 speed rear-end
I did not articulate correctly, here’s the more appropriate language for it. Engaging the tow haul feature in the Tundra causes the truck to hold lower gears longer when accelerating or decelerating and on long grades and mountain roads. This gives you more pulling, stopping, and steering power. It gives better engine response as well as adds engine braking. Definitely very noticeable. As stated previously the 5.7l V8 tundras do a spectacular job of hauling and towing in their weight/class ratings..