Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
Frisbeekev

Weighing rv

This is a silly question I am sure, but here it goes. I know you can weigh your rig at a truck stop on their scales. I was wondering if you can use those random truck scales on the side of the highway or do they frown upon that? Also would It get me the weights i want (tongue weight, trailer weight, truck weight, and combined weight. I know (at least near me) the state police sometimes search vehicles there, which would be a pain. That is all I have near me though and I want to get the weights of my unit. Thanks
Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Most commercial, government operated weigh stations on public highways are "off limits" to private vehicles... That said, you probably won't get a ticket for stopping to try to weigh, but you would likely be chastised, instructed to "move along" and likely would be followed by truckers as they chat about you on their CB radios....

If you want to get a series of good weights on your rig, you'll need to do three weights at a CAT scale and/or multiple weights at a "single pad scale"...

At a 3 pad CAT scale, park away from the scale, go inside and ask for the weigh master. Talk to him/her about what you want to do BEFORE you park on the scale. Once the weigh master knows your intentions, go to your rig, drive it onto the scale with the front tow vehicle axle on pad 1, the rear tow vehicle axle on pad 2 and the trailer axles on pad 3. Use a broom handle to press the intercom button (or climb on the roof of your truck to reach it) and tell the weigh master you're ready for weight #1. Then, walk to the back of your tow vehicle, unhook the weight distribution bars (DO NOT UNHITCH THE TRAILER just take the weight off the bars) and press the intercom and ask for weight #2. Then drive off the scales to an open area, unhook the trailer and drive the tow vehicle back onto the scale with front axle on pad 1 and rear axle on pad 2. Ask for the third weight. Then drive off the scale and go inside to get your "ticket and pay (probably $14.

With the first weight you'll have the "weight distributed weight of your rig as it is towed on the road. the second weight will give you the "static load" on the hitch, the amount of weight on the rear axle and the amount of weight "lifted" from the front axle. The third weight will give you the actual weight of your tow vehicle. By doing simple math, you can determine the hitch weight, redistributed weight to both the front axle and back to the trailer axles, the weight of your truck with "travel payload" as well as the weight of your total rig.

You can find CAT scale locations at this website: https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Those "random truck scales " are for the state police to weigh commercial vehicles. They will not weigh you nor appreciate your pulling in. Just google cat scales near me and you will find one.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

It's unknown for me to know how the scales are set up there. This is Oregon, the Oregon dot scales are not open 24/7 unless it is at a port of entry. Those are busy with trucks mostly 24/7. All others, if closed many use them, they are set up so the weights are displayed on a digital readout. Seen through your windshield. Really only problem there are the people who use them as rest stops. When open if there are NO comm trucks in line, rolling through in a rv is no big deal, many do it. Just do not park and block the scale. If in doubt phone them and ask.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

He is from Burtonsville, MD according to his info. I believe he's referring to the weigh scales on I 95 at 495. In Maryland the scales are run by the Maryland State Police and they are not going to give you a welcome reception. I'm pretty sure there's a cat scale in Jessup a few miles north of his location.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:37 AM   #6
Frisbeekev

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
He is from Burtonsville, MD according to his info. I believe he's referring to the weigh scales on I 95 at 495. In Maryland the scales are run by the Maryland State Police and they are not going to give you a welcome reception. I'm pretty sure there's a cat scale in Jessup a few miles north of his location.
Those scales and the one on I 70 are the ones I was talking about. Thanks for the info. I will look into the on ed in jessup.
Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:52 AM   #7
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbeekev View Post
This is a silly question I am sure, but here it goes. I know you can weigh your rig at a truck stop on their scales. I was wondering if you can use those random truck scales on the side of the highway or do they frown upon that? Also would It get me the weights i want (tongue weight, trailer weight, truck weight, and combined weight. I know (at least near me) the state police sometimes search vehicles there, which would be a pain. That is all I have near me though and I want to get the weights of my unit. Thanks
You might also try your local landfill if one is nearby. That's what I use and it's free.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:04 AM   #8
cookinwitdiesel

I made this to help me keep track of the weights I want and how to position the rig on the CAT scale pads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck Scale Plans.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	19804  
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
CWtheMan

Just scroll down to page #47 in the following reference and read all about it.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...TruckTires.pdf

Your trailer's owner's manual will have the basic information. The generic Keystone one referenced below has the info on page #23.

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/914...anual-2019.pdf

Here is some info about CAT scales.

https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #10
linux3

I just went to a local junk yard, excuse me, metals recycle depot and they let me weigh the truck and camper and then just the truck for free. Subtract b from a.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #11
Tireman9

If you are going to make the effort to do the right thing. I suggest at least once get to a scale where you can get the side to side weights of the RV. Not all RVs are near 50/50. I have a number of posts on my blog about RV Tire safety on where and how to learn your actual weights.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #12
Bbqguy

Weighting with CAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Just scroll down to page #47 in the following reference and read all about it.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...TruckTires.pdf

Your trailer's owner's manual will have the basic information. The generic Keystone one referenced below has the info on page #23.

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/914...anual-2019.pdf

Here is some info about CAT scales.

https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/
Did my rig here in Yuba City California, which I know is a long ways from where you will be around, but worked will and cost me $11.00
It did a great job of telling me where my weight was.
I also call them with a question and their support folks where very helpful.
Bbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #13
xrated

Here is a link to an excellent website that will help you tremendously....
http://fifthwheelst.com/

When you click on the link above and the page opens, look at the top of the page and select the "4 Step Weight Safety Plan". The dropdown list will show four steps. Start at step one and go through at least three of them, and probably read the fourth step to make sure that your tires are up to the load range/capacity that they need to be.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:56 PM   #14
ljp

Viewed video on proper trailer hook-up and was not aware plug-in circuit testers used in this video were available. After viewing the video we ordered a tester from Amazon.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:06 AM   #15
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post
Viewed video on proper trailer hook-up and was not aware plug-in circuit testers used in this video were available. ...
Where on the site did you find this video? There's a lot there to search through. Thanks.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote