Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Will RAM 1500 be adequate for Passport 2200

Towing and carrying (payload) are two completely different things.

Towing is how much you can drag down the road/up the hill.

Carrying is how much you can put IN the truck.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #22
Logan X

The max tow number they give you in their tow chart is for the dry weight of your truck. In reality you will never drive your truck at that weight, especially if you are going camping. You should plan that your gross vehicle weight will be close to or at your max gross vehicle weight rating (or over). You aren’t supposed to exceed the gross combined weight rating, which is 13800 lbs for your truck.

13800 LB GCWR-6900lb GVWR =6900 LB actual towing capacity

The number on the tow chart is for marketing and is not reality.

I think if you subtract the dry vehicle weight from the GCWR you will get the 8000lb tow capacity number they list.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #23
CampNBrew2

My truck is a 14' Hemi Quad Cab Big Horn 4x4 with the same axle ratio. I put the helper airbags inside the coil springs but only run 10-15psi in them.

I used to tow an Attitude FK19 which was supposed to have a dry weight of 4800. Its GVRW was 10k but I never loaded that heavy. At max a few dirt bikes and some fuel and water for dry camping. The Ram towed it much better than the old 5.4 Expedition did. Did a 3k mi road trip before we sold it and no issues.

Now we have a Premier 22RBPR (Thiiiis close to buying the same 2200RWE as you. Loved the layout, hated the trifold bed in the one available). This trailer has a similar dry weight but wow it feels way lighter than the toy hauler. Sails up hills and my mileage is at least 2mpg better. I dont need any air in the airbags either. The hitch spring bars carry the tongue load easily. I'm thinking the toy hauler was a wee bit heavier than I thought. I know, I know, I should have weighed it

So long story short, from someone with virtually the same truck and a similar trailer: watch your loading and I think the truck will be fine for your needs.
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #24
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Supposedly, the door stickers are "vehicle specific" and should not be off by more than a few pounds. Why yours is 440 pounds off ?????
Factory rating has no gas in the tank. 26 gallons can make that difference up quick.

I have a 2018 Ram at the same spec as the OP pulling a Bullet 220RBI. No issues whatsoever, we've towed it from VA to CO and VA to FL in addition to local trips. Running a Blue Ox Sway Pro and airlift 1000 bags in it @ 20psi. The 1500 are sprung to make the car owners happy so they drag tail badly with load.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #25
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Factory rating has no gas in the tank. 26 gallons can make that difference up quick.
That is not the way I understand the way these numbers are rated.

Payload is typically GVWR - Curb weight. Curb weight is figured with all fluids topped off, including gasoline(no passengers).
Old 01-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #26
brodiegg

I owned a Ram 1500 and bought a trailer that was easily under the max towing of the ram, but the payload was only 1000 pounds, so with a tongue weight of 850 and 300 lbs of passengers we were toast. so check the tongue weight of your trailer and open the drivers door and see the payload and try and not go above it.
brodiegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:31 PM   #27
WJQ

I have a 2015 Ram Big Horn with Hemi. My box is 5.7 but that is a minor difference. You should check with the dealer but my tow rating is around 10,700 lbs. I just bought a Cougar a little larger than your trailer (24XXX) and thus heavier. I was very apprehensive as I already owned the truck and did not want to go to a 3/4 ton.

I have not read the other responses but I can tell you my truck tows fine so far. I think you are looking at the same powertrain I have. It is winter in Utah and has been for two months so I have really towed all hills but based on what I did tow, there was minimal notice of the trailer being behind me.

One caveat, I towed it home dry so it will have 1500 to 2000 extra lbs loaded for a total of 7500 lbs or so. I usually drove my previous motorhome with minimal fresh water and always tried to dump the grey & black water before I went home. Good luck.
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #28
LT Johns

I had Ram 1500 for TT about same specs. Truck will be fine with a good weight distribution/ anti sway setup like Equalizer.
But that being said I now have a Chevy 2500HD, more confident in high winds, but also thinking 5th wheel soon.
LT Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #29
RMC

Thanks everybody for your feedback.

We've decided to purchase the vehicle and try it for a season. If it does not cut it we can trade it in for something more powerful next winter. It is likely that our normal loaded weight of the trailer will be 6000 lbs and the tow rating of the truck is 8060. We just have to be careful to not to load too much stuff.

I checked all the numbers and as long as we stay within the weight limits for the trailer and payload of the truck we will not exceed the GCWR of the truck.

It already has 8 ply tires so we're good to go.
RMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #30
Buckeyexx

Will RAM 1500 be adequate for Passport 2200

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4307.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	527.4 KB
ID:	19842 Nothing to worry about. Very similar to the same setup I have. Mine is the passport 239ml. You will have no issues with that truck as long as you get a good weight distribution hitch. Went to Gatlinburgh TN this past summer with it so it got a good taste of driving into mountains and didn’t miss a beat.

I used to pull mine with the wife’s grand Cherokee with the hemi and it did great but it was just a bit on the small side and would be pushed around by the wind.
Buckeyexx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport