Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2019, 01:56 AM   #1
Nomadicchefs

Shared water connections

The frost free spigot at our site has been locked off due to a major leak in it that hasn't been fixed yet. The owners had us use the one at the site next to ours. Now there is another camper in that spot and the owners put a Y connect at the spigot for us to share it. This is going to significantly reduce our water pressure right? I'm assuming it's going to, but not sure. We got an oxygenics shower head for Christmas and installed this evening and it's no better than the tiny factory installed one. I just assumed it was because we have to share with our neighbors?
Nomadicchefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:47 AM   #2
Pull Toy

Depending on the campground's water pressure you may not notice a difference. If you do at all, it will only be when you are both using water at the same time.

I would be more concerned about the possibility of a "back flush' event.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:18 AM   #3
Eastham

You could just fill your water tank and use the pump to see if you get better pressure to use the new shower head.i have one and it made a big difference in the shower.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Your water pressure will depend on the campground's water pressure and if the other person is using his water. You sound like the pressure is low; do you have one of those cheap pressure regulators on the line? That could be it or it could be the campground. I always carry a water pressure gauge with me to see what the incoming pressure is. As far as the oxygenics head, I installed one and removed it after the first use. It didn't improve anything and I didn't like the positioning at all. Backflow from the other trailer was mentioned; you may want to get a screw on preventer at the hardware store and place on your side of the Y just to be safe.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #5
Nomadicchefs

I apologize for sounding like such a newbie, but what do you mean by back flow?
Old 01-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
travelin texans

Not sure how you could get back flow plus the back flow preventer will only restrict the flow even more especially if using the el cheapo restrictor with it. Generally if there's a bfp where we park I remove it, if possible, to connect my "regulator" then put the bfp back on when we leave.
I think I'd do as mentioned & fill the fresh water tank & use from there til the park repairs your faucet.
As for the Oxygenics head, we love ours, we've actually used it on 3 rvs so far.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicchefs View Post
Backflow would be if/when a vacuum of some sort is created upstream and then pulls the water out of the water lines back into the water system. In you case you aren't the supply but if a vacuum were to occur it "might" be possible that contaminated water from something could flow through that Y and into your hose; maybe not out your faucets but into the hose. Not likely, but.....

If you wanted to be really safe go to Home Depot and get 2 of these

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIG-100-...-D45/100141547

and put one on each side of the Y to protect you both (to protect you it would go on their side of the Y and vice versa) My only concern is that since it sounds like they may already have a water issue at the campground repairs could take place that make the likelihood of a vacuum upstream possible. There may be a preventer on the faucet feeding the Y, if so that would probably negate the need for any of it - it would probably be a brass fitting screwed on the end of the faucet with a set screw and the Y screwed onto it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:35 AM   #8
bobbecky

There should already be a back flow preventer/check valve built in to the water hose connection on the trailer, so you probably don't need another valve. The built in valve is what keeps water from exiting that connection when you don't have a hose connected and are using your water pump with water from your tank.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:16 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

A hypothetical: What would happen if the neighbor sharing the "Y" connector left his black tank flush hose connected to the "Y" and his black tank flush back flush valve wasn't working? Would/could the OP turning on water in his trailer cause a "venturi effect" at his part of the "Y", pulling contents of his neighbors black tank flush hose into his water supply?????

I would prefer not sharing a "Y" connector if possible, but if forced to do so, I'd have a backflow on both sides of the "Y" output to protect both supply hoses from each other. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:02 PM   #10
travelin texans

The black flush line also has a back flow device usually up very high so that shouldn't be an issue either, but as they say "crap occurs!".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:09 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The black flush line also has a back flow device usually up very high so that shouldn't be an issue either, but as they say "crap occurs!".
Which is why I posed my hypothetical: What would happen if the neighbor sharing the "Y" connector left his black tank flush hose connected to the "Y" and his black tank flush back flush valve wasn't working?

Maybe it wouldn't happen, maybe it could happen, maybe it will happen ???
When it comes to relying on "other people's stuff to be in working order".... I found out long ago, it's probably easier to just go buy one than to borrow one from the neighbor. By the time he rummages around, finds it, tries to get it working and I wait/help all that to happen, I could have gone to ACE, bought one, fixed whatever I was fixing and been drinking an after work beverage....

Does anyone really trust the neighbor (many like some on this forum) who say they "just pulled that damn leaking plastic valve off and bought a couple of elbows at Lowe's to replace it. Enough people have "bragged" about disabling their black tank flush anti-siphon valve that I wouldn't count on the neighbor to have his in working condition..... Granted, the chances of him leaving it connected to the water supply "Y" are remote, but then hopefully "drinking crappy water" is remote also.....

As you say, "Crap Happens"..... I don't want it in my fresh water system. Sounds like you don't either......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #12
bobbecky

If you extend the sharing of water connections, in a park, we are all sharing a common water system because all the plumbing is connected to common source. That is why many municipalities require parks to have those little backflow preventers on the water spigots.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #13
Global Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicchefs View Post
When you consume one to many chalupas at the chuck wagon dinner, you can expect a certain level of back flow at inconvenient nocturnal timeframe.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:55 PM   #14
Nomadicchefs

Thanks for the replies. The camper we're sharing the water with are friends of ours so working together to get back flow prevented is no problem. I just wasn't sure what kind of issues could occur from us sharing, but now I know. Thanks everyone!!
Old 01-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #15
Cracker

The only way a backflow preventer will protect you from the “what ifs” is if it is located at the Y on your neighbor’s hose. A preventer on your side only protects your neighbor.

Tags
water