Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #21
dirt33

I also searched high and low for an end-to-end battery box to hold two GC2 six volt batteries. I have the unit pictured in both links above, that is the same box in both. It is solid, light, and satisfactory to me. It was spendy, yes.

Here is a link to the item directly on All Battery's website, for a bit cheaper price than the ebay link from their store. The ebay link does say $69.00 and free shipping. I paid $71.61 through All Battery themselves for the item and shipping to TX.

http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...cfm/4,576.html
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #22
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

New Converter time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone.

I contacted WFCO and they sent me a return authorization # for the defective unit. The trailer was 2 years old the 19th of March.

After some more research and the suggestions I received from members here I think I will go ahead and get the PD replacement main board that also includes the remote display/controller. I am not sure I want to fool with shipping the WFCO back and keeping it as a spare... the PD unit comes with a 3 year warranty... Maybe I should offer it up to anyone that wants a replacement, cheap?

Now I need to find a new battery box that will hold 2 X GC2 batteries - end 2 end, the existing space should accommodate that, any recommendations there?

Battery and box shopping I go, thanks again everyone.

-Brian

I have this: http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...cfm/4,576.html

But not the end-to-end version, I have the side-by-side version.

The box is very nice and includes a lid.

Those boxes are tall enough for the taller Trojans. I run T105s but the taller ones will fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #23
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfixer03 View Post
The only easy way to fit mine were end to end as well. I searched high and low, not many choices. I bought this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2721946...&ul_noapp=true

I wasn't crazy about white, but it is pretty thick and stout. I'm happy with it. I did just see this one as well, it's a bit more $$:

http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/dur...cI5hoCbRnw_wcB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt33 View Post
I also searched high and low for an end-to-end battery box to hold two GC2 six volt batteries. I have the unit pictured in both links above, that is the same box in both. It is solid, light, and satisfactory to me. It was spendy, yes.

Here is a link to the item directly on All Battery's website, for a bit cheaper price than the ebay link from their store. The ebay link does say $69.00 and free shipping. I paid $71.61 through All Battery themselves for the item and shipping to TX.

http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...cfm/4,576.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
I have this: http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...cfm/4,576.html

But not the end-to-end version, I have the side-by-side version.

The box is very nice and includes a lid.

Those boxes are tall enough for the taller Trojans. I run T105s but the taller ones will fit.
Thanks folks, I had found that box as well as a diamond plate version (which I did not even price). I am surprised there are not more choices.

White won't be too bad, since the propane tank cover is also white.

How are you guys mounting them and how does the cover attach?

I looked at batteries today, Costco sells a 210 Amp hour interstate battery for around $90 and batteries plus has a 230 Amp hour Duracell for $109, and they are offering a 10% internet discount, bringing it closer to the Costco price for a little higher capacity.

I guess I will have some work to do in a few days.

Thanks again for the support, this place is truly a treasure.

-Brian
Old 04-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #24
dirt33

Quote:

How are you guys mounting them and how does the cover attach?

-Brian
The cover doesn't attach at all, it just sits on the base, with about a one inch lip holding it in place. I have the box sitting in the angle iron channel that the previous single battery box sat in. The channel on my TT houses this dual battery box perfectly, with less than 1/2" to spare width-wise and less than an inch length-wise. The weight of the two batteries in the box plants the box in that channel pretty solidly, to the point that I have to give it nearly all my strength to move the box back and forth within the 1/2" to 1" gaps. Currently, I am just using one battery strap ran around and under the box and angle iron, to keep the lid from coming off, and to keep the entire box from jumping up out of the channel. But, I don't really like that I cannot pull the battery strap through its loop/latch tight enough for my liking. So, I plan to either replace the battery strap with a ratchet strap, or perhaps incorporate some angle iron/eye hooks/bolts welded to the lower channel through which I would run a locking cable of some sort. But, I really doubt that I will get ambitious enough to do that, and will likely settle instead for a ratchet strap around the box.

For batteries, I went with two Duracell 6 volt from Sam's Club. I have boondocked with them one night so far, and voltage only dropped from 12.7 to 12.5 over a span of 18 hours, while using all equipment in the trailer "as normal." I also have run several tests at home with the shore power turned off, and have observed the batteries lose only 0.1 volt over the course of 48-72 hours (albeit with fairly minimal usage). Can't rate the longevity of these batteries yet of course, but so far I am pleased with their performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0428.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	12219   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	12220  
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:00 AM   #25
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

New Converter time?

Here is what I did:

Name:	IMG_1251.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	12224Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1252.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	12225Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1253.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	12226

Mine just sits there. I attach the lid with bungee cords.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:41 PM   #26
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Here is what I did:
Mine just sits there. I attach the lid with bungee cords.
That is a nice looking frame, did you build it or was it already there?
My frame is not wide enough to support the batteries in that configuration.

I put my internet buying finger to work and ordered 2 X 230 AH Duracell GC2, from batteries Plus with the local pickup option, a PD4655MBA converter from Best Converter and the end 2 end battery box that dirt33 is using.

2 batteries $253 and I get $36 back when I bring in my old ones
converter $205, including shipping
box $68, including shipping

So, for under $500 I have a new, more robust, 12 volt system.

I also boxed up the WFCO to send back in... I'll keep the replacement as a spare or re-install it if I ever trade this trailer in.

Thanks for all the guidance and suggestions.

-Brian
Old 04-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #27
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
That is a nice looking frame, did you build it or was it already there?

My frame is not wide enough to support the batteries in that configuration.

I put my internet buying finger to work and ordered 2 X 230 AH Duracell GC2, from batteries Plus with the local pickup option, a PD4655MBA converter from Best Converter and the end 2 end battery box that dirt33 is using.

2 batteries $253 and I get $36 back when I bring in my old ones

converter $205, including shipping

box $68, including shipping

So, for under $500 I have a new, more robust, 12 volt system.

I also boxed up the WFCO to send back in... I'll keep the replacement as a spare or re-install it if I ever trade this trailer in.

Thanks for all the guidance and suggestions.

-Brian

The lower frame that the batteries sit on is factory, however I had concerns about the welds holding up to an additional 80 lbs or so. So... I fabricated the top brace that attaches to brackets that are bolted to the tongue. I didn't want to weld on the tongue so it is just bolted on.

That upper frame is just tight-fitting around the box (which is why paint has scraped off the box). If the bottom frame gives way, the upper one will hold.

Here is what it looks like out of the camper. Turns out it made a nice carrying handle too.

Name:	IMG_1250.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	12237

Old 04-09-2017, 07:20 AM   #28
B-O-B'03

Quote:
The lower frame that the batteries sit on is factory, however I had concerns about the welds holding up to an additional 80 lbs or so. So... I fabricated the top brace that attaches to brackets that are bolted to the tongue. I didn't want to weld on the tongue so it is just bolted on.

That upper frame is just tight-fitting around the box (which is why paint has scraped off the box). If the bottom frame gives way, the upper one will hold.

Here is what it looks like out of the camper. Turns out it made a nice carrying handle too.

Attachment 12237
Very nice, my factory frame will only allow the batteries to be placed end to end.

Where did you get that jumper cable that is tying them together?

It looks nice and beefy.

Thanks,

-Brian
Old 04-10-2017, 06:33 AM   #29
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Very nice, my factory frame will only allow the batteries to be placed end to end.

Where did you get that jumper cable that is tying them together?

It looks nice and beefy.

Thanks,

-Brian

I got that cable from the place I bought the batteries. I plan to replace it with a heavier gauge but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #30
Jeepshots

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but since ya'll are doing the 12-v to 6-v x2 battery conversion, i'm compelled to ask why? Is 6v batteries more "deep-cycle" than their 12v cousins? Is it simply to gain greater capacity?
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #31
Jetfixer03

I'm not an expert, but people generally upgrade to a 'true deep cycle' for more amp hours and longer life. Regarding 12v vs 6v, it looks to me like you can go 2x12v's in parallel (like trojan 27tmx's) or 2x6v's in series (like trojan t105's). In both cases you'd have similar AH capacity and cycle life, so I'm not sure if one has an advantage over the other. The two 12's would weigh a bit less. Keep in mind though, we're talking 'true deep cycle' 12v batteries, not an 'RV' battery. I think the 6v's are more readily available, that may be one reason for the popularity. If you REALLY have deep pockets Lithium batteries (LiFePO4) are a whole other level of performance, but that's another topic.

As far as cables, I just upgraded all my cabling and got it from http://http://www.bestboatwire.com/2...ed-by-the-foot.
I've worked with aircraft wiring for 30 years, and I felt the quality of wire, terminals, and workmanship was good, and their prices are the best I've found. If you're comparing prices make sure you pay attention to whether they are tinned or not so that you're comparing apples to apples.

I just finally powered my system up today after chipping away at the work for a few weeks. No smoke!
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:10 AM   #32
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but since ya'll are doing the 12-v to 6-v x2 battery conversion, i'm compelled to ask why? Is 6v batteries more "deep-cycle" than their 12v cousins? Is it simply to gain greater capacity?

Generally speaking...
two 6v golf cart batteries (in my case, Trojan T105), provide more AH (amp hours) than a good single 12 volt battery. In some cases A LOT more AH. In addition, 6v golf cart batteries (especially Trojan T105) have a proven track record for their durability and high number of drain-and-charge cycles.

For me, I didn't even have a "good" 12v battery -- it was a basic marine/RV battery which is not a true deep cycle. I was going to get a new battery so the decision had to be made. My existing battery box frame/mount was the perfect size for a dual 6v box. The choice was an easy one.

As part of the upgrade, I also replaced my WFCO converter with a new Progressive Dynamics converter with the "Charge Wizard" (do they even sell converters without the charge wizard?) and pendant. After paying attention to battery drain and converter charging cycles, I am very pleased with the combination.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #33
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
I am looking for both, greater capacity and longevity.

The dealer installed a single, group 24, interstate marine/RV battery when I bought the trailer, I added a second after I got it home, because we tend to dry camp a lot.

I am not sure of the amp hour capacity of them, but I am fairly sure it was less than I will be getting with the 230AH Duracell GC2 batteries I bought and I paid aboutt as much for the 12v unit as one of the GC2.

My converter was not working correctly, I think the 12v batteries were affected, most likely sulfated, so I am replacing everything.

The GC2 batteries are true deep cycle units and the factory rails on the camper will accommodate them end to end, with a new box that I ordered.

-Brian
Old 04-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #34
Jeepshots

gotcha. I seem to remember golf carts running around all day long out on the course. Don't know if a 12v could do all-day runs.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:17 AM   #35
B-O-B'03

I figured I would post an update.

I installed the progressive Dynamics converter, it was very simple and fit right into the space where the WFCO converter was, the electrical connections were the same as the old unit as well. This is definitely a beefier unit and it has 2 cooling fans on it, VS the single fan on the WFCO. The remote monitor was mounted on the pantry wall, just above the monitor for the EMS.

I neglected to take any pictures of the installation process but it was fairly straight forward.

I also installed a new battery box and 2 X GC2 batteries, in an end-2-end configuration, which fit into the existing space perfectly.

The old converter was shipped back to WFCO, who shipped me back a new replacement unit, under warranty.

I have a brand new WFCO-8955-MBA, if anyone needs one

All in, including shipping the old converter back, it was around $500... money well spent I am thinking.

-Brian
Old 05-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #36
W902

Brian - interested in your spare converter. PM price and info. Thanks!
W902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #37
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by W902 View Post
Brian - interested in your spare converter. PM price and info. Thanks!
PM sent

Thanks,

-Brian

Tags
converter