Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodiegg View Post
Am a newbie but got confused with all the controversies about propane tanks open while driving. So I turn the refer to electric when towing
Just as well turn it to off while towing as on electric it's not running, won't run til you plug into a power source.
Been towing rvs for 40+ years with the fridge set to "auto" & running on LP while traveling, never had a problem.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:43 AM   #22
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Just as well turn it to off while towing as on electric it's not running, won't run til you plug into a power source.

Been towing rvs for 40+ years with the fridge set to "auto" & running on LP while traveling, never had a problem.

Unless it’s a 3 way fridge.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Highly doubtful! Not too many of them out there.
They didn't say what rv they have, but if it's a residential fridge they don't need to do anything while traveling it should automatically switch the inventor running off a bank of batteries.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #24
DocP

I'm currently at a campground in Myrtle Beach. While enroute, I had my Garmin GPS set to Motorhome - it tried to take me around the 2 tunnels in Virginia on interstate 77, which would have added an hour to my trip. I ignored the GPS, but as I approached each tunnel I got repeated warnings in red on the screen indicating that propane was prohibited in the tunnels. I know that you are supposed to turn the tanks off while going through them, but never have.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Our last 3 way refrigerator was a 3.5 cuft Dometic in a pickup camper. If anyone happens to have one and decides to stop at McDonalds for lunch and happens to forget to turn it off, when they get back in their tow vehicle to continue the trip, might need a set of jumper cables to get going.... Don't ask me how I know, but trust me when I say that a battery won't last long when the thermistor calls for the battery to heat the chimney on an absorption refrigerator......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #26
geeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodiegg View Post
Am a newbie but got confused with all the controversies about propane tanks open while driving. So I turn the refer to electric when towing
Electric is when plugged into the shoreline. In this position, your fridge will not run going down the road. (unless you have a really really long extension cord).
Some older rigs many years ago had 3 way fridges but most today are only propane with 12 volt ignition or 120 volt operation. No more of the 12 volt only operation.

Propane is fine. As you see here, thousands of campers go down the road every day.

At least the beer is cold when I get there!!!!!
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #27
tdcolby

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
I'm currently at a campground in Myrtle Beach. While enroute, I had my Garmin GPS set to Motorhome - it tried to take me around the 2 tunnels in Virginia on interstate 77, which would have added an hour to my trip. I ignored the GPS, but as I approached each tunnel I got repeated warnings in red on the screen indicating that propane was prohibited in the tunnels. I know that you are supposed to turn the tanks off while going through them, but never have.
On or off doesn't matter. Propane is PROHIBITED in tunnels and some bridges. You are endangering many lives by ignoring that prohibition.
tdcolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdcolby View Post
On or off doesn't matter. Propane is PROHIBITED in tunnels and some bridges. You are endangering many lives by ignoring that prohibition.
Two 20# =10 gals, 2-30# =14 gals, 2- 40#=18 gals of propane, 30+ gals of gasoline or diesel fuel, we all better stay out of tunnels & off bridges especially if the driver next to us is smoking!!
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #29
gtstang462002

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdcolby View Post
Actually it varies from tunnel to tunnel. The 895 and 95 tunnels here in Baltimore prohibit propane. The tunnels on 13 going over the mouth of the bay don't have any restrictions posted. 664 in Norfork, VA just requires you to pull over and turn your tanks off. You can turn them back on once you get to the other side.

You should always check your route for those restrictions as part off your trip plan, and don't rely on forums to give you accurate information.
gtstang462002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #30
t001xa22

For what it is worth: I recently set up a dedicated DC/AC inverter on my TT. I fed it from a dedicated 12vdc power line from my truck, and it is plugged in next to my 7-way main plug. The inverter is mounted inside my storage pod, and it is set up with an AC cord that plugs into the refrig coil heater, temporarily taking the place of the line from the trailer inverter. In this way, I am running AC power at all times, and don't have to worry about any propane issues while in transit.

Forgot to mention: this system is in reference to a Norcold N306 refrig unit.
t001xa22 is offline   Reply With Quote