Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
CV66

RVTrip Wizard or Something Else?

We're looking for a RV trip planner that can be used on a computer/tablet or phone. Do any of you use the RVTrip Wizard that is advertised on this forum? If so, is it worth the $30+? I've used AllStays in the past and it seems to work well. Just looking for other options. If you've got one you really like to use, please fill me in! Thanks
CV66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:57 AM   #2
rjsurfer

I have Rv Trip Wizard running on my Android tablet and find it does a good job of trip planning but its inability to transfer turn by turn directions to Google Maps on my phone makes it useless.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:19 AM   #3
fatcatzzz

RV Trip Wizard is a lot of planner for $40 a year. Is it perfect No, but they are putting new features in all the time. As for the turn-by turn to your phone, I just retrace the route in Google Maps then send to my phone. Hopefully this will be added soon so it can be done directly from the app.
Your mileage may vary.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:45 AM   #4
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatzzz View Post
<clip> I just retrace the route in Google Maps then send to my phone. <clip>
Is there something "special" you need to do to get your modified turn-by-turn directions transferred to the phone? When I try it I get a message indicating (something like) only the original Google route is sent, not anything that is modified.

Thanks.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
GeekSquadOfUn

I agree, for $39 a year, it ain't bad.

I have yet to try the transfer options- Maps and GPS.

It works in any browser (Chrome, Edge, Safari, Firefox, etc) making it somewhat universal.

A pet peeve of mine is that it does not support the Metric system. I travel across all of North America...
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
Twisties

What I do is add multiple stops on the phone to try to direct the route. However, there are two primary reasons I own a standalone GPS, and one is that it's pretty impossible to get a complex route onto the phone with accuracy. The other is that the phone needs a data signal to plan a new route or change a route.

So, not having traveled in an RV yet, what I've done for our motorcycle trips is plan the route on Google Maps. Recreate it in Garmin (Basecamp), and transfer it to the GPS.

What I expect to happen now that we are moving to the RV is to use an RV travel app such as this thread is about, then Basecamp, then GPS.

Some of these apps allow you to put in your vehicle height and weight, then warn you of restrictions on a route?
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:12 AM   #7
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisties View Post
What I do is add multiple stops on the phone to try to direct the route. However, there are two primary reasons I own a standalone GPS, and one is that it's pretty impossible to get a complex route onto the phone with accuracy. The other is that the phone needs a data signal to plan a new route or change a route.

So, not having traveled in an RV yet, what I've done for our motorcycle trips is plan the route on Google Maps. Recreate it in Garmin (Basecamp), and transfer it to the GPS.

What I expect to happen now that we are moving to the RV is to use an RV travel app such as this thread is about, then Basecamp, then GPS.

Some of these apps allow you to put in your vehicle height and weight, then warn you of restrictions on a route?
I also toured with my motorcycle for years.

Biggest difference now is that you have an active co-pilot (assuming you have a travel companion...) who has access to a bunch to tools while you're driving.... phone, traffic info, iPad, books, etc. On my bike, she'd just say: Are we there yet?

Trust me, it ain't the same at all and you will get to test the strength of your couple

The best GPS is the one you use and both trust. In my case, it's a new head unit in my truck, essentially a tablet/radio combo that runs GPS apps.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I don't get why some folks are so apposed to using the tool that was made specifically for the task. I put the truck's info, the trailer's info into the GPS once and never again unless there's a change in vehicle.

I put the destination the destination in and done! It takes me there, routes me around low bridges, tunnels with LP restrictions, and traffic jams or warns me of traffic ahead. It warns me of traffic/speed cameras, upcoming tolls, state borders, and I can upload "points of interests" so I can easily find fuel, restaurants, roadside attractions, etc.

No phone signal required. No need to plan a route, then copy it to another platform or any other steps. Seems simple enough for my simple mind.

JMHO YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #9
Twisties

Which GPS, Marshall? I'll have to look, but I don't think ours has that capacity.
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

It's a Garmin. I think it's the Garmin RV 770 LMT-S RV GPS. It's been very reliable and has yet to take me on a "bad route".

I also subscribe to http://www.poi-factory.com for $20/yr to get updated red light and speed camera alerts. The site has a great deal of poi's (points of interests) waypoints that you can upload into the GPS.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:05 PM   #11
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
I have Rv Trip Wizard running on my Android tablet and find it does a good job of trip planning but its inability to transfer turn by turn directions to Google Maps on my phone makes it useless.

Ron W.
Just open the Trip in a browser and click the Wrench then Transfer to GPS
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:08 PM   #12
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV66 View Post
We're looking for a RV trip planner that can be used on a computer/tablet or phone. Do any of you use the RVTrip Wizard that is advertised on this forum? If so, is it worth the $30+? I've used AllStays in the past and it seems to work well. Just looking for other options. If you've got one you really like to use, please fill me in! Thanks
Perhaps I am learning something. I use AllStays to look up all kinds of info, but I have never seen a trip planner by them.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #13
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisties View Post

RVTripWizard allows for all the RV metrics, driving habits and send to GPS plus Clubs, road types etc. I think you can try it for free.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #14
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I don't get why some folks are so apposed to using the tool that was made specifically for the task. I put the truck's info, the trailer's info into the GPS once and never again unless there's a change in vehicle.

I put the destination the destination in and done! It takes me there, routes me around low bridges, tunnels with LP restrictions, and traffic jams or warns me of traffic ahead. It warns me of traffic/speed cameras, upcoming tolls, state borders, and I can upload "points of interests" so I can easily find fuel, restaurants, roadside attractions, etc.

No phone signal required. No need to plan a route, then copy it to another platform or any other steps. Seems simple enough for my simple mind.

JMHO YMMV
Yep, that's what an RV specific GPS will do. Use mune all the time. BUT for planning I use RV Trip Wizard and at times other tools. Different tools for different problems.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #15
Janet H
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
RVTripWizard allows for all the RV metrics, driving habits and send to GPS plus Clubs, road types etc. I think you can try it for free.
Trip Wizard Has a 30 day refund policy. If you try it and dislike it, ask for a refund. Trip Wizard is part of the RV Life family (same as this forum) and has come a long way in the past year. You should be able to sync trips to your smart phone - either to google maps or via the RVLife app. Instructions here: http://docs.rvtripwizard.com/home

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:07 AM   #16
RickReichert

For pre-trip planning I use an old version of Microsoft Streets and Trips on my laptop. This is pretty good for deciding where to stop for the night. During the trip I use a basic Garmin. I rarely travel east of the Mississippi River, so don't have to worry too much about low bridges, or overpasses. Garmin has routed me down side streets to dead ends adjacent to where I wanted to go, but only a couple of times. Now if I'm in a town I double-check Garmin with Google Maps.
RickReichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:53 AM   #17
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV66 View Post
I am not aware that AllStays is a trip planner, I use it to look up different things, they have several apps for several things to research. I use RV Trip planner as well as several other planning tools, I would never rely on just one. The obvious other one is google maps. I hate Basecamp so struggle to use my Garmin RV GPS for other than the RV features. I will probably fire up a Windows virtual machine on my Mac in order to run the predecessor to Basecamp cuz it worked well.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #18
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickReichert View Post
For pre-trip planning I use an old version of Microsoft Streets and Trips on my laptop. This is pretty good for deciding where to stop for the night. During the trip I use a basic Garmin. I rarely travel east of the Mississippi River, so don't have to worry too much about low bridges, or overpasses. Garmin has routed me down side streets to dead ends adjacent to where I wanted to go, but only a couple of times. Now if I'm in a town I double-check Garmin with Google Maps.
I wish I kept my Microsoft Streets and Trips. They discontinued it and now that I can run a virtual machine on my Mac I could run an older version of Windows Microsoft Streets and Trips on it. This was the best trip planner of all time. NOTHING does what it did, I have tried dozens of so called competitors. RV Trip planner is the 2nd best I have found so far.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #19
dsttexas

It truly is the best trip PLANNER available. I used MS Streets and Trips for years until they stopped updating it. And then used GoodSam's planner which was definitely better with all the campground info included. However, after looking into RV Trip Wizard I have been with it ever since. I can't remember all the reasons why as this was quite a while ago, but since then it has even gotten better. It's interface takes a little getting used to, but many videos and great user manual make it all worthwhile.

After getting all my fuel and overnight stops and any others planned out, I just enter the next stop coming up on my Android Maps, plug it into truck USB and let Google Maps take me there. Also played with Waze some too, pretty good. I always have my PC with me in RV, so if any major route changes are needed, just bring it up and do it.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:28 PM   #20
flrtrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

JMHO YMMV
What program are you speaking of?
flrtrader is offline   Reply With Quote