Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
hikeril

Ceiling Discoloration Avalanche 290RL

I have yellow spots on the ceiling that started showing up about two months ago. I contacting the dealership the unit was purchased from and they stated it is the puddy that was used to fill in the nail holes. On closer inspection I have determined that they are correct with their diagnosis which brings me to my questions.

1) The dealership said to use rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits to remove the puddy. I tried rubbing alcohol but feel their has to be a better way because it did not appear to be working. Have any of you experienced the discoloration and if so how did you remove it the puddy?

2) Why would keystone use puddy (dealership stated it is a white crayon used to fill in the holes) if they know there is a possibility of discoloration? I guess I am assuming they know based on the fact that the dealership knew exactly what was causing the discoloration.

The unit is a 2011 Avalanche 290RL purchased in 8/2011 although the unit was probably already about 4-6 months sitting on the dealer lot. I do not mind removing the marks if their is a good way to complete the task but I have to admit I would rather be camping than standing on a ladder scrubbing the ceiling.
hikeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

I use "Mr Clean Magic Eraser" on mine when they show up now and again. Very quick and works good. Mineral spirts leave a film that attracts dust and compounds the problem. It's nothing new and is common with all manufacturers. Funny thing, it does not happen to everyone. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Bushman512000

Yellow

I do not smoke but have been a smokers trailer they smell bad and are yellow all over but You can see the putty spots the most,they stand out lol.I now know to stay out side.And the Mr.Clean pads are great to clean with what are they made from?Hope You get the spots off..Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
Jay D

I have a 2010 and I have the same thing, but only in certain spots of the ceiling. Master bed room, kitchen area, and one or 2 spots in kids bunk.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
parkgirl

spots on ceiling

I noticed a spot on our master bedroom ceiling this past weekend and I was concerned because I thought perhaps its was a roof leak since we'd had a huge amount of rain. The spot was about three inches into the ceiling from the edge. I also noticed beads of moisture along the plastic edging around the ceiling in that area. Lots of moisture beading around the aluminum door frame as well.

I would actually be very happy if this mark is putty discoloration. There was obviously a lot of condensation happening (hot bedroom/cold outside) so maybe the putty discoloration happens when there is too much condensation? That would explain why it happens in some places and not others?

parkgirl
parkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

parkgirl -
If the interior of your RV is experiencing that much condensation, I would keep a close watch on it and try to keep as much air circulating as possible. Perhaps running a fan on low and/or keeping some vents or windows cracked open a bit might help. Do you also get condensation on your windows as well? This is sometimes normal but the moisture along the plastic ceiling edge is worth keeping an eye on.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
campingcpl

We have the same thing happening in our trailer. Noticed it starting to yellow last summer.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
Jay D

Not to change topics but, I get a lot of condensation on my windows and a little bit on top of the slide. I don't have any roof vents (except bathroom) should I just keep a window open a little.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
byrdr1

I have not experienced the yellow spots yet. BUT I do leave my bathroom vent open very little year round for the condensation. I have maxxair roof vent covers so this helps. BUT I have always kept the vent in the bathroom cracked. I would do the kitchen but need a 12 foot ladder to get to that one .
Speaking of kitchen vent. Why did Cougar only put a vent cover over the kitchen vent and not the bathroom vent or bedroom before I added second AC?
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote