Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
castelle

Montana 3750

Hey guys, I just joined the forum this morning - and I'm finding out all sorts of cool and informative stuff.

I just bought a 2011 Montana 3750 and I pick it up in a few days. My fiancee and I are really happy with our purchase and our first camping trip is scheduled for this weekend.

If anyone wants to chime in with do and dont's please do - its my first time pulling a 5th wheel (all others were standard bumper pull) and I'm a little nervous. I'll be pulling with a F250 4x4 diesel - everything is factory apart from the hitch in the bed.

We're excited about our purchase and I'm more than happy to hear any advice or comments concerning the 3750.

Thanks again guys
Chris
castelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Chris, Welcome to the forum. Great floorplan ..... you should be very comfortable in it. That is a lot of trailer for a ¾ ton truck. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

HEY CONGRADULATIONS ON YOUR NEW 5ER. SEE MY SIGNATURE. Hank is right that is a lot of camper for a 3/4 ton. i did tow it with a 2000 dodge 2500 td it worked it's but off! does the bathroom door on your unit have frosted or clear glass? if it's clear the world gets to watch you sit and read your paper. we put wall paper for windows on ours. you will love the layout best of luck and ask all the questions you like
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
castelle

Thanks guys, I hope I haven't bought too much trailer for the truck! I looked at truck specs and it says I can pull over 15000lbs with about 4000lbs of pin weight - with the Montana coming in at 12300lbs and 2400lbs pin weight I was thinking I'm ok - I can still back out of this deal if I need to but I really like the trailer.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
castelle

Yep - I think I'll have to be coving that window up....theres also clear glas into the master from the bathroom but seeing as its only her and I there shouldn't be any privacy issues.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
KanTC

Welcome to the forum Chris
The numbers you're quoting for the 5th wheel are the dry (empty) weights -- that's before 'anything'
is loaded into the trailer. Shipping Weight + Carrying Capacity = Gross (trailer) weight
http://www.keystone-montana.com/inde...50FL&year=2011

As the others have said... that's a lot of trailer for a ¾ ton truck.
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
castelle

I get that the dry weight is 12300lbs and it can carry about 3400 of weight which ironically puts it right at the rated max of the F250 diesel - I just doubt I'll hit the 3400 lbs of gear limit - for the most part I go to hook up sites and tow 'generally' on flat level freeway but I'm concerned about safety. I don't want to be the guy explaining to the cops or some poor dude on the road why I couldn't stop in time because my GVWR was too high. Unfortunately I just bought the truck so trading or changing just isn't an option. I guess my big question is am I unsafe at say 14000lbs (allows for some gear/food etc) or am I just pushing the vehicle hard to manage that size of load? I'm ok with pushing the vehicle but the safety element really has me worried now! Any input would be great guys!

Thanks
Chris
Old 09-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
Paddler

Chris,
The 4000 lbs of payload sounds a bit on the high side to me. On your driver's side door or door frame is the manufacturer's maximum weights for your truck. What is your trucks max payload? Depending on the body style, your payload could be less than 2600lbs. Don't put yourself in a under-trucked situation. It cost me $30K to upgrade my 2500 to a 3500.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
castelle

Absolutely right! I was reading the F350 specs, not the F250 - it appears I'm rated about 3000lbs. So I assume that the pin weight (approx 2300) has me well on the way to the 3000lb limit (am I right on that?) It would also mean that if I load the truck with fuel, people and add gear to the trailer that max weight rating would go up and possibly exceed the truck payload? As it happens I'll only have myself and one other person in the truck but I'm still concerned about safety.

Thanks again for you're comments! very very appreciative of you taking the time to point out the errors in my thinking! Great forum!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Jet Fixer

Castelle...For example....A 2008 F250 6.4 crew cab diesel, max 5th wheel tow capacity is 15,200 with 3:73 gears which is the only ratio offered that year.
20% of that for pin weight= 3000. Pin weight from Keystone is 2425 for an FL. You will be fine but air airbags will bring you back to level which is a little safer. Simply adding gear people etc does not add solely to your pin weight. Your trailer brakes will do the stopping.

Plenty of engine not enough spring. Airbags are probably in your future
Have fun!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #11
mhs4771

Chris, hop on over to the Montana Owners Forum (http://www.montanaowners.com/) and you'll find a wealth of info from other Montana owners. BTW any of the big three Diesel TV will pull a Montana, but its the pin weight that gets the 250/2500 owners in trouble.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #12
SAABDOCTOR

hi chris i posted yesterday. about your truck issues. i have 2 dodge diesels one 2500 and 1 3500 daully. i know you can make an argument as to why this is or isn't safe with the 3/4 ton truck. i am guilty of this. i did tow it once with the 2500 it pulled fine with the diesel it even stopped ok. it did sway a lot in mild winds in high winds it would most likely make my pants smell bad. crazy thing was the 2500 squatted less than the dually but the bigger truck never ever sways and the bigger engine tows much better. also untill you put the rig on the scales you are only quessing. just my 2 cents worth. p.s if you carry water the fresh tank is way up front so the pin weight will go way up too!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
castelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Fixer View Post
Castelle...For example....A 2008 F250 6.4 crew cab diesel, max 5th wheel tow capacity is 15,200 with 3:73 gears which is the only ratio offered that year.
20% of that for pin weight= 3000. Pin weight from Keystone is 2425 for an FL. You will be fine but air airbags will bring you back to level which is a little safer. Simply adding gear people etc does not add solely to your pin weight. Your trailer brakes will do the stopping.

Plenty of engine not enough spring. Airbags are probably in your future
Have fun!
So as a guide, 20% of trailer weight is about the maximum pin weight?
Chris
Old 09-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
castelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
hi chris i posted yesterday. about your truck issues. i have 2 dodge diesels one 2500 and 1 3500 daully. i know you can make an argument as to why this is or isn't safe with the 3/4 ton truck. i am guilty of this. i did tow it once with the 2500 it pulled fine with the diesel it even stopped ok. it did sway a lot in mild winds in high winds it would most likely make my pants smell bad. crazy thing was the 2500 squatted less than the dually but the bigger truck never ever sways and the bigger engine tows much better. also untill you put the rig on the scales you are only quessing. just my 2 cents worth. p.s if you carry water the fresh tank is way up front so the pin weight will go way up too!
Awww...jeez....it sounds like this is getting to be downright dangerous with the swaying. I had a previous 27ft toyhauler that I pulled without sway control and it was miserable. With sway control it was great....worked like a charm but I don't want to go back to 'smell bad pants' - turns out my truck does have airbags but it seems that they are not working according to the guy who fitted the fifth wheel hitch into the bed. As its a used truck I have no idea on who installed or what manufacturer the airbag system came from in order to get a repair....any suggestions on this?

Thanks
Chris
Old 09-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
SAABDOCTOR

OTHERS WILL HOPEFULY GIVE YOU SUGGESTIONS ON THE AIR BAGS. BUT FIRESTONE MAKES THEM. AND TIRES ON YOUR TRUCK LOAD RANGE "E" load carefully and get it weighed and good luck
Old 09-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
castelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
OTHERS WILL HOPEFULY GIVE YOU SUGGESTIONS ON THE AIR BAGS. BUT FIRESTONE MAKES THEM. AND TIRES ON YOUR TRUCK LOAD RANGE "E" load carefully and get it weighed and good luck
I have E rated tires on the truck and the scales say I'm coming in at 8080lbs - any other things I should know/measure?? I'll look at getting the airbags operational today.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #17
Bushman512000

wow to heavy to long to bad!

You are realy pushing a 2/3 ton You should have a 1 ton You will have more tire on the road and much more safety for every one.Lots of people have to little truck and or to big of trailer.I had a 33' behind My old Power Joker 3/4 and was way over the edge for the truck .Gone now back to a smaller trailer different truck and better all around safety going down the road.Costly mistake I made in a hurry and not reading up on the weights load up all needed in trailer for the trip as in food,gear,water,fuel,adds up fast.Hope You make the right choice.Lots of them to make.Bushman camped for many years and many rigs...try to leave just Your foot prints where you camp for others to find...
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
Jet Fixer

How exactly does a 1 ton put more tire on the road than a 3/4 ton? Wow I notice you have 98 posts since joining last month!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #19
tileman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Fixer View Post
How exactly does a 1 ton put more tire on the road than a 3/4 ton?
Cause of DRW. But then again some are SRW I would not pull a big 5th wheel with out DRW.
That's just me.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #20
Bushman512000

more tires

Most 1 ton trucks have 2 tires on each side better make sure I say on the back end also lol.and I am recovering from a hospital stay so Have time to burn any thing more You want to know?I was on the old Keystone site also in 2003 then changed trailer make so now have a Cougar again Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote