Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
Lack of HP

Bed Pulling Away from Slide

Some time ago I read on the forum where some of you who own the Cougar 327res was having issues with the bed pulling away from the slide. I looked but could not find it. Someone fixed it with L-brackets somehow. If anyone remembers or have photos could you help me out. Dealer has helped me out twice, but there is not much to screw into, just a thin paneling. Thanks for any help you can give.
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #2
Ron

I was one of the originals poster of that issue, sorry no pics, I did use L brackets from the slide frame to the bed rails cutting away the carpet for solid installation. Also the screws on the rollers at the foot end of the bed kept bending so I installed a second roller each side. I loved the trailer since sold it needed more room. Happy Campin........Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Lack of HP

bed pulling away from slide

Ron, thanks for the reply. I do remember you posting now. If you don't mind replying what size L bracket did you use? When screwing into the floor what size screw if you remember. Sorry for all the questions, but I want to try and fix this once and for all. thanks again. Joe
Old 09-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
byrdr1

Pictures anyone??
I have the 327res and havent noticed this, but will be checking now.
What made you look or discover this problem. MY two year warranty runs out end of this month.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Lack of HP

bed pulling away from slide

I noticed mine the first time when the slide seemed to be wobbling when going in and out. then the bed would not go out with the slide on one side. Had to push it out. took it apart and noticed the screws had pulled out and were pulling out on the other side. My casters seem to be ok at this time. keeping my fingers crossed. Joe
Old 09-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
webslave

I first noticed when the slide went out, but, the bed didn't

I don't have pictures and it is a right royal PITA to get to them to take some, but... I used 1 1/2" "L" brackets and 5/8" wood screws to attach the bed's 2x bracing and 1/2" wood screws, to be safe, to attach to the plywood decking that forms the slide's base (so they wouldn't penetrate the plywood base). I used 4 on each side, and as Ron said, I cut the carpeting away (slots for the "L" bracket's base) so that there was direct wood contact. Rock solid now. Not real sure how Keystone figured that a few (3 if I remember correctly, maybe four) drywall thread screws through that Luan would drag a queen sized bed and frame back and forth without pulling out.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
byrdr1

I am in the camper now going to check this here thing out,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
Old 09-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lack of HP View Post
Ron, thanks for the reply. I do remember you posting now. If you don't mind replying what size L bracket did you use? When screwing into the floor what size screw if you remember. Sorry for all the questions, but I want to try and fix this once and for all. thanks again. Joe
The L brackets I think were 2" and got them at Home Depot, as far as the screw length, don't remember but make sure they do not go through the bottom of the slide. Never had a problem after that. How I notice a problem is when the bed was crooked in the bedroom . Happy Campin............Ron

Old 09-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lack of HP View Post
I noticed mine the first time when the slide seemed to be wobbling when going in and out. took it apart and noticed the screws had pulled out and were pulling out on the other side. Joe
OK watched the slide go in and out with remote. Noticed the wobbling Joe talked about. Took the mattress off and saw the screws pulled out on the front side of the slide. took the board off and saw a mess. back side of slide the screws in the wood had split the wood and the screws were not holding much of anything. I followed the instructions on here and it is fixed.
Used some white headed screws and wood screws for the fix with 3 brackets on each side no measurements just attached it all down and re-did the headboard. OH Yeah I forgot to look outside until I was done. Nothing through the walls. Blessing.. for mod and instructions. I have pictures & will post to my webshots(under the 327RES MODS page) of the before and after fix. (Done at 8pm 9-11-12)
randy
PS its so nice to have the camper beside the house and on a 30amp plug, Needed the AC...

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
Old 09-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
jimmy2

i just found this post a would like to add to this i found that my bed had pull away from the wall there is one more thing you should look at is frame felx i had a real bad felx promble ($10,000) i think that this was one of the biggest problem not to scare you but i thought that it was just the bed off the wall put it was because the pin box was going up and down about 4" to 5" as i was going down the road and the bed is right over the pin box
jimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
Ron

Wow Jimmy 4-5" that is alot of flex. I am haveing some frame flexing issues and our trailer is going in next month for that and other warranty things...

Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
jimmy2

Make sure you are there threw the hole thing and get a real good shop I love my old girl and I would never let her go but with that said keystone some time send not the best repaired guy to make these fix they will send some guy with a welder and there are so many post about how they have had it done many times take pic. of the hole thing the repaired shop I when to told the guy to get his truck out of there shop he caught my old girl on fire 2 times
Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
Ron

Thanks Jimmy for your concerns, I am very picky who works on my rigs, I wish I could have a local shop here fix it as they have done alot of work for us before for our business, that way I know it would be done right. I do intend on sticking around to see what is going on and what there solution is going to be.. Thanks Again.............Ron

Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
Jabber2Jake

Where's the pictures?
Jabber2Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
jimmy2

Unhappy

i do not no how to post pic here
Old 09-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
Bob Landry

I thought Keystone had a one year warranty.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote