Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
Family_5ers

Good 5th Wheel cover recommendation

Looking for an RV cover recommendation for a brand that you've used successfully for winter storage. We're in Michigan so looking for something weather suitable.
Current 5er: 2013 Laredo 335TG
Past 5er: 2001 Innsbruk 27FRKD

Family_5ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

I put an Adco cover on my last 5r for one season. It wore holes in the roofing in four places. Rolled it up, put it back in the bag, threw it on a shelf and it has kept that shelf very clean and dry for about eight years.
What I am trying to say is if your trailer will be exposed to windy conditions Don't cover it. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
jerseyphil

My dealer recommended putting a cover on the air conditioner. Anyone have thoughts on that?
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
Frdfan

[QUOTE=hankpage;49616] Rolled it up, put it back in the bag, threw it on a shelf and it has kept that shelf very clean and dry for about eight years.

LOL
Old 09-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
BMcCutcheon

I'm a bit confused on this one. I have used Adco covers on my last 3 units with absolutely no problems, but the hole rubbing post got my attention since I just paid 6K for a brand new roof.

I personally have had no problems with the covers I have owned. I have a brand new 3 layer, All Climate Designer Series cover that just went on Last Friday. I don't know if the problem was because of a flat roof. I have large vent covers on all 4 of my roof vents so it keeps the cover mostley away from the roof. just for the heck of it I decided to put 4 sand bags in areas where the cover might rub. It would be difficult fo me not to cover my roof after a neighbors tree dropped a limb on my roof and tore it last fall before I covered it. Not to mention berry stains from that same tree.

I called Adco and inquied about any complaints about roof damage and was told that they were unaware of any. I also checked with several friends that also use these covers and they did not have any issues as of now. So Im going to keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads up.
2007 Keystone Outback Sydney Edition Toy Hauler 31KFW
Firestone Air Bags
16K Drawtite Slider Fifthwheel, Superchip Max Tow
https://www.winkflash.com/photo/image...=327676264&z=0
BMcCutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMcCutcheon View Post
I'm a bit confused on this one. I have used Adco covers on my last 3 units with absolutely no problems, but the hole rubbing post got my attention since I just paid 6K for a brand new roof.

I personally have had no problems with the covers I have owned. I have a brand new 3 layer, All Climate Designer Series cover that just went on Last Friday. I don't know if the problem was because of a flat roof. I have large vent covers on all 4 of my roof vents so it keeps the cover mostley away from the roof. just for the heck of it I decided to put 4 sand bags in areas where the cover might rub. It would be difficult fo me not to cover my roof after a neighbors tree dropped a limb on my roof and tore it last fall before I covered it. Not to mention berry stains from that same tree.

I called Adco and inquied about any complaints about roof damage and was told that they were unaware of any. I also checked with several friends that also use these covers and they did not have any issues as of now. So Im going to keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads up.
Bill, I find it hard to believe that Adco has not heard about any roof damage from rubbing on the edges. Maybe they should read their own customer reviews. The sand bags sound like a great idea. I live in a very breezy area (less than a mile from the ocean) and no matter how I fastened the cover it would billow and rub on the edges where the roofing rolls to meet the side-wall. My wear points were at the highest part of the roof and the very rear. These four points wore through in one season. The trailer stayed clean and dry and the cover held up well. If you are not in a windy area and can keep the cover from moving then Adco makes a quality product. Again this is just my personal experience, Hank

This is a quote from Adco's own instructions .... so I guess they have seen roof damage. : DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN! OVER TIGHTENED STRAPS PULL THE COVER TOO TIGHT AND THE SEAMS CAN CAUSE FRICTION DAMAGE TO RUBBER ROOFS!
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I recommend a cover made of steel.... With a 14' high door.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
cathcartww

We had a cheapie non-woven cover on our first trailer. Loved the way it kept the trailer clean, kept bugs and critters out, and kept the UV off the fiberglass and decals. Never had any kind of rubbing damage at all. The cheapie cover only lasted 3 seasons before it just got weak and fell apart. We replaced it with a cover from CalMark that was custom made to our measurement from sunbrella woven fabric. Fit like a glove. Traded the trailer, and now have a new Calmark that also fits perfectly. Pricey, but I think it willl hold up a long time as it is nicely made of quality materials - in the USA by the way ...

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
rhagfo

I am at a cross roads, Las 5er had full metal roof no issues with rubbing.
DW wants to get a cover for the new (to us) 05 33' Copper Canyon just a bit uncertain, DW and I camp four seasons, but want to keep the most protection on the 5er when we aren't using it.
I am an ADCO fan, just uncertain with the rubber roof.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Like Hankpage, we also experienced wear on the rubber roof where it bends over along the edges. On our '08 Cougar, the roof and edges are pretty much a sharp right angle - not a gradual, rounded curve. This lends itself to excessive wear on those edges caused by the movement of the cover in the wind.
If you check your roof and carry out preventitive maintenence with regard to caulking, you shouldn't encounter any problems by not covering it.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
eds451

I bought a cover off e-nay right after we got our new to us 07 Cougar. Wanted to keep it clean..etc..etc. It lasted not quite 2 years and putting it on and off was a b(ear). I cut some 1/2 inch foam radiant barrier to fit in the windows and vents to keep the sun/heat out. I DO have tires covered to keep them from weathering.

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
If you check your roof and carry out preventitive maintenence with regard to caulking, you shouldn't encounter any problems by not covering it.
Yes. A cared-for EDPM roof will probably outlast the rest of the unit, covered or not. As several have mentioned covers are a mixed bag and have the potential to cause more damage than they prevent, sometimes in unexpected ways. They are a pretty iffy proposition in my book.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #13
Family_5ers

Appreciate all the feedback. Have some decisions to make.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Pappydude

I put an ADCO on my 2004 Komfort 23TS - the roof didn't rub - the darn plastic things that allow run off did! Rubbed two holes on on opposite corners of all places - the other two showed signs of wear but hadn't worn through. No, it wasn't to tight......now I'm considering yes or no on putting a cover on my 2012 Cougar 318 - gets a bit windy during the winter here in Oregon.......so it's still up for debate!
Pappydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
Murray0512

I took a swim noodle cut it up and put on my drain extensions has been ok so far . We get our share of wind here in NE. Ohio also
Murray0512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
greende

I have not had roof wear problems in the past but have had the paint wear off of the corner moldings with an ADCO. I had it tight but the flapping in the winter still caused wear. Like the above poster, I took it off and never put it back on.
greende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
Family_5ers

Sold on no cover, guess from the recommendations I just need to cover the wheels and air conditioner vents.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
therink

This goes against the grain but I use a 20' x 40' Grey tarp (extra heavy duty), that I purchased from Tractor Supply Store for around $150. Granted it is not cut to fit the shape of the fiver, but I use a lot of rope to secure it. Once secured, the wind does not move it. It takes about two hours and 100' or so of light duty rope, but once on it is tight and handles Upstate NY winters well. It looks like I shrink wrapped the trailer. I do not get ware marks, or any damage from the grommets. I have maxair vent covers, so I leave the vents open and crack a couple windows that are protected by the tarp. Plenty of ventilation and no mildew inside.
What I don't like about the regular rv covers is that they don't always fit well and tend to ruffle in the wind and may past a few years. They are also too much $ in my opinion.
I bought an expensive RV cover for a TT I had once and it ripped a the roof corners the first year.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #19
jsmith948

Well, we purchased an ADCO designer series Tyvex cover for our 5er in Feb of this year. The 5er was covered from mid March to early May and then late May until today. The roof and the rest of the unit is as clean as the day we covered it. We live in an extremely dry and dusty ag area. Our main purpose was to protect the roof and the decals from the harsh sunshine and triple digit temps.
We feel that the cover did its job. However, we are disappointed as to how well the cover is holding up. We have holes where the gutter extensions wore through(yes, they were padded) and there is a large area at the rear of the 5er (the western exposure) that appears to have simply rotted from the sun.
Bottom line - the cover does protect the rv, and without any apparent damage to the roof, but, it looks as though we will only get about 1 year's use out of our $360.00 expenditure. FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote